Why become a member? ×

7 String ACG build

Dread Bass

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1102834' date='Jan 25 2011, 09:45 PM']Only problem with the Conklins is the price =S

They have no european dealer (even though i asked Bill Conklin himself and he said he would like one!) and thus the import tax combined with actual price comes out at like £1300 new,

I'd LOVE a Conklin GTBD-7 fully active basses aren't my thing, and it would have to be red haha (I'm so picky =S)

Weight isn't a 'huge' issue but clunky? How so? Generally unrefiened design?

Thanks guys

Wish i could afford to get a new GTBD-7 =([/quote]
I've had a GTBD-7 which I struggle to remember how much I paid for, but it was around 600 quid second hand I think? Something like that. Maybe not quite down to entry level price, but the regular GT-7 is every bit as good, and cheaper still. I've also had a second hand US Conklin 7 Sidewinder, which cost me around 800 pounds I seem to remember. For what you get, those prices aren't unreasonable to me. The GT-7 is still THE 7 string to learn on IMO, and there are plenty floating around in the UK second hand. They seem to hold value fairly well too if you buy second hand.

As for the Galvestons, I find them to be unacceptably heavy (I'm normally quite forgiving with the weight of a bass - I'm pretty much happy up to about a stone). They're also large in the neck department. Some people might prefer the spacing of a generous 4 string on the neck of a 7, but it becomes much more difficult and tiring to play IME. They also have suffered from poor finishing when I've played them - the fretwork isn't astounding etc. I've heard fairly decent stuff about the Antonio Tsai basses you can pick up off eBay, but not had enough experience to offer a useful opinion to be honest.

Edited by Finbar

[quote name='Finbar' post='1106160' date='Jan 28 2011, 01:22 PM']I've had a GTBD-7 which I struggle to remember how much I paid for, but it was around 600 quid second hand I think? Something like that. Maybe not quite down to entry level price, but the regular GT-7 is every bit as good, and cheaper still. I've also had a second hand US Conklin 7 Sidewinder, which cost me around 800 pounds I seem to remember. For what you get, those prices aren't unreasonable to me. The GT-7 is still THE 7 string to learn on IMO, and there are plenty floating around in the UK second hand. They seem to hold value fairly well too if you buy second hand.

As for the Galvestons, I find them to be unacceptably heavy (I'm normally quite forgiving with the weight of a bass - I'm pretty much happy up to about a stone). They're also large in the neck department. Some people might prefer the spacing of a generous 4 string on the neck of a 7, but it becomes much more difficult and tiring to play IME. They also have suffered from poor finishing when I've played them - the fretwork isn't astounding etc. I've heard fairly decent stuff about the Antonio Tsai basses you can pick up off eBay, but not had enough experience to offer a useful opinion to be honest.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up man!

BTGAndys GTBD-7 sold for Approx. £850 and Manudepaz's GTBD-7 in spain is selling for £950 incl shipping. Both are natural though :/ haha

Only issue i have with the GT-7 is that its active, where as the GTBD is has passive pickups (and an active pre-amp) and is neck through which are two of my favourite things for me :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Dread Bass' post='1178460' date='Mar 27 2011, 04:57 PM']Ive managed to find a cheap seven string to last me until ma Mango is ready. Its an HK so dont know how good it will be but we will soon find out. I pick it up next weekend.[/quote]

Did you get the HK?

Some pics! As the thread hasn't been updated in a while, so this can be on his behalf :)

[url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Gallery/261/"]http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Gallery/261/[/url]

Just found that when looking around the ACG site! Looks like its going to be a stunner DB!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey. Sorry for delay. The HK is alright. Just alright. I am impressed by the build quality but the sound is pretty boring and the volume across the strings really unbalanced. I have managed to get it set up fairly well. Ultimately you get what you pay for and it will do until my new ACG is sorted. Hope this helps

[quote name='Dread Bass' post='1231510' date='May 15 2011, 12:07 AM']Hey. Sorry for delay. The HK is alright. Just alright. I am impressed by the build quality but the sound is pretty boring and the volume across the strings really unbalanced. I have managed to get it set up fairly well. Ultimately you get what you pay for and it will do until my new ACG is sorted. Hope this helps[/quote]

Cheers man! It looks like it will be a beaut! Think you'll hold onto the HK when your ACG gets to go home?

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Dread Bass' post='1273606' date='Jun 18 2011, 11:49 AM']Right time for a proper update with anew picture of the book matched fingerboard:[/quote]

Very nice piece of wood!!! :)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1107155' date='Jan 29 2011, 02:05 PM']Thanks for the heads up man!

BTGAndys GTBD-7 sold for Approx. £850 and Manudepaz's GTBD-7 in spain is selling for £950 incl shipping. Both are natural though :/ haha

Only issue i have with the GT-7 is that its active, where as the GTBD is has passive pickups (and an active pre-amp) and is neck through which are two of my favourite things for me :)[/quote]

i own a GT-7 and im currently in the process of replacing the pickups and preamp, and getting passive pickups made for a 7 string bass to fit in a P4 shell size with 16mm string spacing is harder than you would think, so now all i need is money to afford the pickups

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1317844429' post='1395408']
Mother of toilet seat Hello Kitty inlay at the 12th fret?
Looking good mate, can't wait to see what the surprise is too, unless I've already spoiled it... :)

Eude
[/quote]

Foiled again!!! haha. I had to be talked out of asking for pink LEDs by my band so you never know.

• 5 weeks later...