Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advice on ampeg micro vr stack

chrisasp

Like many now Im seriously thinking about down sizing my stack, sick of carting my heavy rig around for gigs now. Im thinking about purchasing an ampeg micro vr stack and just wondering if anyone has one or has played through on and give me any info on it.

For example, are they the real deal in terms of producing a powerful bass sound? I cant help thinking that Its almost a gimmick in terms of been a novelty toy 'mini' stack and as a result the sound been really thin and too practice ampish?

I play gigs such as weddings in function rooms to quite large university venues (but going through huge PA) so wondering if this stack would be able to handle these types of gigs?

Any help would be much appreciated and would love suggestions of similar small lightweight stacks that are better? Preferably in the same price range!!

Thanks

You can easily downsize the weight of cabs with no ill effects, but if you down size the size as well you will compromise your tone and volume.

For example, 2 112 cabs will weigh between 26 lbs and 40 lbs each and, with a 500 watt amp, will fill any stage you will play on and many rooms in spite of your PA! Unfortunately Ampeg isn't really known as a leader in modern lightweight cab technology.

I gigged the VR several times using two of the matching cabs stacked vertically. Our drummer was a moderate hitter and we play small quiet venues. It did OK, in fact, surprisingly well. The problem you will find if you're playing bigger or noisier venues is that whilst it'll do the job, it'll be doing so at the extreme end of its output most of the time, and you'll have no headroom and risk horrible digital distortion.

Whilst the unit is far from a gimmick, it's not, in my opinion, a gigging bass player's go-to first choice. If you want lightweight and powerful, there are plenty of other more powerful options

C

[quote name='chris_b' post='1051203' date='Dec 8 2010, 12:59 AM']You can easily downsize the weight of cabs with no ill effects, but if you down size the size as well you will compromise your tone and volume.

For example, 2 112 cabs will weigh between 26 lbs and 40 lbs each and, with a 500 watt amp, will fill any stage you will play on and many rooms in spite of your PA! Unfortunately Ampeg isn't really known as a leader in modern lightweight cab technology.[/quote]

Agree with this. I don't really know what Ampeg are upto anymore but I would suggest the market leaders in mini stack type rigs are Aguilar and possibly Berg for cabs...

I use the former with a 400w amp and it fills any room I have played so far and a few outdoor stages.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1051281' date='Dec 8 2010, 08:13 AM']Agree with this. I don't really know what Ampeg are upto anymore but I would suggest the market leaders in mini stack type rigs are Aguilar and possibly Berg for cabs...

I use the former with a 400w amp and it fills any room I have played so far and a few outdoor stages.[/quote]

Quite a differing price range though, I think the ampeg 2x10 plus amp comes in at around £500, aguilar or berg would come in at at least double that.

I'd recommend keeping an eye out for some secondhand markbass gear personally! :)

In my past use of Ampeg cabs they were always poor and underrated. I would hope they are much better now but there aren't many 2x10's that I would hammer at 400w plus and certainly not an Ampeg.

For this use, I'd keep an eye out for a second hand 2x12 which should come in well under £500 on here

[quote name='Beedster' post='1051267' date='Dec 8 2010, 07:45 AM']I gigged the VR several times using two of the matching cabs stacked vertically. Our drummer was a moderate hitter and we play small quiet venues. It did OK, in fact, surprisingly well. The problem you will find if you're playing bigger or noisier venues is that whilst it'll do the job, it'll be doing so at the extreme end of its output most of the time, and you'll have no headroom and risk horrible digital distortion.

Whilst the unit is far from a gimmick, it's not, in my opinion, a gigging bass player's go-to first choice. If you want lightweight and powerful, there are plenty of other more powerful options

C[/quote]
I`ve been thinking of getting one of these cabs to add in with my SVT 410 for bigger gigs, just to increase the presence & size of the sound. We`re not a very loud band - regular gigs, my Orange Terror, both gain & volume on 2 - so wondering if this will do what I`m after?

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1051583' date='Dec 8 2010, 12:33 PM']I`ve been thinking of getting one of these cabs to add in with my SVT 410 for bigger gigs, just to increase the presence & size of the sound. We`re not a very loud band - regular gigs, my Orange Terror, both gain & volume on 2 - so wondering if this will do what I`m after?[/quote]
I assume the volume on your bass is full up? Most people seem to do that!

On your next gig try the master volume on half or more and roll off the volume on the instrument until you get the same overall volume out of your rig. That might give you more "presence and size" to you sound. I think that amps usually sound better when the power amp is working harder.

Will give that a go, as yr right, def a full-volume guy. Though me being a bit of a hard-hitter, will probably knock the volume control back on full and really irritate my bandmates.

I`m prob concerned about nothing here, I`m sure that my 4x10 will be big enough sounding, its just as I`ve recently been using a 4x12, am probably looking at this pessimistically. I`ve downsized cabs to reduce "boominess" as the Terror is more bass heavy than my previous amp, and thought the Ampeg would suit it better, and that the SVT 210 would help in larger venues, after all, 6x10 speakers chuck out more than 4x10 (and roughly the same as 4x12).

Don't dismiss the cabs though, they really are great sounding and have a superb vintage tone, I think the Micro is the problem, take a look on Talkbass they have many discussions on the whole rig, the general theme ends on excellent cabs, but amp is just not quite there.

• 5 weeks later...

Update to my previous posts on this topic - I did get the 210, have paired it with the 410, tho now have a different amp, and it sounds great. We`re not a particularly loud band, so am not pushing it ridiculously hard, but at no point has it sounded like it is straining at all.

As an extra cab, I`d thoroughly recommend it, as a cab on its own, suppose it depends on type of band really. It would certainly have enough volume at 200 watts for many bands, not sure about the size and presence of the sound however.