Why become a member? ×

formingbands.co.uk

clauster

Frankly, they're all a bit hit and miss when it comes to generating a response to a specific proposition. On the whole they're most useful for howler "How not to do it" ads. And Musofinder seems to keep posts up for years - very little turnover afaics.

If I'm on the hunt for personnel, I stick ads everywhere - online, guitar shops, rehearsal complexes, etc.

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1051632' date='Dec 8 2010, 01:28 PM']Yeah, I just had a look too out of interest and they're all Devon/Dorset!

Truckstop[/quote]

I've just had a reply from the LemonRock editor. There is current no way to narrow the search geographically on LemonRock. Apparently ther's just a dearth of bass players in the south west at the moment, hence all the ads! It's so wierd and unusual that it's been raised as a subject on their forums!

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1051649' date='Dec 8 2010, 01:40 PM']On the whole they're most useful for howler "How not to do it" ads.[/quote]

As I want to maximise my chances of getting into a band again I'd welcome any feed back on what I've put up as my advert, which follows.
Please don't hold back. If I've made any howlers I'd rather know!

[quote][b][/b]Bassist seeks Blues/Soul/Classic Rock Band[b][/b]

Mature (i.e. 53) Rock/Blues/Soul bassist looking to join/form local(ish) band (eg. within 20 - 35 miles of Daventry), for regular gigging and fun.

Play with a very occassional local band doing Classic Rock and Blues (Free, purple, Hendrix, BB king, Kinks etc), and played with a more regular Bluesey/R&B* band until that recently folded (George Thorogood, T-Bone walker, Dr Feelgood, Fleetwood Mac, SRV etc etc).

Play Fretted and Fretless. I'd class myself as competent and reliable, but not flash (no slapping!).

Also working hard on vocals: Can do the vocals, can do the bass. Both together is still work in progress at the moment (Dec 2010), but getting there.

Good gear and own transport

** R&B as in what they used to call R&B - not this modern 'RnB' Stuff.[/quote]

I await your comments with interests.

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1051771' date='Dec 8 2010, 03:14 PM']As I want to maximise my chances of getting into a band again I'd welcome any feed back on what I've put up as my advert, which follows.
Please don't hold back. If I've made any howlers I'd rather know!

I await your comments with interests.[/quote]

Nice friendly advert :)

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1051771' date='Dec 8 2010, 03:14 PM']I await your comments with interests.[/quote]
Your ad is spot on and well-crafted. In terms of howlers, I was thinking more of this sort of guff:

"WHY CANT I FIND ANY SICKASS m*****f***erS 2 PLAY MY SONGS ARE YOU ALL f***ing LOSERS? I AM PLYAING 10 YEARS AND WTF? EVERY BAND i IN BREAK UP. WHAT'S THERE f***ing PROBLEM? TOTALLY ORIGNAL SNGS SOUND LIKE FOO FITERS, LADY GAGA, MTALICCA, C LOW GREENE. WORLD TOUR PLANNED MNAGEMNT READY. NEED DRUMS, BASE, 1ST GUTIAR, 2ND GUTIAR, PIANNO. NO f***ing TIMEWASTERS - R U REDY 2 ROCK?"

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='1052278' date='Dec 8 2010, 11:54 PM']You're lucky - all I got on JMB was various wannabes who think 'goth' = Evanescence, and 'punk' = Green Day...[/quote]

Just my 1p as someone who has looked at these sites over a number of years.

JMB for Scotland(West) seems primarily for 'screamo' teenagers unfortunately. I've never had any worthwhile contacts from FormingBands, even when I paid for a subscription. Gumtree probably has the most 'serious' ads on it. Partysounds is very good with its postcode and radius search, mostly genuine (ie not time-wasters) musos. Musolist has a lot of old ads. The Gig Guide (www.gigguide.co.uk) has some Scottish musos available/wanted. I did once join a band via an advert in adtrader.co.uk, although the number of musos looking there seems to have dropped off a lot. Bandmix seems more about promoting bands rather than finding musicians, a bit more like myspace. Find-a-musician.com suffers (for me) for having lack of searchability (unless you live in a very big county that has lots of ads).

Put an ad on all of them, don't pay for it and if it's meant to happen, the right person will see it. But try Gumtree and Partysounds first IMHO.

And yes, I'm still looking. Here's my ad on Partysounds (it suffers from the word limit on Partysounds - sensible critiques welcome):

Looking for any music making opportunities - I'll play most styles - wide-ranging tastes, classic rock is my favourite. Reasonable standard, previously played in 3 good covers bands, but happy to do originals too. Own gear/ transport etc. Not too fussed about making money, would like to gig again. OK to rehearse in Glasgow. I can read music, so can do shows/musicals/big bands/deps if required. . . cheers Glasgow Strathclyde Scotland

Hope the OP finds what they're looking for.

cheers

Ralph

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1051798' date='Dec 8 2010, 03:38 PM']Your ad is spot on and well-crafted. In terms of howlers, I was thinking more of this sort of guff:

"WHY CANT I FIND ANY SICKASS m*****f***erS 2 PLAY MY SONGS ARE YOU ALL f***ing LOSERS? I AM PLYAING 10 YEARS AND WTF? EVERY BAND i IN BREAK UP. WHAT'S THERE f***ing PROBLEM? TOTALLY ORIGNAL SNGS SOUND LIKE FOO FITERS, LADY GAGA, MTALICCA, C LOW GREENE. WORLD TOUR PLANNED MNAGEMNT READY. NEED DRUMS, BASE, 1ST GUTIAR, 2ND GUTIAR, PIANNO. NO f***ing TIMEWASTERS - R U REDY 2 ROCK?"[/quote]

Thanks. Even I can see the difference in style between this and mine!