Why become a member? ×

Purchase Matamp or Orange or ?

Billy Apple

Hello everyone,

Would appreciate some help. Looking to treat myself to a new valve rig, after many years of SS combos. After much research myself I cant make my mind up between the Orange AD200 or the Matamp GT200, with 1x15 and 4x10 cabs (maybe two 4x12?). Love to hear from owners of either of these. All opinions welcome, it all goes in the pot.

cheers,

Billy

Matamp and Orange aren't really comparable any more. Matamp are hand made to order, Orange are Chinese imports. Phone Matamp and tell them what you want and they will make it to suit. Also, don't mix a 4x10 and a 1x15, just get two 4x10s or two 1x15s, mixing gives worst of both worlds.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1049952' date='Dec 6 2010, 10:17 PM']Matamp and Orange aren't really comparable any more. Matamp are hand made to order, Orange are Chinese imports. Phone Matamp and tell them what you want and they will make it to suit. Also, don't mix a 4x10 and a 1x15, just get two 4x10s or two 1x15s, mixing gives worst of both worlds.

[/quote]

Thanks,

I have been speaking to Matamp. I thought that Orange valve amps were UK built, is this not the case? What are your thoughts on 4x12's compared to 4x10s?

[quote name='billyapple' post='1049960' date='Dec 6 2010, 10:26 PM']Thanks,

I have been speaking to Matamp. I thought that Orange valve amps were UK built, is this not the case? What are your thoughts on 4x12's compared to 4x10s?[/quote]

some orange are still handbuilt in the uk, they're very expensive though compared to the matamp equivelent. Can't comment on 12's vs 10's it all depends on the speakers and the box they're in

The AD200b is hand made in the UK, as are most of the cabinets they offer. If you like the tone of the Orange, go for it. If you aren't sure, check Matamp for sure!

Most of the actual parts to virtually all amps are from overseas.

Regarding mixing speakers, I personally don't care...the 4x10 sounds fantastic with the 1x15 and both work well on their own for different flavours. They sound, IMO, much better than the Ampeg 810E I used to own.

It's all down to personal taste.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1049992' date='Dec 6 2010, 10:53 PM']The AD200b is hand made in the UK, as are most of the cabinets they offer. If you like the tone of the Orange, go for it. If you aren't sure, check Matamp for sure!

Most of the actual parts to virtually all amps are from overseas.

Regarding mixing speakers, I personally don't care...the 4x10 sounds fantastic with the 1x15 and both work well on their own for different flavours. They sound, IMO, much better than the Ampeg 810E I used to own.

It's all down to personal taste.[/quote]

Thanks,

I don't fancy anything the size of an 810, or even a 610. Looking for something that can be split down, but turned into a bit of a beast

[quote name='Anders' post='1050067' date='Dec 6 2010, 11:46 PM']Try them out yourself.There is no better way for you to find out.
You might even find out you like something else even better.The Matampfactory in Huddersfield isn't insanely far away and i'm sure there's got to be a store nearby selling Orange.[/quote]

I know, you are right. I've tried out Orange at GAK in Brighton, and love them, I've yet to try Matamp, but their London dealer is not too far from me, so soon as. I realise that its all down to me, but with it involving a not inconsiderable amount of money, its good to get as much ammo as you can

[quote name='billyapple' post='1050083' date='Dec 7 2010, 12:02 AM']I know, you are right. I've tried out Orange at GAK in Brighton, and love them, I've yet to try Matamp, but their London dealer is not too far from me, so soon as. I realise that its all down to me, but with it involving a not inconsiderable amount of money, its good to get as much ammo as you can[/quote]

Don't forget matamp are custom ordered, so you could try one that sounds totally different to another.
Not got any experience other than with cabs, they are both ridiculously loud and heavy!!!! Who needs this whipping lightweight stuff anyway.

Orange in a nutshell (for me) is a one trick pony, but what a trick!!

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1050104' date='Dec 7 2010, 12:38 AM']Don't forget matamp are custom ordered, so you could try one that sounds totally different to another.
Not got any experience other than with cabs, they are both ridiculously loud and heavy!!!! Who needs this whipping lightweight stuff anyway.

Orange in a nutshell (for me) is a one trick pony, but what a trick!![/quote]

cheers,

'one trick pony, but what a trick!!' Nice quote, I don't see that as a down side, I enjoy straightforward simplicity, But the exclusivity of Matamp is not lost on me either

[quote name='billyapple' post='1050083' date='Dec 7 2010, 03:02 AM']I know, you are right. I've tried out Orange at GAK in Brighton, and love them, I've yet to try Matamp, but their London dealer is not too far from me, so soon as. I realise that its all down to me, but with it involving a not inconsiderable amount of money, its good to get as much ammo as you can[/quote]
If you love the Orange,get it.
I would not advise you to buy the Matamp without trying it out,that's the whole point with their amps by the way.Try it,have them tweak it to your liking.
I had about the same thoughts you have.I tried an Orange AD200MK3,loved it.Then i heard about Matamp being handbuilt,no circuitboard and so on.And that the Matamp would be insanely loud.
I bought a Matamp in standardversion without trying it.(I live in Sweden)It sounded very different to the Orange,more like a Mesa/Boogie.It was a bit louder but with 2 cabs the Orange is loud too.
Yes the Matamp is VERY well built,compared to the Orange,but the Orange might be good enough.In the end it's all about what it sounds like IMHO,so try the Matamp,you know what the Orange sounds like.

[quote name='Anders' post='1050170' date='Dec 7 2010, 08:16 AM']If you love the Orange,get it.
I would not advise you to buy the Matamp without trying it out,that's the whole point with their amps by the way.Try it,have them tweak it to your liking.
I had about the same thoughts you have.I tried an Orange AD200MK3,loved it.Then i heard about Matamp being handbuilt,no circuitboard and so on.And that the Matamp would be insanely loud.
I bought a Matamp in standardversion without trying it.(I live in Sweden)It sounded very different to the Orange,more like a Mesa/Boogie.It was a bit louder but with 2 cabs the Orange is loud too.
Yes the Matamp is VERY well built,compared to the Orange,but the Orange might be good enough.In the end it's all about what it sounds like IMHO,so try the Matamp,you know what the Orange sounds like.[/quote]

Excellent advice from a bassist who has been there and tried them all!

I agree, its down to your tastes.

Personally, I bought the AD200b because the tube grind is best IVE personally had the chance to hear. Not only that, Ive experienced excellent customer service and help from Neil at their Head Office. I was given the chance to go and test all their new amps last year around this time, and that was brilliant. The engineers came in and said: 'Sorry, there is a problem!'

At this point I thought I had been too loud.

Then he said: 'we can't hear you upstairs, you need to turn up a LOT more to appreciate the tone', and laughed.

I will, at some point, go and try a Matamp properly and not just for a few moments. I may even custom order one in a few years, who knows. But, at this stage Im really happy with my Orange setup.

Another point, whether you choose Orange or Matamp, they are both stupidly loud no matter what. Ive used the OBC115 with the AD200b Mk3 at full volume rehearsals against a drummer, vocalist, and 2 guitarists with 4x12s. I had the gain on approx. 2/3 and the master on 1/3.....awesome dirty tone but you could really 'feel' it coming out of the 1x15....which was elevated.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1050218' date='Dec 7 2010, 09:38 AM']Another point, whether you choose Orange or Matamp, they are both stupidly loud no matter what. Ive used the OBC115 with the AD200b Mk3 at full volume rehearsals against a drummer, vocalist, and 2 guitarists with 4x12s. I had the gain on approx. 2/3 and the master on 1/3.....awesome dirty tone but you could really 'feel' it coming out of the 1x15....which was elevated.[/quote]

+1 I did have another OBC115 on order, but cancelled it after my first gig. I've done a few gigs with it now, and even when just running off backline I've never had the master over 9 o'clock. It's a really efficient cab!

[quote name='billyapple' post='1050841' date='Dec 7 2010, 06:30 PM']....I played a Hiwatt, and found it much too clean for my tastes, plus the 200 head is retailing for near 2k, very pricey....[/quote]
SK8's amp is for sale for £800 ish. But it's not for you if it's got the wrong tone.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1050843' date='Dec 7 2010, 06:32 PM']SK8's amp is for sale for £800 ish. But it's not for you if it's got the wrong tone.[/quote]

Thanks for the pointer, Chris, a 2k amp for 800 is sweet. But, I'm also after cabs, and hoping to score a deal on the whole package, with warranty.

[quote name='billyapple' post='1050776' date='Dec 7 2010, 05:39 PM']Thanks for all the posts, much appreciated. Anyone with any experience with Matamp's after sales service?[/quote]

Their service on my Matamp was excellent, but it was quite a long time after it was sold in the late 70s. It is a small operation so you'll talk to someone who is on the ground if you call them. Fairly important not to mention Orange though.

It isn't so much to do with the split any more, the Orange that split off died and was buried. The current Orange is a resurrection (I think by the original guy), but there was a previous attempt at resurrecting the name between Matamp and Gibson, so there are at least 3 situations that sourness could have come from. At the end of the day, the Orange name was trading on a historic reputation earned by Matamp designed and made items, that were highly visible. They've rebuilt a rep by endorsing tons of things so their lurid amps are visible being played by the right bands, and you get the privilege of paying for those when you buy one. In short Orange is marketing, Matamp is engineering. Matamp don't like the fact that they are associated with a big corporate entity selling a mass produced brand name and Orange don't care about a tiny workshop in Huddersfield run by a grumpy northerner.

Hi everyone, found this forum while doing some Matamp research, thought I would throw in my $0.02

I have a GT200 and i love it. It is fairly clean, especially the preamp. Most of the distortion is going to come from the power section when you turn it up, which is the way I like it. I have never owned the AD200 but I do own a 70's SVT, Mesa 400+ and a Traynor YBA-3, and I have also previously owned a YBA200 and Fender 300 Pro. The SVT is by far the loudest of the bunch, but the Matamp is no slouch. Lots of volume. Someone compared it to the Mesa and I would have to disagree. The Matamp has more subdued highs and more lower midrange grunt. You can quite easily get a Mesa tone out of it, but I find that the Mesa can't really do the Matamp tone.

As far is Matamp's customer service, I have not dealt with them directly but I did deal with the North American distributor. I did have an issue with my GT200 when I first bought it. The amp would run for a few hours and then shut down. I took the amp to my tech and the distributor put him in touch with the Matmp factory. They were very helpful and found that a solder had come loose, probably during shipping, they paid for all the repairs and parts with no hassle at all. The amp runs perfectly now and it sounds great.

Now I am waiting for a custom face plate from Matamp, and I will definetly go back to get either an 8x10, 2 4x10s or a 2x15.

edit: I should mention that I did slightly modify the GT200 preamp. I changed the capacitor values on the depth knob. I found that with the depth knob all the way to the right there was no where near enough bass and I could not think of any situation where I would use that setting. I moved the capacitor form the middle setting to the right and I added a new value in the middle with slightly less bass than the bassiest setting. Also, as with all my amps, I replaced the V1 preamp tube with a 5751 which has a little less gain and smoother overdrive than the ECC83/12AX7.

Edited by the_brow