Why become a member? ×

Tuner And Pedal Ideas

spongebob

Didn't ever use a tuner before, but use one in the studio the other week, and life was so much easier! Always done it by ear before.

Looking at the Boss TU-80....but really open to ideas.

Is there one which sorts normal tuning and intonation?

On the same tip, I've been looking at some YT clips of bassist using effects. Never ever done this before, but thinking it may add some colour to my sound. Just wondering what people generally use, or can suggest for a starter in this area.

If it combines a tuner, the better!

The tu-80 is a nice bit of kit but personally i'd get a pedal tuner, either a korg or boss. both excellent.
For adding colour to you're sound I'd suggest a chorus pedal as a first buy, then maybe an octaver. Work you're way up to the "harsher" fx like synths gradually. Theres nothing worse than too many fx going on at once.

[quote name='Mog' post='1046635' date='Dec 3 2010, 06:02 PM']The tu-80 is a nice bit of kit but personally i'd get a pedal tuner, either a korg or boss. both excellent.
For adding colour to you're sound I'd suggest a chorus pedal as a first buy, then maybe an octaver. Work you're way up to the "harsher" fx like synths gradually. Theres nothing worse than too many fx going on at once.[/quote]

+1! i used to have a boss tu-2 now have a tu-3 awesome tuner and also it can power 7 other pedals!

yeh chorus is a nice start ive got a crappy behringer one and it does a nice job tbh! and i think it only cost about have what a boss chorus cost or you could just get a multi effects pedal and see what effects you like plus a friend of mine has a me-50b? i think thats what it is and that has a tuner built in so you get the lot!

andy

• 2 weeks later...

Try out something like the Boss ME-50B, which is fairly cheap. It has various effects to play with, has a built in tuner, and a pedal that can be used for volume - handy as a 'mute switch' between spots. The Boss GT-6B is a little more sophisticated (and more expensive), but is a bit easier to tweak settings, doesn't need separate bank switches and also has built in amp/cab emulation.

Separate pedals may offer slightly better quality effects, but a multi-effect box is an inexpensive way to start 'dabbling' with effects - and all of them come with built in tuners.

[color="#808080"]I'm still debating whether I want to sell the ME-50B that I no longer use, but might offer it up for trade for some entry-level home recording stuff in the near future...[/color]

I love the Korg Pitchblack tuner. It's small, built like a proverbial outhouse and very acurate. It even tunes my low F# strings - something I've seen lots of tuners struggle with. As for effects, maybe you could link us to some YT videos that you like the sounds of and we'll have a go at telling you how to go about getting those tones if you are unsure.

[quote name='dood' post='1059894' date='Dec 15 2010, 07:12 PM']I love the Korg Pitchblack tuner. It's small, built like a proverbial outhouse and very acurate. It even tunes my low F# strings - something I've seen lots of tuners struggle with. As for effects, maybe you could link us to some YT videos that you like the sounds of and we'll have a go at telling you how to go about getting those tones if you are unsure.[/quote]

+1

The pitchblack is great, a lot better than the TU-2 in my opinion. Is amazingly good on low strings without the need to use harmonics.

[quote name='Norris' post='1059488' date='Dec 15 2010, 01:05 PM']The Boss GT-6B is a little more sophisticated (and more expensive), but is a bit easier to tweak settings,[/quote]

Easier than what, mapping the flight coordinates for the Hubblle Space Telescope? :)

A fantastic piece of kit but I couldn't work on patches during the gig otherwise the song would be finished before I had managed to save the edited patch.

I've had my Korg DT-10 for about 5 or 6 years and its still working perfectly.

As for other effects, it depends what songs you do - I have the bass player's favourite, the Boss OC-2 which is great for some specific songs or adding another layer if you're playing with a single guitarist and they go for one of their extended solos.

Flanger and Chorus are probably the most commonly used with distortion or overdrive coming in next. Phasers, Envelope Filters and other things like that are mainly useful if you are playing a song that used one on the original recording or you are writing a song yourself and the sound suits.