Why become a member? ×

Bands you should never have quit...

Musicman20

In my time as a bassist, the times I was less bothered about gear and more bothered about normal life I was actually always in stronger bands.

I have 3 key bands I should never have left. Two are still going, so one was never meant to be anyway.

The 2 that are left are both originals bands, and one of them in particular was just stunning. I never knew it at the time as money was tight (post-student days so I was lacking funds) and I had other rubbish going on in my life, plus I was deciding about where to go next (which I finally did with my LPC...thankfully).

I feel like an idiot listening to them now. Im still in touch with them, and Ive emailed to see how they are. They are now a 2 piece with a live drummer they bring in for big gigs and the bass is all either programmed or on keys with the singer I think. They have suddenly got a huge following, especially overseas. Jealous? Hell yes. Feel like I should have realised back then the grass isnt always greener? Hell yes.

Dont get me wrong, I enjoy the band Im in now, but for sheer songwriting quality, I am still a little gutted I left.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1042164' date='Nov 30 2010, 11:49 AM']Back in the early 60's I had an audition with a 4 beat combo from Liverpool. I was offered the gig, but they were planning on doing some gigs in Germany for a while which I didn't fancy, so I turned them down.

I often wonder what happened to them...[/quote]

...probably never came to anything :)

I left a band that I`d been in for a fair few years, in early 90. I was then asked to join another band, which I did. We had a (local not major) record deal, did a UK tour, had a single/video released, but after about 4 years of solid gigging, up 7 down motorways, home at 5am, out to work at 8am, I just didn`t want to be in a band any longer, and wanted a break. They were a good band, and its prob the only one I should have stuck at. All the others, even after years have passed, I`m glad I left them.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1042135' date='Nov 30 2010, 11:26 AM']In my time as a bassist, the times I was less bothered about gear and more bothered about normal life I was actually always in stronger bands.

I have 3 key bands I should never have left. Two are still going, so one was never meant to be anyway.

The 2 that are left are both originals bands, and one of them in particular was just stunning. I never knew it at the time as money was tight (post-student days so I was lacking funds) and I had other rubbish going on in my life, plus I was deciding about where to go next (which I finally did with my LPC...thankfully).

I feel like an idiot listening to them now. Im still in touch with them, and Ive emailed to see how they are. They are now a 2 piece with a live drummer they bring in for big gigs and the bass is all either programmed or on keys with the singer I think. They have suddenly got a huge following, especially overseas. Jealous? Hell yes. Feel like I should have realised back then the grass isnt always greener? Hell yes.

Dont get me wrong, I enjoy the band Im in now, but for sheer songwriting quality, I am still a little gutted I left.[/quote]

Don't torture yourself with it, enjoy the memories and press on. May not be as good now as you remember anyway. Sounds like you're getting priorities sorted with mortgage etc, believe me things like that will matter more in the long run! If you keep playing, you'll find something bandwise that gives the old goose bumps again. I love to reminisce about the past punk band that I was in, and it was immense but I couldn't live like that anymore

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1042203' date='Nov 30 2010, 12:13 PM']I was in a 6 piece. We were on the verge of making it. Ginger said I didn't have the legs for the gig and Sporty was jealous of my looks. TV Spice was written out of the bands history. :)[/quote]

Yeah but Sporty got renamed Elephant so there is some justice in the world :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1042152' date='Nov 30 2010, 11:34 AM']Funniest one I ever came across was a huy who used to play drums where I went to school.
He went to an audition with a "rock band", got offered the job but didn't rate them very much and said "no thanks".
The band was Rainbow... :)[/quote]

Mate of mine did the same thing, but with Little Angels. About a year later he hung up his spurs and hasn't played since - pity really.

A

[quote name='Alien' post='1042585' date='Nov 30 2010, 04:57 PM']Mate of mine did the same thing, but with Little Angels. About a year later he hung up his spurs and hasn't played since - pity really.[/quote]

On the odd occasions I bumped into him I used to have a little tease but it's not as much fun as it used to be since he found out that I'm not a lot better at making choices either. :)

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1042164' date='Nov 30 2010, 11:49 AM']Back in the early 60's I had an audition with a 4 beat combo from Liverpool. I was offered the gig, but they were planning on doing some gigs in Germany for a while which I didn't fancy, so I turned them down.

I often wonder what happened to them...[/quote]

You was in The Ruttles? :)