Why become a member? ×

G and L Tribute L2500

Truckstop

Really odd.
Although I've never gassed for one of these (or a jazz....or a 5-er), I had a dream on tuesday night where I was playing one. All I knew was, was it had 'G and L' on the headstock; no idea what model! One quick search on Bassdirect later and now I'm going nuts for them. They look great and although I've never really fancied a Jazz before, I think it'll be worth taking the plunge for it. In my dream, it sounded incredible and also, even though it's only got five strings, I appeared to be able to play it perfectly! Recently, I've been gassing for Warwicks, but now I'm totally sold on these! Also, £650?! Amazing.

So, does anyone have one? Anyone got any thoughts on these? Or can anyone suggest another similarly priced Jazz 5-er I might also be (very easily) entranced by?

Cheers for your thoughts.

Truckstop

G&L Tributes are excellent basses - if anything they're too good in the sense that I feel no desire to own a USA G&L. Same pickups as USA models, which let's face it is where most of the sound comes from. I have an L-2000 and I have found it to be excellent quality. I don't see how an L-2500 will be any different. The only thing you need to get used to is the EQ, which is cut only.

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1036469' date='Nov 25 2010, 03:20 PM']Cut only? That's interesting. I don't remember that being covered in my dream...
So there's really not much difference between a USA and a Tribute?

Truckstop[/quote]

Yeah, the bass and treble controls are passive, cut only. The trick is to run them both around 80% for a kick off then adjust as necessary. While they have an active mode, it is little more than a line boost. There is a treble boosted active mode which can impart a little more top end sizzle if that's your thing.

I think the idea is that the MFD pickups are so damn good that they don't need help from active EQ. I'd have to say that in my experience that is true - I mostly use my L-2000 in passive mode.

Main differences (USA vs. Tribute): better tuners, slightly more attention to detail (like tuners being screwed on straight!), US made hardware instead of licensed reproductions, choice of neck profiles (for 4 stringers), probably nicer looking woods, more choice of finishes, options like body binding.

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1036469' date='Nov 25 2010, 03:20 PM']Cut only? That's interesting. I don't remember that being covered in my dream...
So there's really not much difference between a USA and a Tribute?

Truckstop[/quote]

The cut only doesn't take that much getting used to, and works surpsingly well. They're active (obviously), and cutting treble actually sounds to my ears pretty much like you're boosting bass, but without the volume jump you get when you boost most active EQs.

In any event, I tend to find myself using the various switches for most tonal variations. Once you've worked out which switch does what, its a very effective set up.

As neepheid says, the pickups are the same as the US model, so soundwise I doubt there's any difference. And the finish is flawless on mine, and the woodgrain much nicer than on my natural finish Stingray. I suspect the price difference is principally down to comparative labout costs uin the US and Indonesia.

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1036280' date='Nov 25 2010, 01:14 PM']So, does anyone have one? Anyone got any thoughts on these? Or can anyone suggest another similarly priced Jazz 5-er I might also be (very easily) entranced by?

Cheers for your thoughts.[/quote]

I had one for a while and it sold on here for £350, the going rate for a clean second-hand one which I think is a lot of bass for the money.

It's not fair to compare it to a Jazz, since it will do convincing P-bass and Stingray impressions too. Very versatile great sounding bass and the only reason I moved mine on was because the neck was a little chunky I decided I prefer a wider string spacing and a flatter thinner profile neck.

I had a Tribute GL2000 with maple neck. Great bass.
The only downside was the quality of the pots. Mine started playing up not long after I bought it new. I've heard others with the same problem.
The shop that I bought them from swapped mine for US Mighty Mite ones and it was lovely from then on.
You could do it yourself but it's a bit tricky soldering as it's all a bit tight in there.

Fantastic basses. I`ve got an L2000 Tribute and it`s flawless. Strangley enough, like Neepheid, I also run it in passive mode. I just use the active mode at the end of the night when the volume of the band seems to go up. Just gives it a wee extra kick. And if you use the active mode and the battery chucks it, it will still work in passive mode. Well handy as the battery is behind the plastic control plate cover.

Jez