Why become a member? ×

Unbeliveable!!!!

birdy

You've seriously got to have some doubts over this sellers integrity. I've not taken much notice of his sales... why would I; Fender :) but his arrogant replies to the question of the bridge saddles is beyond belief. Even if you are sick of silly questions, he must realise that people are buying blind and any question relating to instruments of that value should be answered thoroughly.

Faking is big money and I remember cases back in the 80's of 'very' good replicas, it has to be easier and worth more money to do it now!

[quote name='lowdown' post='118665' date='Jan 11 2008, 04:37 PM']Did 66's have neck bindings...?

Garry[/quote]

Hmm, I was thinking the same thing. I thought only the 70s ones had blocks+binding.

But hey, my knowledge of vintage fenders is lacking.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='144747' date='Feb 21 2008, 10:31 PM']Nah - introduced in 1966.[/quote]

Ahh. That seller's attitude pisses me off. How can you "not feel like" taking pictures for potential buyers? Either he is confident that he can sell it to someone else for that price, or he has something to hide.

[quote name='thedonutman' post='144751' date='Feb 21 2008, 10:35 PM']Ahh. That seller's attitude pisses me off. How can you "not feel like" taking pictures for potential buyers? Either he is confident that he can sell it to someone else for that price, or he has something to hide.[/quote]

I was a bit pissed one evening and decided to offer him $800 for it! Then I offered $805. He sent me a nasty email calling me a loser and a "douchebag" He told me that 800 bucks wouldn`t buy the air around this bass so I offered him $850 for the air!

I asked him what "douchebag" meant and suggested that it might be someone that tries to sell something for far more than it`s worth!

[quote name='Davetbass' post='144770' date='Feb 21 2008, 11:04 PM']I was a bit pissed one evening and decided to offer him $800 for it! Then I offered $805. He sent me a nasty email calling me a loser and a "douchebag" He told me that 800 bucks wouldn`t buy the air around this bass so I offered him $850 for the air!

I asked him what "douchebag" meant and suggested that it might be someone that tries to sell something for far more than it`s worth![/quote]

That's given me my first laugh of the day..... Thanks ! :)

I'm going to email him and ask him to pick my lottery numbers... I don't know about you but how the hell does he happen upon guitars that are 20/30/40/50 years old and so many of them have the brightest shiniest [b]"untouched solder joints"[/b]! Look closely and you will note that he is a cunning linguist (or something like that), as he has cleverly worded certain items.

[b]"All original electronics. No broken solder joints."[/b] - How can he prove that they are all original? Of course the solder joints aren't broken otherwise it wouldn't work! You notice he doesn't say 'untouched solder joints' and in the pics they don't look as bright and shiny as some of his other offerings. Roughly translated one of us might have said [b]"the pots have been desoldered/resoldered but they look like they are from the correct period"[/b].

[b]"All original electronics"[/b] - NOT his usual 'untouched solder joints' nor does it say the previous 'No broken solder joints', slight oversight or judicious use of language? Funnily enough this particular instrument has no pictures of the solder or electronics... why?

I've spent too much time looking through his listings already especially as it doesn't affect me in any way and I'll not be buying from him. However it does make me appreciate why the CAR owner may be so frustrated :)

[quote]OK so can they prove it's not a Mark Kendrick 66 Masterbuild they bought for $4000 ?

I had one and they are all actually Quarter Sawn necks but the reputation of this seller goes befor him ![/quote]

Like this one [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-USA-Fender-1966-JAZZ-BASS-MasterBuilt-M-Kendrick_W0QQitemZ200200615334QQihZ010QQcategoryZ64400QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-USA-Fender-1966-J...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

[quote name='markytbass' post='144954' date='Feb 22 2008, 12:25 PM']Like this one [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-USA-Fender-1966-JAZZ-BASS-MasterBuilt-M-Kendrick_W0QQitemZ200200615334QQihZ010QQcategoryZ64400QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-USA-Fender-1966-J...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url][/quote]

Mark Kendrick is my bass tutor!
Different guy, I think.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='148913' date='Feb 29 2008, 01:04 PM']It's a bit Schrödinger's Bass. Can you prove there's actually a mint 77 Thunderbird in there without opening the box?

And what about the poor Japanese collector who buys it and then has the box opened by customs...[/quote]

Ha ha thats like Prospector Pete in Toy Story :)

Anyway I don't believe that's a Gibson Thunderbird in there
"Popular "reverse" design - first introduced in 1963 - offers a balanced comfortable feel."

Balanced?

[quote name='OldGit' post='148981' date='Feb 29 2008, 02:56 PM']Anyway I don't believe that's a Gibson Thunderbird in there
"Popular "reverse" design - first introduced in 1963 - offers a balanced comfortable feel."

Balanced?[/quote]
Perfectly balanced. However, the act of removing it from the box seriously affects the balance and causes the Thunderbird to be the only bass model in history that gets dinged headstocks from the floor and dents near the rear strap peg from low ceilings.