Why become a member? ×

Genz-Benz Streamliner

Musicman20

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1047130' date='Dec 4 2010, 10:02 AM']Than new 3.8lb 500w Aguilar looks like it might be interesting, too...[/quote]
+1, and if they keep it as high quality and MIA as usual, it will be very popular! Also it's listed as $699 approx so it's going to be a competitive price.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='JTUK' post='1113738' date='Feb 3 2011, 12:27 PM']hmmmm... I'd like to see and hear and 12" or 15" speaker handling 500-600w of bass on its own so do rather agree that a micro amp for the carry factor is rather a load of nonsense...ditto the cabs.[/quote]
I dun understanned....?

[quote name='JTUK' post='1113738' date='Feb 3 2011, 12:27 PM']hmmmm... I'd like to see and hear and 12" or 15" speaker handling 500-600w of bass on its own so do rather agree that a micro amp for the carry factor is rather a load of nonsense...ditto the cabs.[/quote]

Well it means you can put the head in a laptop bag and stick it over your shoulder rather than carrying it. Compare it to a big old Ampeg in a flightcase which is a two hand carry - so it'll save you a trip.

My Schroeder is a one hand carry and it does big gigs on it's own with a 500w amp, loads of people gig with a single compact etc.

Imagine - bass in gigbag, head in laptop bag, leads in shoulder bag, one lightweight cab (2x12 etc.) in each hand - one trip from car to stage and you've got a loud as hell rig!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1113756' date='Feb 3 2011, 12:40 PM']Well it means you can put the head in a laptop bag and stick it over your shoulder rather than carrying it. Compare it to a big old Ampeg in a flightcase which is a two hand carry - so it'll save you a trip.

My Schroeder is a one hand carry and it does big gigs on it's own with a 500w amp, loads of people gig with a single compact etc.

Imagine - bass in gigbag, head in laptop bag, leads in shoulder bag, one lightweight cab (2x12 etc.) in each hand - one trip from car to stage and you've got a loud as hell rig![/quote]

Many people want an easy carry and that is understandable but 900watts and two cabs is getting away from a single carry esp as the main reason people want this is to help their backs. Loading up like you say with a cab in each hand adds up to quite a strain so the people might be able to do it but it puts them into the position they wanted to get away from.
I think you'll end up doing light carries and often rather than a full load up.

And 900watts on a gig just doesn't make sense. You need to playing stages for that and then you'd never go on stage with most of the lightweight gear here anyway... and you'll have hired help most times.

I am not set up to do stages with my gear but I have 400watts and any gig worth doing that needs louder than that will have decent foldback. If I toured, I'd have 750 and 2 castored cabs.

Of course, you don't have to use all on tap... but, really..900watts..!!!

[quote name='JTUK' post='1113782' date='Feb 3 2011, 12:56 PM']Many people want an easy carry and that is understandable but 900watts and two cabs is getting away from a single carry esp as the main reason people want this is to help their backs. Loading up like you say with a cab in each hand adds up to quite a strain so the people might be able to do it but it puts them into the position they wanted to get away from.
I think you'll end up doing light carries and often rather than a full load up.

And 900watts on a gig just doesn't make sense. You need to playing stages for that and then you'd never go on stage with most of the lightweight gear here anyway... and you'll have hired help most times.

I am not set up to do stages with my gear but I have 400watts and any gig worth doing that needs louder than that will have decent foldback. If I toured, I'd have 750 and 2 castored cabs.

Of course, you don't have to use all on tap... but, really..900watts..!!![/quote]

I agree with some points, but others don't make much sense...?

Why carry heavy stuff if you don't have to? For example, I carry two 2x10s to most gigs. They're not a massive schlep by any means. Since I moved from MESA to the TC RH450, it's nice not to have to carry a lead-sled head too. It actually cuts down a trip.

Too much power? Well, that's probably what the Streamliner 600 is for... but the 900 is only 100 quid more, and it puts more into 8ohm.

I like these big power micro-heads, they work extremely well for getting almost every last dB SPL out of certain cabs.

Also, it should be noted that the difference between 400W and 900W is not terribly large, once you figure in power compression it's less than 3dB. Those extra few dB can make the difference between being slightly lost in the mix and sitting just right but it isn't a substantial increase at all. If you want to know what 3dB difference in loudness sounds like, next time you have an outdoor gig stand 10' from your rig. Then stand about 15' away. That's about 3dB difference in loudness. Not a lot is it?

[quote name='Raggy' post='1113880' date='Feb 3 2011, 02:12 PM']Thats not always the case[/quote]

It would be for me. If I needed a 900watt rig on stage and they didn't have decent foldback with multiple mixes I'd be thinking the crew/promoter didn't know what they are doing..or it was a budget affair.

I don't think any PA that only provides vocal mixes is a rig worth hiring tbh. Do it properly or not at all.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1113999' date='Feb 3 2011, 03:31 PM']It would be for me. If I needed a 900watt rig on stage and they didn't have decent foldback with multiple mixes I'd be thinking the crew/promoter didn't know what they are doing..or it was a budget affair.

I don't think any PA that only provides vocal mixes is a rig worth hiring tbh. Do it properly or not at all.[/quote]
I do gigs with a multitude of circumstances when it comes to PA. As things sometimes don't turn out as planned, and it's not always something I can influence, I'd rather just be prepared for whatever.

900 watts is bloody loud, mind, but if it's there....

I can carry all my gear in one trip! Bass in a gigbag on my back, 9.0 in the carrybag on my shoulder, 12" cab in one hand and a travel suitcase (about 55cm high) with trolley where i carry bass, mic and music stands, mic, cables, pedalboard and a folder with the music on the other hand. I'm still trying to find where i can get o trolley system to aply on my cab so i don't have to carry it lifted!
Any help would be great :)

I bought the 9.0 for it's sound, not it's power! 900W is too much for what i usualy play but i wouldn't have GB remove some wats just because i don't use them... you never know when it might come in handy!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1114047' date='Feb 3 2011, 04:02 PM']900 watts is bloody loud, mind, but if it's there...[/quote]

It's only bloody loud if:

1. There's enough gain in the system to reach full power for how hard you're playing and how 'hot' your bass is.
2. It's plugged into a speaker! :)
3. That speaker has enough sensitivity and power handling to turn that electrical power into a large amount of acoustic power.

A good 1x12" will be about 2% efficient, a good 4x10" will be about 5% efficient (in the upper bass to mid mids - for low bass that much efficiency requires huge horn subs).

So 500W in (assuming an 8 ohm nominal load) equals 10W of sound out, and 900W in (4 ohm nominal) equals 45W of sound out. And that's in a perfect world with enough of both varieties of power handling (ha!) and zero power compression.

All the rest of the power (490W in the case of the 1x12") comes out as heat. Good for those unheated winter rehearsal rooms...