Why become a member? ×

Hopeful Big Al 4 SSS purchase.

Prime_BASS

After discovering the graceful active sound of the MM stingray, I've been yearning for something similar (interns of neck, and possible sound) however that at least looks different and is able to produce a wider range of sounds.
I was stuck in a frame of mind of not wanting some from the same manufacturer.
This was broken by playing a friend of a friends Big Al 4 SSS.
I liked it when I first saw it last year but now I've played on one, I need it in my life.
I think the only way they could be better is if they could have been manufactured between late 80s and early 90s so automatically come with the bigger bridges and Birdseye maple neck, or if they were roasted maple neck ( haha )

I've already emailed Mark at bass direct asking about them (really want a White one) and he says it's a matter of what they can get in. If I'm sensible ( :/ ) and sell my jaguar bass (in the for sale section, shameless plug) I can get it before christmas.
I'm quite giddy with excitement.

Thought I'd share the news with you guys.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1034670' date='Nov 24 2010, 02:07 AM']After discovering the graceful active sound of the MM stingray, I've been yearning for something similar (interns of neck, and possible sound) however that at least looks different and is able to produce a wider range of sounds.
I was stuck in a frame of mind of not wanting some from the same manufacturer.
This was broken by playing a friend of a friends Big Al 4 SSS.
I liked it when I first saw it last year but now I've played on one, I need it in my life.
I think the only way they could be better is if they could have been manufactured between late 80s and early 90s so automatically come with the bigger bridges and Birdseye maple neck, or if they were roasted maple neck ( haha )

I've already emailed Mark at bass direct asking about them (really want a White one) and he says it's a matter of what they can get in. If I'm sensible ( :/ ) and sell my jaguar bass (in the for sale section, shameless plug) I can get it before christmas.
I'm quite giddy with excitement.

Thought I'd share the news with you guys.[/quote]
Congratulations! It's the only bass MM make that looks good. I've read reviews and apparently it's a fantastic instrument! What colour? Has to be white really :)

I am selling a brand new Big Al 5 SSS if you want to upscale to five strings, its in mint conditions as are all my basses.

you can see it here: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170558107269&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...=STRK:MESELX:IT[/url]

Yeah, i really want one too!

Gotta save up some cash first though!

I was tempted (very tempted) by Wazoo's one but my funds were tied down to upgrading my amp and cab etc.

Maybe if its still about after ive recovered financially from xmas i will be in the market for one again.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1035147' date='Nov 24 2010, 02:57 PM']I am selling a brand new Big Al 5 SSS if you want to upscale to five strings, its in mint conditions as are all my basses.

you can see it here: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170558107269&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...=STRK:MESELX:IT[/url][/quote]
It's not white and red is a horrible colour for a bass. BUT, that looks utterly magnificent! It's also the only bass that looks ace in red sparkle, especially with the maple board. Gorgeous!!

(too many strings though :D )

Off your auction. :) :) :lol:
[b]
Question & Answer [/b]
[b]Q: [/b] would you possbibly be interested in trading in towards a Ritter Roya 5string Fretless, brand new, plus cash? The bass is brand new. Did cost EUR 5970 and I would let it go for EUR 4995. I would be willing to accept the full price you paid originally for your bass. Let me know. My email: ******@web.de 17-Nov-10

[b]A: [/b] No.

Edited by silddx

Thanks but i agree with Silddx, too many strings and not White.
Good luck with the sale.

Incredibly this will only be my 3rd ever new guitar. The second new bass.

I don't think I'll be too anal with it, I plan on gigging the crap.

Just working out a deal with The Bass Merchant.

[quote name='silddx' post='1035251' date='Nov 24 2010, 04:32 PM']It's not white and red is a horrible colour for a bass. BUT, that looks utterly magnificent! It's also the only bass that looks ace in red sparkle, especially with the maple board. Gorgeous!!

(too many strings though :D )

Off your auction. :) :) :lol:
[b]
Question & Answer [/b]
[b]Q: [/b] would you possbibly be interested in trading in towards a Ritter Roya 5string Fretless, brand new, plus cash? The bass is brand new. Did cost EUR 5970 and I would let it go for EUR 4995. I would be willing to accept the full price you paid originally for your bass. Let me know. My email: ******@web.de 17-Nov-10

[b]A: [/b] No.[/quote]

That's nothing, some other tw@t off talkbass offered me a vintage collector watch as a swap! I told him where to get off too, and I also drew him a picture showing where he can place his poxy watch, and that was not on his wrist! :P

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Meenie' post='1036061' date='Nov 25 2010, 11:06 AM']If I do end up buying new I'm either going all black or blue with black scratchplate.

Wazoo, you really are an angry young man!
:)[/quote]

I'm not being funny but I gave the guy a sound medical advice, if he sticks his watch up his "you know what", he won't have worry about constipation anymore, he'll be as regular as...

clockwork :) :lol: :D

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1036335' date='Nov 25 2010, 01:50 PM']I'm not being funny but I gave the guy a sound medical advice, if he sticks his watch up his "you know what", he won't have worry about constipation anymore, he'll be as regular as...

clockwork :) :) :lol:[/quote]

Good job it wasn't a grandfather clock, he could end up with a prolapsed pendulum!

[quote name='jimmyb625' post='1036412' date='Nov 25 2010, 02:41 PM']Have you checked GAK? They have a white Big Al listed at what seems to be a reasonable price.[/quote]

I did however my experience with them in the past hasn't been favourable, plus I don't have the full amount to pay ASAP.

Just got off the phone with the ever helpful Darren at The Bass Merchant and I've put my deposit down for :

Big Al 4 string
White finish
Black pickguard
Rosewood fretboard
Triple singe coil pickups

Should arrive in febuary.

Can't wait.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1036527' date='Nov 25 2010, 03:55 PM']I did however my experience with them in the past hasn't been favourable, plus I don't have the full amount to pay ASAP.

Just got off the phone with the ever helpful Darren at The Bass Merchant and I've put my deposit down for :

Big Al 4 string
White finish
Black pickguard
Rosewood fretboard

Can't wait.[/quote]

Mint setup. Not only is it classy, white w/black and rosewood is rather 'punk' which I always like.

Glad you went for the rosewood as well, just because I sit firmly in camp rosewood :)

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1036527' date='Nov 25 2010, 03:55 PM']I did however my experience with them in the past hasn't been favourable, plus I don't have the full amount to pay ASAP.

Big Al 4 string
White finish
Black pickguard
Rosewood fretboard

Can't wait.[/quote]

Have you got it yet? Interested to see what what you think and what settings people are favouring on the Big Al as there are so many available. I should have mine by the middle of this month - can't wait :) Also big thanks to Musicman20 for his excellent review, certainly helped clarify a few things.
:)

[quote name='danhkr' post='1146852' date='Mar 2 2011, 10:35 AM']Have you got it yet? Interested to see what what you think and what settings people are favouring on the Big Al as there are so many available. I should have mine by the middle of this month - can't wait :) Also big thanks to Musicman20 for his excellent review, certainly helped clarify a few things.
:)[/quote]

No probs! Glad there are more daring enough to give this unusual bass a try :lol:

What colour/spec have you gone for?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1146858' date='Mar 2 2011, 10:39 AM']No probs! Glad there are more daring enough to give this unusual bass a try :)

What colour/spec have you gone for?[/quote]

It's a Big Al 4 SSS, black/tort/rosewood (exactly like the one on the MM site). Not that I've chosen the colour, it's just what was available at the right price, but I like it anyway. Love the sterling neck and general MM build, but wanted something totally different from the usual MM humbucker.

Did you decide to still go for one??

[quote name='danhkr' post='1146899' date='Mar 2 2011, 11:13 AM']It's a Big Al 4 SSS, black/tort/rosewood (exactly like the one on the MM site). Not that I've chosen the colour, it's just what was available at the right price, but I like it anyway. Love the sterling neck and general MM build, but wanted something totally different from the usual MM humbucker.

Did you decide to still go for one??[/quote]

Sure did. I still want a 5 string version as well, but Ive gone for a Big Al 4 SSS, White, Rosewood board, Tort plate.

Its been 4 months so Im sure its due soon.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1146929' date='Mar 2 2011, 11:35 AM']Sure did. I still want a 5 string version as well, but Ive gone for a Big Al 4 SSS, White, Rosewood board, Tort plate.

Its been 4 months so Im sure its due soon.[/quote]

Must be. Worth the wait though I'm sure. White/rw/tort is a classic combination as well.

If I'm honest, I don't usually go for stuff with tonnes of settings, but I love EBMM but wanted something totally different in sound and appearance to the Sterling. Also l love the look of the big al even though people I know have described it as everything from 'cool as ****' to 'hideous'!

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='1146967' date='Mar 2 2011, 12:15 PM']Big Al's are Amazing!!

I think mine will be removed from the for sale section soon!! :)[/quote]

Amazed you wanted shut of it so soon after getting it!