Why become a member? ×

Lemon Oil

Oggy

[quote name='Martin E' post='1033233' date='Nov 22 2010, 09:50 PM']Boiled Linseed Oil. Been using it on fretboards and unsealed bodies for years. Seems quite harmless - smells nice too.[/quote]
This. Thinned with a little Distiiled Turpentine to aid penetration.

That Jerzy Drozd recommends boiled linseed too.

P.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1033311' date='Nov 22 2010, 10:40 PM']I have an unopened tub of Dunlop 65 because I got it without realising it cant be used on maple boards! AFAIK Im a dingbat.....what do you lot use on maple boards then?[/quote]

As long as the necks finish is still intact then all you are going to be doing is cleaning the surface as nothing really penetrates the lacquer.

...Mr Sheen :)

Edited by icastle

[quote name='Bassman Sam' post='1033319' date='Nov 22 2010, 10:46 PM']I went to buy some Dunlop 65 lemon oil on Saturday but when reading the label it said "not for use on maple fretboards". Why?[/quote]

Only a guess but probably because it can't soak through the lacquer into the wood and will therefore leave you with an oil slick on the fingerboard.

[quote name='icastle' post='1033317' date='Nov 22 2010, 10:44 PM']As long as the necks finish is still intact then all you are going to be doing is cleaning the surface as nothing really penetrates the lacquer.

...Mr Sheen :)[/quote]

My pre EB Ray is laquered so I guess I can use it on that then? But the later EBMM's are gunstock oiled instead so I just use a bit of spittle! :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1033327' date='Nov 22 2010, 10:54 PM']My pre EB Ray is laquered so I guess I can use it on that then? But the later EBMM's are gunstock oiled instead so I just use a bit of spittle! :lol:[/quote]

Yeah I've used Mr Sheen on lacquered necks for years and never had any problems.
I did read somewhere that Lemon Oil on unlacquered maple makes it go rough so not sure what Mr Sheen would do to it - so carry on with the "dribble and rub" technique if that works for you... :) :) :D

Edited by icastle

[quote name='icastle' post='1033326' date='Nov 22 2010, 10:52 PM']Only a guess but probably because it can't soak through the lacquer into the wood and will therefore leave you with an oil slick on the fingerboard.[/quote]
Exactly correct. Why would you want to oil lacquer?