Why become a member? ×

Looking for a new amp

Mandril

Hi mates!

I bought a Barefaced Vintage due to the "hype" here a year ago to use it with a spanish hand-made 100W tube amp I have, as I was getting less volume than I wished with my cab back then.

Now I'm not really liking the sound of the amp. I've tried it with a guitar and sounds way better, so I'm selling it as a guitar amp (is kind of a blackface copy) and looking for a new amp.

I love tube amps, but I don't have the cash for a SVT or an Orange. I play rock/metal, a vintage precision, both pick and fingerstyle.

I've been looking into the TC Classic 450, the LMIII with the VTBass (which I have), the Ashdown Klystron 500... I'm looking for a classic rock precision bass sound: warm, punchy, growly...

So what amp do you think would be a good combination with the Barefaced Vintage to get there?

If you already have a VT bass, you can just get a power amp and use the VT as a preamp, that will give you cheap power, and VT bass tone. What is your budget like? You can get valve amps that aren't Orange or SVT for not insane money. I think I can sort a working SC120 for around £350, given notice, will have more balls than a blackface clone.

I`ve been very impressed with my Orange Terror Bass amp. I play Precisions, and using the OTB into my Marshall VBC 412 get a great sound for punk/rock, exactly what you describe, warm/punchy/growly.

There is also my Marshall DBS 7400 up for grabs at £350ono. Marshall = rock/metal. Great amp, just my bad back needed some tlc from me, and buying the OTB was how I did it, if the Marshall had been the same weight I wouldn`t have needed to change, as I was perfectly happy with the sound. Its not a valve amp, but has a valve in the pre-amp, and ou can coax some great sounds from it.

I had the Orange Terror Bass and I didn't like it. Which power amp might work well with the VT?

My budget is what I'll get from selling my amp, I guess around 600-700 pounds.

How good are the Sound Citys? Are they something like the hiwatts? Anyway, remember I'm from Spain, so shipping a valve amp from UK might be too expensive...

[quote name='Mandril' post='1032347' date='Nov 22 2010, 10:32 AM']I had the Orange Terror Bass and I didn't like it. Which power amp might work well with the VT?

My budget is what I'll get from selling my amp, I guess around 600-700 pounds.

How good are the Sound Citys? Are they something like the hiwatts? Anyway, remember I'm from Spain, so shipping a valve amp from UK might be too expensive...[/quote]

Sound City were the budget answer to the HiWatt kit.

There's a whole pile of info about them here: [url="http://www.soundcitysite.com/sc_webpages/sc_home.htm"]http://www.soundcitysite.com/sc_webpages/sc_home.htm[/url]

[quote name='icastle' post='1032357' date='Nov 22 2010, 10:49 AM']Sound City were the budget answer to the HiWatt kit.

There's a whole pile of info about them here: [url="http://www.soundcitysite.com/sc_webpages/sc_home.htm"]http://www.soundcitysite.com/sc_webpages/sc_home.htm[/url][/quote]

More Hiwatt were expensive answer to sound city since SC were first and the guy moved on from them to form Hiwatt. The MKIVs are pretty noisy as they have an active preamp, I'm fighting with one at the moment, there are things to do to clean them up, but they are pretty damn powerful. Should be a lot of grunt into a Vintage.

[quote name='Mandril' post='1033463' date='Nov 23 2010, 01:47 AM']Thanks!

Anyway, I was looking for BF Vintage users to comment about their amps... :)[/quote]

Well, we gave Merton's a good work out at last year's SE Bass Bash with my Burman Pro 4000 and it sounded very loud to me, and I'm going deaf!

[quote name='Mandril' post='1033885' date='Nov 23 2010, 01:56 PM']And what about power amps with the VT Bass? Which one would be ok? I know nothing about power amps...[/quote]

On spec they are much of a muchness, a good name is nice for reliability, but aim for 1000w into 4ohm and that is all you'll ever need, can score Peaveys that will do for unde £150 or fancy lightweight jobs for more, fan noise will be your biggest issue with those.

[quote name='Mandril' post='1033463' date='Nov 23 2010, 01:47 AM']....I was looking for BF Vintage users to comment about their amps....[/quote]
I ran my Thunderfunk through the 2 Compacts (which I believe will be pretty close to a Vintage) that Alex took to the last SE Bass Bash and the sound was huge. Unfortunately there aren't many TF's around!

Yesterday I tried the VT Bass with the BF Vintage using the power amp of a SVT4 (bypassing the preamp), and it sounded amazing!

I think I'm going to look for a nice power amp, and maybe trade my VT for a VT Deluxe.

What do you think about the Crown XLS 1000? I've seen it's cheap and light, looks like a good deal... Anyone tried it with the VT or the BF Vintage?

[quote name='pete.young' post='1034517' date='Nov 23 2010, 10:17 PM']Well, we gave Merton's a good work out at last year's SE Bass Bash with my Burman Pro 4000 and it sounded very loud to me, and I'm going deaf![/quote]
That was an amazing sound.

I currently run an Eden WT-550 through my Vintage, and though I suspect that ain't what you're after it offers a very versatile rig indeed and can do everyhting I need in my function band from 60's wool to modern hi-fi via 70s and 80s rock grind :)