Why become a member? ×

Best Bass Players of New Romantic Era

Bass_In_Yer_Face

[quote name='PJ Phillips' post='117564' date='Jan 10 2008, 12:33 AM']JPJ plays keys too and NB is pretty handy with a Chapman Stick.
Maybe there was a bit of instrument swapping going on (just a guess).
Nick Beggs has played with 'nearly the whole of the 80's pop mainstream'. He is a great bass player.

I actually still play (although not an original member) with an 80's pop/rock band... There are a lot of 'em still doing the Butlins circuit!

Did John Taylor actually play on the Duran Duran stuff?
Or Martin Kemp on Spandau songs?
Just a rumour then :)

Give me Pino with Go West anytime (although not New Romantic)[/quote]

Martin Kemp rumour I can believe....not JT though.

[quote name='neilb' post='117232' date='Jan 9 2008, 05:52 PM']If we are talking 80s bassists, then Derek Forbes has to be mentioned. gave Simple Minds their early distinctive sound. Better by miles than all that late 80s stadium anthem sh*te with John Giblin and Malcolm Foster.[/quote]

+1 Derek Forbes.
'Theme for Great Cities'. He plays that, like his life's depending on his bassline!

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='117623' date='Jan 10 2008, 08:43 AM']Martin Kemp rumour I can believe....not JT though.[/quote]

Guy Pratt did the Powerstation bass lines.

And don't forget hush money was paid because Roger Taylor didn't(couldn't?) play drums on the first album.

Edited by MacDaddy

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='117788' date='Jan 10 2008, 01:08 PM']Guy Pratt did the Powerstation bass lines.

And don't forget hush money was paid because Roger Taylor didn't(couldn't?) play drums on the first album.[/quote]

I thought it was Bernard Edwards?

I know Guy Pratt did play on some of the live Power Station performances.....hmmmm

Edited by Bass_In_Yer_Face

Anyone mentioned [url="http://www.tonyfranklin.com/"]Tony Franklin[/url] yet? Another great pop fretless player. Here he is rocking out with Kate Bush, and David Gilmour on Steinberger guitar.

He has a Fender signature model of his own, though I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that he is Fender's Artist Relations Manager these days!

re Power Station - I'm positive that's John Taylor on the first album. It sounds like him, and what he was doing with Duran Duran around that time e.g. "Union of the Snake". Bernard Edwards was producing, and I believe he played on the second album. This matches what Wikipedia says - Edwards took over for the 2nd album in 1997, and was going to tour with them, then [i]he[/i] died. :)

Edited by bnt

[quote name='bnt' post='117889' date='Jan 10 2008, 03:07 PM']Anyone mentioned [url="http://www.tonyfranklin.com/"]Tony Franklin[/url] yet? Another great pop fretless player. Here he is rocking out with Kate Bush, and David Gilmour on Steinberger guitar.

He has a Fender signature model of his own, though I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that he is Fender's Artist Relations Manager these days!

re Power Station - I'm positive that's John Taylor on the first album. It sounds like him, and what he was doing with Duran Duran around that time e.g. "Union of the Snake". Bernard Edwards was producing, and I believe he played on the second album. This matches what Wikipedia says - Edwards took over for the 2nd album in 1997, and was going to tour with them, then [i]he[/i] died. :)[/quote]

Without putting on an anorak, I was under the impression that JT played the majority of stuff on the first PS album and Bernard Edwards added some 'twiddly bits' etc as well, slaps etc.

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='117943' date='Jan 10 2008, 04:19 PM']Without putting on an anorak, I was under the impression that JT played the majority of stuff on the first PS album and Bernard Edwards added some 'twiddly bits' etc as well, slaps etc.[/quote]

That's what I've always been lead to believe as well. There's a video of the two of them going over the "Get it On" solo, where Edwards is suggesting what might be good for the solo. JT liked the example so much, it's what ended up going down as the solo.

About the whole "did they play/didn't they play" thing with Duran Duran, I once had a conversation with a bass player in Australia who did some of the support slots when Duran Duran first toured Australia back in 1983 or thereabouts. She told me she'd often watch them from backstage, and said that there was no doubt in her mind that JT was actually quite a decent bassist. She said that one of the guys was a bit suspect, although didn't let on who that was. Since it would be hard to hide Simon's ability or lack there of, that leaves Nick, Roger or Andy.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='117975' date='Jan 10 2008, 04:48 PM']That's what I've always been lead to believe as well. There's a video of the two of them going over the "Get it On" solo, where Edwards is suggesting what might be good for the solo. JT liked the example so much, it's what ended up going down as the solo.

About the whole "did they play/didn't they play" thing with Duran Duran, I once had a conversation with a bass player in Australia who did some of the support slots when Duran Duran first toured Australia back in 1983 or thereabouts. She told me she'd often watch them from backstage, and said that there was no doubt in her mind that JT was actually quite a decent bassist. She said that one of the guys was a bit suspect, although didn't let on who that was. Since it would be hard to hide Simon's ability or lack there of, that leaves Nick, Roger or Andy.[/quote]

I'd like to think that if they did have 'ringers' playing on their albums, it would have come to light by now like the whole Frankie / Blockheads deal.

[quote name='wayne58' post='117882' date='Jan 10 2008, 02:51 PM']Exactly, choosing the Wal bass wasn't a bad idea either.[/quote]

However the majority of the classic Japan Fretless sound is from a Travis Bean TB2000

[quote name='bassaussie' post='117975' date='Jan 10 2008, 04:48 PM']About the whole "did they play/didn't they play" thing with Duran Duran, I once had a conversation with a bass player in Australia who did some of the support slots when Duran Duran first toured Australia back in 1983 or thereabouts. She told me she'd often watch them from backstage, and said that there was no doubt in her mind that JT was actually quite a decent bassist. She said that one of the guys was a bit suspect, although didn't let on who that was. Since it would be hard to hide Simon's ability or lack there of, that leaves Nick, Roger or Andy.[/quote]

I saw Duran Duran live in a smallish venue at the time the Planet Earth single was in the charts and the bass parts were definitely being played by JT. I think Nick would have been the one with less than stellar music skills but I don't think he's ever claimed otherwise.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='118241' date='Jan 10 2008, 11:12 PM']However the majority of the classic Japan Fretless sound is from a Travis Bean TB2000[/quote]
Aaaaaah! I've been wondering for years what bass that was! He's playing it in most of the "Best of Japan" DVD

[quote name='Shaggy' post='118314' date='Jan 11 2008, 07:47 AM']Aaaaaah! I've been wondering for years what bass that was! He's playing it in most of the "Best of Japan" DVD[/quote]

Well you learn something everyday.

I love Mick Karn as he is entirely self taught (shows in his technique, not that I can play 1/10th as good as that) and openly admits he has no idea what notes he is playing....lol

I think it must be a Travis Bean he is playing in the 'Old Grey Whistle Test' footage on youtube.

Edited by Bass_In_Yer_Face

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='117992' date='Jan 10 2008, 05:05 PM']I'd like to think that if they did have 'ringers' playing on their albums, it would have come to light by now like the whole Frankie / Blockheads deal.[/quote]

thought it had? It's no secret now, that Roger didn't play drums on the first album.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='118241' date='Jan 10 2008, 11:12 PM']However the majority of the classic Japan Fretless sound is from a Travis Bean TB2000

I saw Duran Duran live in a smallish venue at the time the Planet Earth single was in the charts and the bass parts were definitely being played by JT. I think Nick would have been the one with less than stellar music skills but I don't think he's ever claimed otherwise.[/quote]

Thanks for that, but either will do ....his unique sound and feel made him stand out when I think about it.
I think the Wal was used from 1981..ish ?

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='117133' date='Jan 9 2008, 04:42 PM']If I remember correctly, he was taught by/had some lessons with a bass player called Joe Hubbard who played with Gary Numan......he was also a tremendous bassist. Saw him live at the Manchester Apollo many years ago, and thought he was actually too good to play with Gary Numan if you know what I mean. Then again, a musician's got to keep a roof over his head.....and I'd snap Gary's hand off I suppose if he asked me :)[/quote]
You should read Numans book ,slags off joe hubbard big time!
Pino also took lessons off Joe Hubbard who is now a martial arts coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

[url="http://www.p2c2e.freeserve.co.uk/sfcukx/sfcukx.html"]http://www.p2c2e.freeserve.co.uk/sfcukx/sfcukx.html[/url]

Edited by blamelouis

[quote name='blamelouis' post='118658' date='Jan 11 2008, 04:29 PM']You should read Numans book ,slags off joe hubbard big time!
Pino also took lessons off Joe Hubbard who is now a martial arts coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

[url="http://www.p2c2e.freeserve.co.uk/sfcukx/sfcukx.html"]http://www.p2c2e.freeserve.co.uk/sfcukx/sfcukx.html[/url][/quote]
Half expected to see a photo of him smashing someone over the head with a fretless sunburst Jazz. Sadly not :)

I wonder if Gary Numan would slag him off to his face now?