Why become a member? ×

Mojo'ed or dog?

Bassman Sam

Both :)
But it's all down to personal taste. You will find there's a market for genuine Fenders in just about any old beat up condition (from these pics yours doesn't look too bad - I'm only seeing them on my phone though) because it represents a players bass and this market will invariably fork out a surprising amount for the privilege of owning what it represents - rarity comes into it too.

That's all about aesthetics though, my interest here is how your pro setup has arrived at the intonation being set as it is. Have there been any issues with the neck worth mentioning?

I don't know about Fender pricing but there will be someone along soon to put a smile on your face.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='1025462' date='Nov 16 2010, 05:34 AM']However, in a couple of those photos, the strings look like they are from 1983 too - I'd change them before selling![/quote]
If they are the original strings, keep them. Put them in the packet from the new strings and include with the sale.

As you say if all original, then that's good but the condition is going to devalue a bit. The most I've seen early 80s Fender basses go for is £1095 but that was immaculate condition with original hard case and paperwork. There is no refinish or replacement parts. Early 80s aren't hitting the silly money yet so you could hold on to it for a bit and see how things are in a few years. In that condition I think you'd be looking at a top end figure of about £850 unless anyone cares to suggest otherwise. And that wouldn't be priced for a quick sale (but would sell). The interest would be there for people born in 1983 and they are at an age group where they have money to buy.

Definitely more mojo'd then dog

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1025513' date='Nov 16 2010, 08:47 AM']If they are the original strings, keep them. Put them in the packet from the new strings and include with the sale.

As you say if all original, then that's good but the condition is going to devalue a bit. The most I've seen early 80s Fender basses go for is £1095 but that was immaculate condition with original hard case and paperwork. There is no refinish or replacement parts. Early 80s aren't hitting the silly money yet so you could hold on to it for a bit and see how things are in a few years. In that condition I think you'd be looking at a top end figure of about £850 unless anyone cares to suggest otherwise. And that wouldn't be priced for a quick sale (but would sell). The interest would be there for people born in 1983 and they are at an age group where they have money to buy.

Definitely more mojo'd then dog[/quote]

+1

It's not quite all original, so I'd say you're looking at £800 max. Fullerton RIs are great basses though.

C

The strings are not original and the neck is good and straight and plays well. No problems with the intonation and all the electrics are in good nick. The pick guard looks like it's been painted white at some point but it is metal underneath.I was wondering if a refinish would be worth it?

What's wrong with tidying it up before you sell it? Strip it down & give it a good clean - the rust will come off the saddles. The pics aren't very clear but by the state of the bridge & strings I doubt it's exactly clean.

I've bought dozens of used instruments & never fail to be amazed (and revolted) by the squalid condition people seem to be happy to let their instruments get into. I'm a lot more likely to consider handing over money for something that looks clean & well looked-after (regardless of wear & tear from use) than for something neglected-looking & crusted with decades-worth of gunk & secretions.

Jon.

[quote name='TheRinser' post='1026782' date='Nov 17 2010, 12:18 PM']But the dirt keeps the funk in![/quote]
If funk equates to getting other peoples' sweat, snot, piss & excrement on your hands, then yes - it probably does.

But then I'm a prog rocker & therefore know little of this "funk" of which you speak. :) :)

J.