Why become a member? ×

. from log to axe. build diary of ziricote 4string for pete

lettsguitars

ok then. pete asked me to build him a custom 4 string after seeing my work on ebay. after a quick chat on the phone, we decided on a 34" scale ziricote and mahogany deal, . heres the first series of pics. while waiting for petes timber to arrive, i forged ahead and made a 'prototype' out of meranti and some cocobolo i had in stock. pete sent me some pics of basses he loved and i jiggled my designs around his ideas. the pics he sent were of ken smith and wal basses. heres what we ended up with. follow as we turns logs into axe.

pics of template, logs, roughed out body and kingwood fingerboard.

pete stated that he was into the lighter centre block. Also body will be getting some cocobolo 'cat's eyes'.

also, pics of the finished 'prototype' which is currently for sale on ebay. the nut must have been knocked off centre during the shoot which makes the strings look badly aligned. my nuts (ooh er missus) are not glued in, but sit in a very snug slot and do not move around easily. just unfortunate that i didn't notice at the time. to reiterate, strings are perfectly aligned with the sides of the neck in reality.
meranti cor, coco top, zebrano stripes, afrormosia and swamp ash back, purpleheart and walnut cat's eyes, meranti neck and purpleheart fingerboard. kent armstrong neck pickup, one vol one tone and possibly a coil switch in the future.
some pics removed coz of space restrictions

Edited by lettsguitars

reet. cat's eyes on and body routed. fingerboard on, headstock glued and ready for some ears. had to slightly adjust the bass horn shape due to some cocobolo tearout but it's all good. today should see the the neck pocket and control cavity routed, cavity cover made from matching afrormosia, ears on headstock and possibly body carved. we'll see.

Edited by lettsguitars

glad you like it. got quite a bit done today. body carved and a coat of oil. access cover made, not the afro cover i intended, as the last piece had a long split, so i went with swamp ash, and it looks pretty funky. headstock cap glued on. headstock and neck should get shaped and carved tomorrow. been takin shots of my progress but then realised my slr had no card in it, so i've lost a few shots, mainly ears being glued on, nevermind. heres what we got. . . .

Edited by lettsguitars

new pics. neck carved, holes drilled, and all that malarky. she'll get a nut and some frets in the next couple of days. then we're just waitin for the scatterwound soapbar from ben. should be ready next week. not sure whether to vacuum form the pickup covers, or go with wooden uns. what d'ya reckon pete?

Edited by lettsguitars

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1023273' date='Nov 14 2010, 12:37 PM']some pics removed coz of space restrictions[/quote]

I suggest shrinking your images before you upload them. If they are 1024 pixels on their longest side, there will still be plenty of detail for viewing on the screen, but you'll save a whole heap of megabytes. They'll be quicker to upload too.

S.P.

[quote name='henry norton' post='1034776' date='Nov 24 2010, 09:41 AM']Respect to all the Fender cloners out there but it's nice to see someone applying some original thought to their basses. Like the little (cocobolo?) chunks on the ends of the wings - is it just for show or is there a purpose to them?[/quote]
cheers. you are right my friend, 'tis cocobolo, and yes, just for show. however it does leave those edges less prone to dings.

got some strings on for a test drive. signature burned into headstock. starting to look like a bass. plays beautifully. no buzzing, great resonance and really cool tone. it'll be stripped down before we fit the pickup and controls. Ben is working out a cool circuit for pete who likes to experiment a lot. coil tap at 3000 turns, blend pot, a couple of switches and tone controls. it'll be fun to play with. still no dots, i'll get them in and when its stripped down for pickup and clean up. will also get a ziricote truss access cover. i may ebony for a bone and cocobolo nut, not sure whether i like using animal bits or not. any veggie players with opinions on that?

Edited by lettsguitars

we are literally waiting for the pickup now, i'm hoping we'll have it tonight.
got the new bone and cocobolo nut on, which is quite special! had about 6 coats of oil and i'm deciding whether or not to finish with wax.
pics t'morrow, possibly finished, we'll see.
it'll need to go to ben for wiring up after pup goes in. so wont be totally ready to ship for a few days yet. easy now. jon

[quote name='sprocketflup' post='1042047' date='Nov 30 2010, 10:16 AM']Gotta be honest, when this thread first appeared I looked at the raw woods and thought Im not going to like this bass, but Im eating my words (thoughts) now coz this has turned out to be absolutely beautiful.

Its lucky that not everyone is as short sighted as me eh? lol

Much kudos to you both[/quote]
thanks. always a bit of a gamble when choosing woods. but when you're working with timber of such a high standard, the results are usually pleasing. the high contrast of the ash and ziricote turned out nice. plus, the tone and resonance is really something else.