Why become a member? ×

New Bass.

DreadAlert

Hey guys.

Been playing bass for a while now, would like to add another bass to my collection. :)
I have a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz at the moment.

I'd like to know what you guys think on whether to get a 4-string or a 5.
Pricing isn't really that big an issue as long as its not too high. Like.. Maybe £600 or somewhere around that mark. Maybe higher maybe lower.. Not really sure for now.

The sort of music I play mostly is the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against the Machine sort of thing.

I'm going to go to PMT when I can to try out some basses, but I'd like to hear your suggestions too. :)

Thanks guys.
-DreadAlert-

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1014099' date='Nov 6 2010, 11:18 AM']Chili's and Rage you say?
There's a couple of MM4 Stingrays in the FS section that should sort you right out. :)[/quote]

and two beautiful MM SUB4 on eBay right now! And a Sterling SUB too.

[quote name='DreadAlert' post='1014079' date='Nov 6 2010, 10:57 AM']Been playing bass for a while now, would like to add another bass to my collection. :)
I have a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz at the moment.[/quote]
Assuming that's you in your avatar... are you a lefty, or is it just a reversed webcam image?

Lefty = spanner in the works. :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1014608' date='Nov 6 2010, 06:34 PM']Everytime I see your gear list Danny-79 I think what a guy! :) Closely followed by buttercreme Stingray gas! You just need a pre EB Ray through your Genz rig and you will be sorted :)[/quote]

Thanks man !
Find an amp sound you like an stick to it, first heard a GB amp about 6yrs ago in a shop, the guy was using it to demo a cheep bass to another customer (nice tactic) he sold the bass in question an later the amp to me !! Find a sound you like an stick to it.
Got a Bongo 5HH on loan to me at the moment its killer sounding!! but a pre EB Ray is high on most EB players gas list, including mine (i see you have one) :lol:
Peace!

Edited by danny-79

[quote name='danny-79' post='1014467' date='Nov 6 2010, 04:51 PM']Simple. End off :) :)[/quote]

Wouldn't say it's that simple!

I love Chilis and RATM but really don't get on with Rays, i found them cumbersome and there's nowhere sensible to mount my thumb! I eventually found a bass that did the Flea and TimC sounds in a Warwick Corvette. To this day i've never played a bass that is as good for that agressive funk-rock sound.

The OP may get the sound he's looking for from many different basses, Rays being one of them. They should definitely be on the shortlist, as should Warwicks, G&L, Ibanez, Fender etc.

Basically go into a few shops and try loads of basses out, find out what suits you. I played a Cort the other day that sounded great and would definitely do the sounds you're after

Where does a warwick have extra to rest your thumb? Edge of the pickup for me on the Rays the Jazz and the P bass plus all of those have a pickguard that can also be used for an anchor in various places where to my knowledge the warwicks do not? Finding something that appeals to you is key but if you like chilis and RATM there is a direction worth exploring first at least and trying against others in a shop. Some smaller people dont like Rays and find them a bit big which is odd because its the same as a P and smaller than a Jazz? On the other hand some larger people dont like warwicks and smaller bodied stuff like Ibanez because they look small on them like Alice in wonderland or something. :)

I do like some of the G&L stuff so +1 to trying that avenue.

£600 should only be a little bit under, In fact there was cracking black and rosewood Ray with nothing more than a bent tuning peg and a few minor scratches a few months ago that was a lot less than that on the bay.

Secondhand will definitley stretch your money to the higher end gear thats for sure whatever you end up buying. I hate Rics but that could be your thing who knows? Spend a day at a big store and just buy some strings/plecs then get home and search the FS section and the Bay! :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1014802' date='Nov 6 2010, 10:02 PM']Where does a warwick have extra to rest your thumb? Edge of the pickup for me on the Rays the Jazz and the P bass plus all of those have a pickguard that can also be used for an anchor in various places where to my knowledge the warwicks do not? Finding something that appeals to you is key but if you like chilis and RATM there is a direction worth exploring first at least and trying against others in a shop. Some smaller people dont like Rays and find them a bit big which is odd because its the same as a P and smaller than a Jazz? On the other hand some larger people dont like warwicks and smaller bodied stuff like Ibanez because they look small on them like Alice in wonderland or something. :)

I do like some of the G&L stuff so +1 to trying that avenue.[/quote]

On the neck pup! For me that's the most comfortable and versatile place - it's where my thumb mainly stays, as the OP has a Jazz he'll probably have the same issues if he plays fingerstyle.

I don't find MM basses a struggle, just that they're not as comfortable as other basses i own. The arwick fits much more snugly around my beer gut!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1014822' date='Nov 6 2010, 10:41 PM']On the neck pup! For me that's the most comfortable and versatile place - it's where my thumb mainly stays, as the OP has a Jazz he'll probably have the same issues if he plays fingerstyle.

I don't find MM basses a struggle, just that they're not as comfortable as other basses i own. The arwick fits much more snugly around my beer gut![/quote]

If he is playing Chillis and RATM he wont be able to keep to one position :) All the more excuse to buy loads of basses over the years and become just like us lot! :)

One of my main reason for buying a ray was the comfort of playing.

I couldn't find any position on my jaguar bass that felt comfortable. Playing just a tad higher than the bridge pickup for the sound I want there was no wear substantial to anchor my thumb.

The pickup position on Rays, for me, give a perfect anchor and a great position for picking up the sound. "Sweetspot"

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1014822' date='Nov 6 2010, 10:41 PM']On the neck pup! For me that's the most comfortable and versatile place - it's where my thumb mainly stays, as the OP has a Jazz he'll probably have the same issues if he plays fingerstyle.

I don't find MM basses a struggle, just that they're not as comfortable as other basses i own. The arwick fits much more snugly around my beer gut![/quote]

I got curious after reading this thread, because I really don't know what I do! I know I rest my thum on the Stingray's pickup sometimes, but not always.
I realised that generally I rest my thumb on the E string, except when I use it. Then I just move my hand upwards and just rest it on the body until the E string note(s) are done and I go back to the initial position. It sounds more complicate than it is! And I tend to use a position just right above the top of teh Stingray pickup. On any bass. The position does vary, depending on what I play, and I had noticed that I rest my thum on the Stingray's pickup, but only sometimes.

Different people, different techniques. I'm glad a proper thumb rest is not useful to me, I don't like how they look. :)

Had a SUB4 in for a setup a couple of weeks ago.

I was really impressed with the quality of it (which made my life a lot easier) and it sounded great too. The owner wanted it setup for CGCF and it took that without any trouble at all.

Never been much of a Stingray fan as I prefer other basses at that price point but the SUB is hard to ignore.