Why become a member? ×

Any Spinal Tap fans here ?

Lorne

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1013689' date='Nov 5 2010, 07:50 PM']I hate this, some great history going on with this thread for a very interesting and symbolic bass, then it's gonna get hidden away in someone's personal collection where only a few people can enjoy it.

It's his money and his bass, so his choice, but it's a crying shame.[/quote]

Actually, he paid rather a lot of money for the bass, sure no way near as much as if it had been correctly identified as the Spinal Tap bass, BUT

You don't know the guy, You have no idea of his thoughts

He said to me he was thinking of lending the bass to the R & R hall of Fame, But I advised him against it, why should he, what would they say if he walked up to them and wanted to Borrow something?

Why do people think that because something was used in a film/ band/ history or whatever, that it automatically belongs to the "People", It doesn't

If it means that much to you, perhaps you can offer him a lot of cash, and donate the bass to the R & R hall of fame yourself ?

[quote name='Lorne' post='1013888' date='Nov 6 2010, 12:13 AM']Actually, he paid rather a lot of money for the bass, sure no way near as much as if it had been correctly identified as the Spinal Tap bass, BUT

You don't know the guy, You have no idea of his thoughts

He said to me he was thinking of lending the bass to the R & R hall of Fame, But I advised him against it, why should he, what would they say if he walked up to them and wanted to Borrow something?

Why do people think that because something was used in a film/ band/ history or whatever, that it automatically belongs to the "People", It doesn't

If it means that much to you, perhaps you can offer him a lot of cash, and donate the bass to the R & R hall of fame yourself ?[/quote]

In my opinion instruments are little more than tools. The situations they've been in can inspire people, but in the situation where someone has an inspirational instrument then removes it from the public eye, it's simply a tool again. I don't understand the whole instruments as art (like PRS dragons) or any of that mumbo jumbo.

I went to the London International Music Show a year or two ago, they had the guitar that Tufnel used at the Live Earth gig, just seeing it and knowing it was used by Spinal Tap made me grin. I just feel it's a shame that that's never going to happen again with that bass.

You'd do well to read posts properly before starting to flare up at people. I specifically said that it's his money and bass and he can do with it what he wants, I just pointed out that it's a shame, which I think is clear that it's only my opinion. If you'd rather everyone spams "IMO" or "IME" in every post so that you don't take everything as fact and give agressive answers, maybe you should think about how you view forums and the internet in general.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1013993' date='Nov 6 2010, 09:06 AM']You'd do well to read posts properly before starting to flare up at people. I specifically said that it's his money and bass and he can do with it what he wants, I just pointed out that it's a shame, which I think is clear that it's only my opinion. If you'd rather everyone spams "IMO" or "IME" in every post so that you don't take everything as fact and give agressive answers, maybe you should think about how you view forums and the internet in general.[/quote]

Really?????? You can read emotions in TYPED words, well done, but WRONG, I was NOT aggressive in ANY way

You did say "It was his money and his bass", BUT , as said before, YOU don't know the guy, he was thinking about lending it to the R&R hall of Fame, but why the hell should he? , they won't lend him or you or me anything

Same thing with the Hard Rock Cafe, they get GIVEN a lot of their guitars and basses, do you tink they hang them on the wall, just so you can go and gawk at them? , No way, they are simply a tool to get people through the door and spending money, they couldn't really care about the instruments themselves

BTW, "Hate" as in "I hate this" is an agressive reaction, don't you think?

As I said before, he bought the bass with NO knowledge of it's history, other than it being in the catalogues, he has had it a few years, only now, have I found out about it's true history

You should grow a thick skin to use the internet, perhaps YOU should think about how you view the internet

BTW, the offer still stands, let me know your best offer for the bass, and I'll let the owner and Hard Rock Cafe or R&R hall of Fame know

Saying I hate something isn't agressive, it's a statement. I hate abuse, I hate disease, I hate the fact people take items that can be inspirational and hide them away. All just factual statements. Unfortunately (in my eyes) all 3 exist and will likely continue to exist until long after I'm gone.

Suggesting that I buy the bass if I have a problem isn't really reasonable (I'm sure it's fairly obvious why that for the price it's worth, suddenly asking someone to make an offer when they've shown no signs of interest in buying it isn't reasonable), which is why I saw your response as agressive and assuming that I've said it belongs to the people (as your post showed you assumed I said) was way off the mark as I'd specifically said that it belonged to him and what he did with it was his choice, which is why I assumed you hadn't really read my post. You repeating the "offer" at the end of the last post doesn't make me see your posts any less agressively.

What you're basically asking about the R&R HoF is "Why should he do something that could benefit a lot of people by putting a popular item on public display when the people who run the HoF wouldn't deprive a lot of people of veiwing an item by letting a private collector take it home?" That's not a logical statement or question at all. The point of museums and exhibits is that as many people as possible get to see them. Yes, there are places like Hard Rock Cafe that put up items for their own profits (and indeed, privately owned museums, galleries etc for profit, I don't know whether the R&R HoF is privately owned or not, though it wouldn't change my views) but they're still publically displayed and the people that could benefit from them do have access to them (even if it's at a price).

I wasn't offended by your post, just didn't see why my post warraned such an agressive reply. I'm not going to go any further into this, it's obviously not going to result in a productive conversation so I'm going to leave it be.

Wow this happy discussion seems to be taking on a whole new guise. It's kind of like an aggressive FS thread now. :)
And seeing as the OP has hinted at being a trader or a bass finder general, one can't help looking back and thinking that it started out with that intention.

If this bass actually is for sale maybe it should be posted as such in the appropriate section.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1014259' date='Nov 6 2010, 01:43 PM']Wow this happy discussion seems to be taking on a whole new guise. It's kind of like an aggressive FS thread now. :)
And seeing as the OP has hinted at being a trader or a bass finder general, one can't help looking back and thinking that it started out with that intention.

If this bass actually is for sale maybe it should be posted as such in the appropriate section.[/quote]

Wrong mate, I am NOT a bass trader, I do find rare BC Riches for my friends from time to time, but the last bass I sold for money was to Shockwave about 2 years ago, And I think he would agree, I sold it to him for a very reasonable price

Also, the Spinal Tap bass is NOT for sale, otherwise it woluld be online for sale somewhere, the other Doubleneck Bich bass is for sale by Chicago Music Exchange, still for $20,000, but I have absolutely NOTHING to do with them or it.

To clarify, this thread was started in the hope of sharing information and pictures, of what is a pretty famous bass, that has been missing for many years

[quote name='Lorne' post='1014284' date='Nov 6 2010, 02:03 PM']Wrong mate, I am NOT a bass trader, I do find rare BC Riches for my friends from time to time, but the last bass I sold for money was to Shockwave about 2 years ago, And I think he would agree, I sold it to him for a very reasonable price

Also, the Spinal Tap bass is NOT for sale, otherwise it woluld be online for sale somewhere, the other Doubleneck Bich bass is for sale by Chicago Music Exchange, still for $20,000, but I have absolutely NOTHING to do with them or it.

To clarify, this thread was started in the hope of sharing information and pictures, of what is a pretty famous bass, that has been missing for many years[/quote]
Cool. It's good to clarify.
Although if it's not for sale maybe you shouldn't be soliciting for offers on it. :)

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1014171' date='Nov 6 2010, 12:34 PM']Saying I hate something isn't agressive, it's a statement. I hate abuse, I hate disease, I hate the fact people take items that can be inspirational and hide them away. All just factual statements. Unfortunately (in my eyes) all 3 exist and will likely continue to exist until long after I'm gone.

Suggesting that I buy the bass if I have a problem isn't really reasonable (I'm sure it's fairly obvious why that for the price it's worth, suddenly asking someone to make an offer when they've shown no signs of interest in buying it isn't reasonable), which is why I saw your response as agressive and assuming that I've said it belongs to the people (as your post showed you assumed I said) was way off the mark as I'd specifically said that it belonged to him and what he did with it was his choice, which is why I assumed you hadn't really read my post. You repeating the "offer" at the end of the last post doesn't make me see your posts any less agressively.

What you're basically asking about the R&R HoF is "Why should he do something that could benefit a lot of people by putting a popular item on public display when the people who run the HoF wouldn't deprive a lot of people of veiwing an item by letting a private collector take it home?" That's not a logical statement or question at all. The point of museums and exhibits is that as many people as possible get to see them. Yes, there are places like Hard Rock Cafe that put up items for their own profits (and indeed, privately owned museums, galleries etc for profit, I don't know whether the R&R HoF is privately owned or not, though it wouldn't change my views) but they're still publically displayed and the people that could benefit from them do have access to them (even if it's at a price).

I wasn't offended by your post, just didn't see why my post warraned such an agressive reply. I'm not going to go any further into this, it's obviously not going to result in a productive conversation so I'm going to leave it be.[/quote]

Again, you're reading emotions into TYPED words, I am NOT being aggressive towards you

To people who come out with statements, similar too "I hate this, this piece of history should be on public view, so everyone can see it" I simply say, fine, if you feel that way,you buy it and give it away,basically, "Put up or shut up"

Another reason why the owner allowed me to post the pictures of the true Spinal Tap bass is to allow others to see that the Bich from CME is NOT the real one, and to hope that someone would not be fooled into parting with $20,000 for it.He could have simply said "Sod 'em, if they don't do their research, then tough on them", but he didn't

I asked him for permission to share the pictures, which he readily agreed too.Now, surely, I have offered up loads of pictures for people's (Hopeful) enjoyment, and they can enjoy them no matter where they are on the planet, without having to travel around the country/world, paying an entrance fee.These pictures are posted on 3 different forums right now.Many collectors would not even let you know they had it!

A friend of mine, who knows the people at CME, told me, they had the Spinal Tap bass, so I emailed them asking for pictures, and they refused, 6 years ago

A friend of mine in the USA owns the Ironbird bass from the Megadeth video to Wake Up Dead, he also has about 99 other BCR's, he would allow pictures, another friend owns the Steve Vai double neck Bich guitar, he would allow pictures, however another guy, who preports to have hundreds of vintage B.C.Riches, won't even tell you how many, what models, and certainly wouldn't share a SINLGE picture of them, makes you wonder if he actually has them.

I own the Mockingbird bass from the "Do what you want to" Thin Lizzy Video, I have shown loads of pictures of it to anyone that asks, and some have even played it.

So, think, it could be a LOT worse, at least the bass is NOT lost, and we are able to share the pictures of the bass,without having to pay for the ability to do so

Again said without aggression, it is an exchange of ideas, there has been no swearing or school playground name calling from either of us, so I don't get the aggression thing

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1014292' date='Nov 6 2010, 02:15 PM']Cool. It's good to clarify.
Although if it's not for sale maybe you shouldn't be soliciting for offers on it. :)[/quote]

See the very beginning of my above post mate, I wasn't truely soliciting offers on it, I was merely trying to make a point.

If the bass had been for sale, nobody would have known about it, it would have simply disappeared into someone's vault somewhere, as with most makes of instrument, there is a secretive "Collector's club" out there :)

*edited for atrocious spelling of the wod merely, I spelt it mearly D'oh*

Edited by Lorne

[quote name='Lorne' post='1014301' date='Nov 6 2010, 02:25 PM']See the very beginning of my above post mate, I wasn't truely soliciting offers on it, I was merely trying to make a point.

[b]If the bass had been for sale, nobody would have known about it, it would have simply disappeared into someone's vault somewhere, as with most makes of instrument, there is a secretive "Collector's club" out there. :) [/b][/quote]
We're not worthy. Were not worthy.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1014474' date='Nov 6 2010, 04:58 PM']By 'secretive', do we mean Razz?

He does, indeed, have a guitar vault. Like some James Bond villian no doubt, replete with ninjas.[/quote]

Secretive? the one who wouldn't tell you what he had, or show pictures, yet swore blind he had several of everything made?

TRR mate, if you can remember him :)

[quote name='dood' post='1014505' date='Nov 6 2010, 05:19 PM']On a happy Spinal Tap note, I once had a lovely e-chat with Harry Shearer. He comes across as a really warm and affable chap. I'd love to meet him in person.[/quote]
All three of them come across as really nice guys, I am sure they are. They are legends

I'm just glad the bass has been identified and we know about it. Personally I'd love for it to be restored to its former glory. And yes seeing it gigged would be awesome but that's up to the owner.

If its going to displayed in the owners collection as it were I suggest getting a miniature stonehenge to display it with :)

[quote name='charic' post='1014795' date='Nov 6 2010, 09:48 PM']I'm just glad the bass has been identified and we know about it. Personally I'd love for it to be restored to its former glory. And yes seeing it gigged would be awesome but that's up to the owner.

If its going to displayed in the owners collection as it were I suggest getting a miniature stonehenge to display it with :)[/quote]

Ha ha ha, That is VERY funny, I'm gonna suggest it to him :)

[quote name='charic' post='1014795' date='Nov 6 2010, 09:48 PM']I'm just glad the bass has been identified and we know about it. Personally I'd love for it to be restored to its former glory. And yes seeing it gigged would be awesome but that's up to the owner.

If its going to displayed in the owners collection as it were I suggest getting a miniature stonehenge to display it with :)[/quote]

Here is the owner's reply

"Thanks – that’s the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Do you think a re-fin would devalue the instrument? Not saying I’m going to do it, just curious…

Mini-Stonehenge – HELL yeah! I’ll dress Wilson as a leprechaun too… :lol: "

Wilson is his very expensive pitbull, had nearly $5000 worth of work to it's back legs due to snapped ligaments,. He loves his animals :)

[quote name='Lorne' post='1015419' date='Nov 7 2010, 04:52 PM']Here is the owner's reply

"Thanks – that’s the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Do you think a re-fin would devalue the instrument? Not saying I’m going to do it, just curious…

Mini-Stonehenge – HELL yeah! I’ll dress Wilson as a leprechaun too… :) "

Wilson is his very expensive pitbull, had nearly $5000 worth of work to it's back legs due to snapped ligaments,. He loves his animals :)[/quote]

Brilliant, I would've thought it would add to the value if anything :lol: a pitbull as a leprechaun? Now that is scary!