Why become a member? ×

Any ACG owners in the Surrey/W.Sussex area?

ikay

I'm looking at buying an ACG (one listed on the ACG website) but would like to try one out first to get an idea of the 33" scale, flat fingerboard and filter preamp. Does anyone know of any ACG owners in the Surrey/W.Sussex neck of the woods?

If anyone has an ACG to sell better still (fat chance I know)!

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1012623' date='Nov 4 2010, 09:45 PM']Ooooh, which one is it? I can't remember there being any recent stock builds with 33" scale.

(FWIW, I'd say just go for it, but then again I've got two 33"-scale flat-boarded ACGs with filter preamps. :) )[/quote]

It's 0067 (http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Gallery/237/), this one's actually a 34" although I'd be interested to know how well a low B works with 33". Alan mentioned that you had the same/similar spec. I'd very much appreciate any views you can offer on the RFS and piezo setup and this configuration in general.

[quote name='charic' post='1012630' date='Nov 4 2010, 09:52 PM']If you find yourself in my neck of the woods give me a shout :) may also bring to these bassbash if I can go![/quote]

Thanks charic and if you do decide to take yours to the SE bash let me know. Cheers

[quote name='ikay' post='1012641' date='Nov 4 2010, 10:01 PM']It's 0067 (http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Gallery/237/), this one's actually a 34" although I'd be interested to know how well a low B works with 33". Alan mentioned that you had the same/similar spec. I'd very much appreciate any views you can offer on the RFS and piezo setup and this configuration in general.[/quote]
Oh lord, that one's just lovely. If I didn't have one that was virtually identical... :)

On both of my 33" ACGs, the low B works perfectly. Alan's worked some sort of voodoo magic into the necks (I think it's actually just that they're [i]incredibly[/i] stiff) that means it feels pretty similar to a 34" B-string. I've got TI flats on both of mine, which are pretty low-tension, high-flexibility strings, and they don't feel at all flabby. And the sound of the B-string is well integrated into the rest; it's not like some 5ers where you hit the B and it sounds completely different. It's part of the instrument. (If you're really interested in the 33" thing, try dropping Eude a PM and see if he's going to the SE bash now he's a Londoner. He's got 33"-scale basses, ACG and Shuker, although they're both fretted and I think neither has the piezo.)

The RFS is a monster pickup, with the meaty humbucker sound (reminiscent of a StingRay) and funky single-coil in one unit. The only downside is that there's a volume drop when you switch to triple-coil mode (unless Alan's worked out a solution to that problem). It's another great sound (kind of like the humbucker but with extra bite) when you whack up the volume on your amp to compensate, but it's a fair bit quieter than the others. Just a minor quibble.

The piezo, though... that's where the joy is. Suits fretless really, [i]really[/i] well, and it ties in with the filter preamp to bring out the mwaah really nicely. The filter's a very "musical" system, and although it's not intuitive when you've been used to 3-band (or whatever) for years, it doesn't take long to get your head round it and there are loads of great sounds in there.

Hope that helps in some way.

Thanks BottomEndian that's all very helpful. I'm (pleasantly) surprised that TI's work with the shorter scale. A bit curious about the triple coil - and so much else! Do you have any recordings or sound clips of yours that you can point me to?

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1012721' date='Nov 4 2010, 11:05 PM']Oh lord, that one's just lovely. If I didn't have one that was virtually identical... :)

On both of my 33" ACGs, the low B works perfectly. Alan's worked some sort of voodoo magic into the necks (I think it's actually just that they're [i]incredibly[/i] stiff) that means it feels pretty similar to a 34" B-string. I've got TI flats on both of mine, which are pretty low-tension, high-flexibility strings, and they don't feel at all flabby. And the sound of the B-string is well integrated into the rest; it's not like some 5ers where you hit the B and it sounds completely different. It's part of the instrument. (If you're really interested in the 33" thing, try dropping Eude a PM and see if he's going to the SE bash now he's a Londoner. He's got 33"-scale basses, ACG and Shuker, although they're both fretted and I think neither has the piezo.)

The RFS is a monster pickup, with the meaty humbucker sound (reminiscent of a StingRay) and funky single-coil in one unit. The only downside is that there's a volume drop when you switch to triple-coil mode (unless Alan's worked out a solution to that problem). It's another great sound (kind of like the humbucker but with extra bite) when you whack up the volume on your amp to compensate, but it's a fair bit quieter than the others. Just a minor quibble.

The piezo, though... that's where the joy is. Suits fretless really, [i]really[/i] well, and it ties in with the filter preamp to bring out the mwaah really nicely. The filter's a very "musical" system, and although it's not intuitive when you've been used to 3-band (or whatever) for years, it doesn't take long to get your head round it and there are loads of great sounds in there.

Hope that helps in some way.[/quote]

I'm currently in discussion with Alan now about ordering a 4 string fretless ACG since I've been so impressed with my Harlot singlecut. However, I'm not sure if I want another Harlot SC or a headless Finn shape. Whatever I choose though, and when I choose it, I know I'll be making the right choice. It is no small thing for me to say but I think Alan is making the best basses in the country right now.

[quote name='ikay' post='1012923' date='Nov 5 2010, 08:14 AM']Thanks BottomEndian that's all very helpful. I'm (pleasantly) surprised that TI's work with the shorter scale. A bit curious about the triple coil - and so much else! Do you have any recordings or sound clips of yours that you can point me to?[/quote]
Not any pleasant recordings yet, I'm afraid. Just some tone test comparisons between the Skelf and the Recurve, and only with the piezo. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=61632&view=findpost&p=973819"]Take a look here[/url]. Contrary to what I've said above, the B on the Recurve sounds pretty flabby and rattly, but those clips were done before I tweaked the setup to suit my heavy-handed style.

There's also a piezo-only fretless ACG clip on Youtube, which sounds very familiar to me, tonewise:

Some day soon, I'll sort out some clips with a pleasant sound and the magnetic pickup. Some day. :)

Well, I have custom ACG Finn, which is 33' scale, filter pre, and fingerboard radius is about 16", which kinda makes it flat.. (I really doubt it that you would feel that 16"curvature..)

So, if you happen to come to Lithuania by some time, you're welcome to try mine.. :)

Seriously though, the nearest date I'm going to be in UK, is on Feb (probably), in ACG bass bash..

But then again, I think I won't be there alone with 33" scale bass..

Anyway, when my bass came, it was strung B-G (five string), and before switching to E-C (I like this tuning way more), I gave a quick play to see how that B sounds.. Man, I have to say, I can't remember hearing a 34" scale bass sounding as good as that ACG sounded with low B..

I think it's a bit of myth of that scale thing, and there are other folks who could probably prove that (Eude?:) )
and there's also much more comfort playing 33" thing than a regular one or, even worse, 35" thing.

I played my tutor's five string Yamaha, which was 35" scale, and damnit, I hated it - my hands started aching after 10min of easy play..

bugger..

Hi all,

Apologies don't mean to highjack this thread but as you are discussing ACG Basses how the hell do you play something like this... frets look concave. :)

[url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Gallery/228/"]http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Gallery/228/[/url]

Edited by JustaBass

It just plays the same as any other bass you just have more strings to choose from. It is not that difficult to play physically, getting lost on the fret board is a bit of an issue but I am told practise sorts that out. It also helps if you have moved up in the string count gradually. The owner of the bass you linked to was all ready playing a 7 string to the move would not be that difficult. If you only played four strings then the jump would be a struggle. There have been several threads on why would anyone want an ERB all you need is four strings. I don't think they are that helpful and if you want to play a 8/9/10 string bass at the end of the day that is your choice and if all you want is 4 that is equally your choice.

[quote name='skelf' post='1013277' date='Nov 5 2010, 01:28 PM']There have been several threads on why would anyone want an ERB all you need is four strings. I don't think they are that helpful and if you want to play a 8/9/10 string bass at the end of the day that is your choice and if all you want is 4 that is equally your choice.[/quote]

+1 on that, i am just amazed at how you find your way around a 10 string, i have trouble with 4 and tiny little hands. :)

[quote name='skelf' post='1013277' date='Nov 5 2010, 01:28 PM']I don't think they are that helpful and if you want to play a 8/9/10 string bass at the end of the day that is your choice and if all you want is 4 that is equally your choice.[/quote]

Oh come now, Alan. All that hot air, existential fluff and arm waving is tremendous fun.

[quote name='Faithless' post='1013124' date='Nov 5 2010, 11:42 AM']I think it's a bit of myth of that scale thing, and there are other folks who could probably prove that (Eude?:) )
and there's also much more comfort playing 33" thing than a regular one or, even worse, 35" thing.[/quote]

I'm liking the sound of 33" scale and maybe chambered and single cut ... looks like I need several ACGs!

Thanks for all of your input everyone

[quote name='skelf' post='1013608' date='Nov 5 2010, 06:43 PM']That is a fair point Kev, I am sorry to have deprived others of their fun. If you would like to say something inflammatory we can get the ball rolling.[/quote]

Alas, I'm fixing the kids their junk food at the moment. I'm already wearing my slippers and I'm planning an evening watching single-celled prokaryotes pumping out oxygen on the new Earth courtesy of the BBC.

Right, OK. Finally sat down and made a bit of a tone demo with the Recurve:

Some shoddy playing in there, but you get the general gist. 5 different pickup settings, and if you [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG3C81HWdRU"]click through to the video on YouTube[/url], you can read some info about the recording and preamp settings.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1013889' date='Nov 6 2010, 12:14 AM']Right, OK. Finally sat down and made a bit of a tone demo with the Recurve:

Some shoddy playing in there, but you get the general gist. 5 different pickup settings, and if you [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG3C81HWdRU"]click through to the video on YouTube[/url], you can read some info about the recording and preamp settings.[/quote]

Lovely growly sound! The difference in tone between the settings isn't as pronounced as I'd expected, maybe that's because the filters were both wide open. Also the triple coil didn't seem noticeably quieter to me, did you even out the levels when you stitched it together?