Why become a member? ×

Musicman Questions

JPJ

I've recently picked up an early nineties MM Stingray five string and have the following questions which I thought you guys might know the answer to:

1) how long does a battery last?
2) what's the best string to pickup height (to close and it sounds choked, to far and it sounds weak)?
3) is it just me or is the tone very dependent on whether you pluck over the pickup or in front/behind?
4) the output signal is not as hot as my East equipped Jazz'es, what do people think of the East MM 3-band circuit?

I'm loving playing the bass which sits lovely on the strap and the neck is to die for. Fits really well in both my bands, but I do find it a little harder to play than my East equipped Overwater J as it's just not as sensitive to the touch.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated :)

1) depends on how much you use it
2) adjust to taste
3) most basses are effected tone wise as to where you play in relation to the pick up
4) not got any experience with it.

you might get more answers if you post this in the bass guitar section. Also remember not to play with the knobs on full unless you like a scooped sound

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1006371' date='Oct 30 2010, 03:35 PM']When did this happen Kev? :) :)

Will speak later bout respective gigs. :lol:[/quote]

Recent acquisition mate, just fancied something that could become a road dog :)

Heard good reports of your gig last night, long overdue that coffee mate!

[quote name='umph' post='1006352' date='Oct 30 2010, 03:15 PM']you might get more answers if you post this in the bass guitar section.[/quote]

Oops, perhaps one of the mods would be kind enough to move this?

1. Forever I'd say. I guess that my first 'Ray had a new battery when I got it about five years ago. I've played it a lot in the first two years and it still runs on the same battery. Haven't played it much in the last three years though, but a few months ago it still worked.

2. Absolutely. I prefer plucking a tad behind the pickup.

(Language question: do you use "a tad" in this context? I'm not a native speaker ..)

For what its worth here's my experience:

1. - MM said (about the original pre-eb basses anyway) the pre-amp battery draw is so low the battery lasts as long as its shelf life. The very early ones were always 'on', they pretty quickly used the jack as the switch, so unplug when not in use. Mine as been busy and has lasted a year, so far.
2. Yep, you'll need to play with the string pickup heights. MM are not brilliantly balanced and the G end needs to be as close to the string as poss. Yes, they do go all phasey if too close, then run the other end of the pickup further away to get a good balance. The screws go into proper inserts in the body and use proper springs (unlike Fenders) and so are easily adjusted, even by fingers if you press the pickup in.
3. Pluck where you like the sound, I use my fingers and rest my thumb between the pickup screws. Comfy, sounds good, fine. Rest is up to you. Variation is the spice of life!
4. Output signal should be pretty strong. Those huge magnets and massive windings (especially on the very early ones) give a healthy output. Maybe too far from the strings? One of the most powerful sounds from a bass.

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1008023' date='Oct 31 2010, 11:36 PM']For what its worth here's my experience:

1. - MM said (about the original pre-eb basses anyway) the pre-amp battery draw is so low the battery lasts as long as its shelf life. The very early ones were always 'on', they pretty quickly used the jack as the switch, so unplug when not in use. Mine as been busy and has lasted a year, so far.
2. Yep, you'll need to play with the string pickup heights. MM are not brilliantly balanced and the G end needs to be as close to the string as poss. Yes, they do go all phasey if too close, then run the other end of the pickup further away to get a good balance. The screws go into proper inserts in the body and use proper springs (unlike Fenders) and so are easily adjusted, even by fingers if you press the pickup in.
3. Pluck where you like the sound, I use my fingers and rest my thumb between the pickup screws. Comfy, sounds good, fine. Rest is up to you. Variation is the spice of life!
4. Output signal should be pretty strong. Those huge magnets and massive windings (especially on the very early ones) give a healthy output. Maybe too far from the strings? One of the most powerful sounds from a bass.[/quote]

Thanks for that, most helpful.

After seven gigs and a couple of rehearsals I think I've got the neck set right with the pickup height about right. Might need to drop the pickup slightly on the bass side as it didn't sound right on the B string tonight (pronounced audible 'click').

I've got to say that after my initial struggles, this is turning into one of the easiest basses to play!

[quote name='JPJ' post='1006333' date='Oct 30 2010, 01:55 PM']1) how long does a battery last?
2) what's the best string to pickup height (to close and it sounds choked, to far and it sounds weak)?
3) is it just me or is the tone very dependent on whether you pluck over the pickup or in front/behind?
4) the output signal is not as hot as my East equipped Jazz'es, what do people think of the East MM 3-band circuit?[/quote]
1) Depends how long you have the lead plugged in. Carry a battery and a Phillips screwdriver.
2) I think you've answered your own question.
3) Ditto.
4) It doesn't matter how hot the instrument signal is. If you need more or less, adjust the gain on the amp.

[quote name='JPJ' post='1006333' date='Oct 30 2010, 01:55 PM']4) the output signal is not as hot as my East equipped Jazz'es, what do people think of the East MM 3-band circuit?[/quote]
I've got one in my OLP and I love the voicing (a bit more "aggressive" than the MM 3-band preamp; voiced more like the MM 2-band, which the East is based on) and flexibility of the sweepable mid. I've just sold my "proper" MM SR5, so I can't do a direct comparison for hotness, but I don't remember there being a noticeable difference in output between them.

We need to get a North-East bash sorted out. It's been a YEAR, people.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1010470' date='Nov 3 2010, 10:16 AM']We need to get a North-East bash sorted out. It's been a YEAR, people.[/quote]

Agreed! Michael? Michael? are you there Michael? :)

[quote name='JPJ' post='1006333' date='Oct 30 2010, 01:55 PM']I've recently picked up an early nineties MM Stingray five string and have the following questions which I thought you guys might know the answer to:

1) how long does a battery last?
4) the output signal is not as hot as my East equipped Jazz'es, what do people think of the East MM 3-band circuit?

I'm loving playing the bass which sits lovely on the strap and the neck is to die for. Fits really well in both my bands, but I do find it a little harder to play than my East equipped Overwater J as it's just not as sensitive to the touch.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated :)[/quote]

1) forever
well, not quite, but many months of daily use. It will not suddenly die, you'll hear degradation before you get to that, so you'll have warning. I normally change it every few months without getting to that. For peace of mind.

2) Ernie Ball's website has the specs and lots of good info about loking after your oiled neck. I just adjust by ear. Tilting away from teh strings on the E side.

3) That's true on any guitar. How hard you pluck will enhance/disguise some of teh differences

4) I love mine. I installed it in a 2EQ Stingray, and it keeps teh character of teh 2EQ sound but the mid sweep gives it a bit extra when you want it. I love it. Output is similar to the original preamp. Not the hottest output the way I normally set it, but you can boost bass to saturate any external preamp. Loads of bottom on tap.

Just a little note on my experience with the weak G. The sparkle from the treble knob turned up can make the G overcoming. However, the G did seem a tad weak after I got used to my '79 'Ray and, of course I had the pickup as close as possible to the string. It does 'choke' when too close, the magnets are very strong and they affect the string and it gives a weak phasey sort of sound.

I learnt to move the pickup away from the G string, balancing across by moving the E end away further, which solved the issue. Be careful not to go too close with the G, move the E side away. There is loads of output so you wont lose power. My G is nice and strong, just don't have the pickup as close as on other guitars. No doubt the volume might be set slightly higher than before, not enough to notice.

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1012717' date='Nov 4 2010, 10:58 PM']Just a little note on my experience with the weak G. The sparkle from the treble knob turned up can make the G overcoming. However, the G did seem a tad weak after I got used to my '79 'Ray and, of course I had the pickup as close as possible to the string. It does 'choke' when too close, the magnets are very strong and they affect the string and it gives a weak phasey sort of sound.

I learnt to move the pickup away from the G string, balancing across by moving the E end away further, which solved the issue. Be careful not to go too close with the G, move the E side away. There is loads of output so you wont lose power. My G is nice and strong, just don't have the pickup as close as on other guitars. No doubt the volume might be set slightly higher than before, not enough to notice.[/quote]

+1 to all of this! Thats exactly what I have done to both Rays and all is funkydory!