Why become a member? ×

Dealing with GAS - remedies?

Twigman

I felt a bout of GAS coming on last week.

Desperate I was to spec up my own Warmouth parts bass and drop many $$$ that I didn't have on a bass that probably wouldn't have worked properly had I done it.
After speccing up 2 or 3 different possibilities I quashed this episode of GAS by upgrading my home studio's software from Sonar 7PE to Sonar 8.5PE (at a fraction of the cost) so that it might now run on W7x64.

But the GAS is back and today my mouse is hovering over the 'Add to Basket' button on a MIM Fender Deluxe Precision Special...........now I know I should go to the shops and sit and play the actual guitar I plan to buy but the urge is strong..

Oh and a Hartke head and 4.5XP cab is pulling my credit card out of my wallet this week too...

AAAAARGHH!!

Give me a painless cure!!

[quote name='Twigman' post='1005216' date='Oct 29 2010, 02:21 PM']I felt a bout of GAS coming on last week.

Desperate I was to spec up my own Warmouth parts bass and drop many $$$ that I didn't have on a bass that probably wouldn't have worked properly had I done it.
After speccing up 2 or 3 different possibilities I quashed this episode of GAS by upgrading my home studio's software from Sonar 7PE to Sonar 8.5PE (at a fraction of the cost) so that it might now run on W7x64.

But the GAS is back and today my mouse is hovering over the 'Add to Basket' button on a MIM Fender Deluxe Precision Special...........now I know I should go to the shops and sit and play the actual guitar I plan to buy but the urge is strong..

Oh and a Hartke head and 4.5XP cab is pulling my credit card out of my wallet this week too...

AAAAARGHH!!

Give me a painless cure!![/quote]

I feel your pain!

Have been gas'in over a Wal, lots of pedals etc.

So far this month I have bought/swapped a Ha3500 head, swollen pickle pedal,chorus ensemble pedal, Sansamp Bddi pedal,Blagged a Whammy on long term, bought a cheapie p bass, and just done a deal to get a T-bird!

The only remedy I can think of is getting 6 numbers on a saturday night!

Whats even worse is everytime I play, I think yeah I am happy with my bass/rig/tone/set-up, so why do I still WANT all this stuff!

Edited by blind pilot

[quote name='Twigman' post='1005216' date='Oct 29 2010, 02:21 PM']I felt a bout of GAS coming on last week.

AAAAARGHH!!

Give me a painless cure!![/quote]
Easy, hit the mouse button, GAS release but closely followed by an onset of guilt/worry/self doubting

I used to be terrible for it. I still get pangs when I look at nice basses.

Whenever I do get GAS, I think about how I'm saving towards a deposit on a house and how uncertain things are with jobs in the current climate. Can I really afford to spend so much money on an expensive bass when I have one at home that does a great job? The answer is, I can't. GAS deflected momentarily.

Edited by Wil

Serious suggestion - stop buying, start trading.

I've had six high-end basses in-bound during 2010, but five of them were no-cash trades for high-end basses going the other way. So that's just just one expensive bass bought for cash all year, and I funded that by selling a high-end bass for cash. :)

I have a much bigger problem with cheap basses. I've bought four cheap basses so far this year, none of them essential, all of them for cash, all of them "Oh it's only £150" or "It's only £200" and that soon mounts up.

Another serious suggestion - never buy new if there's the slightest chance that you can get a pre-owned mint example. That really is stating the blindingly obvious, but a lot of people still hanker after new. Fair enough if it's a Celinder or a Shuker and you're dealing direct with the luthier, but makes no sense at all if you're buying a mass-produced bass.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1005335' date='Oct 29 2010, 03:29 PM']Serious suggestion - stop buying, start trading.[/quote]
Very good point. I've been "recycling" gear since 2005 & it helped. Ultimately what calmed me down was buying a really expensive dream bass. Since then I still get excited about MIMs & MIJs but then try them & realise they are not as good as my favourite job done. I also stripped & worked on my main bass. The time spent created a bond I've not had with any other instrument.