Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tab required

JGsurrey

Hey all.
First time poster .. so if this is in the wrong place, please shout at me (quietly!)

I am after a tab for Michael Jackon's 'Rock With You' for 4 string bass.
I need it for a wedding gig next weekend and the only assitance I can find on line is from 5 stringers ...
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

James (not Jamerson!)

Edited by JGsurrey

[quote name='JGsurrey' post='1004542' date='Oct 28 2010, 11:19 PM']Hey all.
First time poster .. so if this is in the wrong place, please shout at me (quietly!)

I need it for a wedding gig next weekend and the only assitance I can find on line is from 5 stringers ...

James (not Jamerson!)[/quote]
Tab is sh*t. You need to learn to read standard music notation. Sorry I can not help further :)

I hope someone CAN help you, I'm sure this bump will help.

EDIT: and a warm welcome to Basschat!

Edited by silddx

Hi James, Bobby Watson tuned his bass Eb, Ab, Db, Gb for this (all strings a half tone down) to accommodate for the way Quincy Jones arranged horn parts and music in general. I can't point you in a good direction for a tab but I'd recommend having a good listen to the track itself (I mean a really good listen to what the bass does) so as to approximate a bass line by ear. This might seem tough but it will be fundamentally more useful than learning from tab as it will get your ears working for you.

I agree tab is not great, but if you dont have the time or the ear to learn it from the record, it can save a little time

So assuming the 5 string instruction you have is anywhere near correct, then at least it gives you the notes on the string you don't have and could rearrange them to suit your bass

Hope that makes sense

[quote name='silddx' post='1004632' date='Oct 29 2010, 12:58 AM']Tab is sh*t. You need to learn to read standard music notation. Sorry I can not help further :lol:[/quote]

Or even learn it by ear :) . I actually learn stuff by ear so I can write tabs for it on tuxguitar that I send to my friends so they can learn the song! :)

[quote name='lojo' post='1004751' date='Oct 29 2010, 08:55 AM']I agree tab is not great, but if you dont have the time or the ear to learn it from the record, it can save a little time

So assuming the 5 string instruction you have is anywhere near correct, then at least it gives you the notes on the string you don't have and could rearrange them to suit your bass

Hope that makes sense[/quote]

+1. This is what i'd do.

Tab is NOT sh*t, it's not as good as proper music notation, but I've happily learnt many hundreds of songs using it and by playing along to the track, it's a great start point.

Now reading music is better and should be encouraged (I'm learning) but don't let the music snobs on here diss tabs, they have there place.

BTW if it was me, looking at the 5 string tab I think It's going to be tough, one option would be to restring a spare bass BEAD for quick results as the G doesn't get used a lot.

Other wise it's a retab job.

Welcome on board!

Not sure how accurate this is but it's tabbed for a 4 string and tuned to E.
[url="http://www.911tabs.com/link/?6643940"]http://www.911tabs.com/link/?6643940[/url]
You will need guitar pro (or tux guitar if you don't have guitar pro [url="http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/)"]http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/)[/url] to see the file.

[quote name='farmer61' post='1004785' date='Oct 29 2010, 09:17 AM']Tab is NOT sh*t, it's not as good as proper music notation, but I've happily learnt many hundreds of songs using it and by playing along to the track, it's a great start point.

Now reading music is better and should be encouraged (I'm learning) but don't let the music snobs on here diss tabs, they have there place.

BTW if it was me, looking at the 5 string tab I think It's going to be tough, one option would be to restring a spare bass BEAD for quick results as the G doesn't get used a lot.

Other wise it's a retab job.

Welcome on board![/quote]

The BIG issue I have with tab is when people write out incorrect tabs (either they're new to ear learning, or they just rushed through the tab without listening to the song properly because they wanted some UG brownie points :) ) and then dosens, hundreds or even thousands of guitar and bass players from across the world use the incorrect tab as an absolute reference for what they should be playing, without actually listening to see whether it's correct.

I remember we were playing a song at band practice when we were looking for a bass player, and 3 people turned up and did EXACTLY the same mistake on the song and i mean like a seriously obvious error! They could have just spent 2 mins playing the bass along with the original recording at the right levels and it would have clearly come up that the tab was wrong and they would have corrected it! A case in point imo about how one person's mistake writing out the tab can have big repercussions if it becomes the "main" tab for the song on a site like UG for example. As I say though, I'm still forced to write out tabs for people in my band(s) because they are unable/unwilling to learn songs by ear. Which is quite annoying.

Edited by EdwardHimself

Yay, a polarising debate!

I think some use of tab is fine as long as its limitations are taken into consideration. You should always use your ears first. It'll be slow to start with, but it will get better the more you try to pick out bass from listening to music.

I have found that tab can occasionally give you [b]an idea[/b] of how to play a song (or a difficult part), but play the notes along with the song to see if they make sense. As some people have said, there's a lot of rubbish out there - that's because all the free tabs out there are people's own interpretations and people get things wrong.

I've only been playing properly for a few years, but my ear is improving all the time and my reliance on tab and suchlike crutches when learning songs is getting less and less.

Don't rely on free internet tab because it isn't reliable, but if you go into it eyes and ears open then it can sometimes be useful.

I also like using TAB. I know most are not 100% correct but if you dont have a good ear, or time to work something out they can be a big help.
It certainly helps to work through the TAb along with the track itself so you can hear where its going wrong. Most TAB's are pretty basic but good enough to get you started.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1004795' date='Oct 29 2010, 09:28 AM']The BIG issue I have with tab is when people write out incorrect tabs (either they're new to ear learning, or they just rushed through the tab without listening to the song properly because they wanted some UG brownie points :) )[/quote]

I never assume any TAB is correct, it saves me a few minutes as a starter sometimes, but you always have to fill in the details by ear and rewind

As a non reader, am I to assume that every "proper" piece of music I could google or find in a book has an exactly correct bass part, including every slight variation

Im kinda hoping you answer yes to that

[quote name='farmer61' post='1004785' date='Oct 29 2010, 09:17 AM']Tab is NOT sh*t, it's not as good as proper music notation, but I've happily learnt many hundreds of songs using it and by playing along to the track, it's a great start point.[/quote]
I was being highly sarcastic :)

The best is tab and music notation together. For modern fretted instruments both perform very useful functions.