Why become a member? ×

For sale PRS Bass EB IV Vintage 'burst

warwickhunt

No fancy inlays or exotic woods but a stonking great bass!

There may be some contention over the body wood as the grain etc. seems to indicate Swamp Ash but the PRS basses of this period were generally Alder. The neck is quarter sawn maple with a maple fingerboard cap and pearloid inlays. Controls are Vol/Vol/Tone with an active/passive switch. The bass is presently set up with round-wounds and a very low action. Comes complete with the original PRS case with preformed internal foam and the various hang-tags and tools. A few small marks but nothing major or through the finish (not even any worming), very good/excellent for an 8yr old bass.

I'm only interested in fretted 4 string basses; any bass offered would need to be under 9lb in weight and ideally have a small(ish) body with cash adjustment either way depending upon your bass. I wouldn't dismiss any bass out of hand but I'm not overly keen on the colour blue... sorry! :lol:

To clarify the 'small body' stipulation; I consider that a Stingray has a large(ish) body but a Sterling doesn't and I'm not really interested in cricket bat style basses. :)

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1003902' date='Oct 28 2010, 03:40 PM']Out of interest was this the one in the Bass Centre a few years ago, used to be Rhino Edwards (Status Quo's)?[/quote]

I've no idea mate, it'd be nice if it had some 'Pro' provenance; not many of these about but I'd have no way of checking.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1003949' date='Oct 28 2010, 04:02 PM']Is it just that it's closer to the camera... or is it that much bigger than the P? :) Looks huge!

Either way, I've only got the nearly-10-pound blue Stingray-sized SUB on offer at the moment, so I can't help you out here, John. :lol:[/quote]

No the PRS isn't that much bigger than the P bass, it's just the camera angle/illusion. As for your 10lb large-bodied blue Stingray... just how wrong for me could one bass be! :)

[quote name='mart' post='1003957' date='Oct 28 2010, 04:07 PM']Ah, that explains it: I was wondering what bass you were holding in the Stateside Preachers poster - I could tell it wasn't a W or a Zon![/quote]

:) For a second there you had me wondering how the heck someone from Wales had seen one of my band's posters advertising a gig in the North east of England (didn't think that it could be via friends in Talgarth, Wales)... then I remembered I'd used it on a thread on BC! :)

However that does leave me with a dilemma; if I trade the bass will people viewing the poster expect me to be playing a PRS? :lol:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1003980' date='Oct 28 2010, 04:15 PM']:) For a second there you had me wondering how the heck someone from Wales had seen one of my band's posters advertising a gig in the North east of England (didn't think that it could be via friends in Talgarth, Wales)... then I remembered I'd used it on a thread on BC! :)

However that does leave me with a dilemma; if I trade the bass will people viewing the poster expect me to be playing a PRS? :lol:[/quote]

Haha! Yep, I bet you had loads of people turning up to the gig just wanting to hear/see your PRS bass :)

[quote name='mart' post='1006675' date='Oct 30 2010, 08:37 PM']Haha! Yep, I bet you had loads of people turning up to the gig just wanting to hear/see your PRS bass :)[/quote]

Oddly enough we played last night and one guy (the bassist in a local band) did ask where my PRS was! :)

At the time I was too busy sorting out the PA for the 2nd set to realise what he'd said so didn't ask why the question! :lol:

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1003902' date='Oct 28 2010, 03:40 PM']Out of interest was this the one in the Bass Centre a few years ago, used to be Rhino Edwards (Status Quo's)?[/quote]

No WH's isnt that one - I own that one (the ex Rhino Edwards one) and it was a dog when I got it. It isnt now!

I would like to get hold of this one as I desperately love the Maple necked ones - Although I can clarify that WHs is in fact an Alder body as is clearly a three piece and identical to mine- The Swamp Ash bodies are 2 piece and very rare and I probably own the only 2 in the UK!

If only I wasnt in the situation I find myself in I would have been biting WHs hands off for this.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='1006714' date='Oct 30 2010, 09:23 PM']I would like to get hold of this one as I desperately love the Maple necked ones - Although I can clarify that WHs is in fact an Alder body as is clearly a three piece and identical to mine- The Swamp Ash bodies are 2 piece and very rare and I probably own the only 2 in the UK![/quote]

Best you start saving Bob... this is 2 pieces! :lol:

Not yanking your chain but I've scrutinised this for the last 15 minutes under various lights and it is centre jointed 2 piece; you can trace various wood striations to see there are no further joints other than the centre one.

So I own 1 of the only 3 in the UK... bet I still can't get a trade! :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1006743' date='Oct 30 2010, 09:57 PM']Best you start saving Bob... this is 2 pieces! :)

Not yanking your chain but I've scrutinised this for the last 15 minutes under various lights and it is centre jointed 2 piece; you can trace various wood striations to see there are no further joints other than the centre one.

So I own 1 of the only 3 in the UK... bet I still can't get a trade! :lol:[/quote]

J, as far as I am aware the only Swampies were finished in vintage trans yellow as my two are, It was proabably a bit missleading of me saying that yours is Alder ONLY because they were 3 piece, I have a 2 piece alder bodied one with a curly maple top - I also have a 3 piece Alder (Rhinos old one) and a 2 piece painted Alder.

Yours would be very unlikely to be a Swampy as its too early as I have the Prototype that was made late 2002 but listed as 2003 and as yours is from the production run of 02 it cant be Swampash.

Irrespective of what it is - it is a magnificent bass and I would love to be able to afford it. If my rifles sell in the next few weeks I may still have this ......

:)

[quote name='chuck_stones' post='1007253' date='Oct 31 2010, 12:41 PM']All I've got up for trade at the moment is [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=108838"]this[/url] Vester Clipper....thought I'd throw it out there, but guessing there would need to be a bank breaking cash adjustment in your favour for a PRS?[/quote]

'Fraid I'd want a fair wedge of cash as well but worse than that... "It's a great sounding bass with the [u]heavy[/u] solid body"! That word 'heavy' just kills any trade dead I'm afraid. :)

[quote name='H the Bass' post='1008206' date='Nov 1 2010, 09:36 AM']Have a look at my gibson les paul m8 its got a small body allmost jazz type neck and balances great?IN BASS GUITAR SALES[/quote]

Thanks for the offer but not for me thanks.

New pics added in the first post!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1013998' date='Nov 6 2010, 09:16 AM']I've played this and its VERY lovely.

Just sayin'.[/quote]

It's playing even better now MB... I had a couple of hours spare so I went through and fettled a few basses, nothing major just some string changes (different gauges/makes) meant that a couple of basses needed rod tweaks etc and I was well impressed with how the PRS responded. I thought I'd give the PRS a bit more set-up as the neck had very little (almost flat) relief in because I've just been noodling in the house on it; However, I had Kev (Bucket) around (lots of complimentary comments re. you) and he's a bit heavier handed than me so he had the bass making the occasional rattle with some RHCP stuff. Literally an 1/8 of a turn on the rod and I had an action as low as any of my basses with no buzz. :)

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1014865' date='Nov 6 2010, 11:16 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=62500"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach...st&id=62500[/url]

Tentative trade offer?

Very light...[/quote]

Is this the one that Javi had up for sale? Can you PM me some details; in particular if it is Javi's old one does it really weigh 3kg and in that case how does it balance?