Why become a member? ×

Fretless Farida FJB - Prototype Finished!

AndyTravis

I just thought that the ramp was a nice USP compared to other Fender clones (I know it's not an exact clone, but you know what I mean) in the same price bracket.

If it's shipping with an unattached clear scratch plate could you be really cutting edge and have the ramp moulded into the scratch plate? That would be really unique :)

I'll see what happens when they're in my hands.
Looking at the costing sheet so far not factoring in the ramp and pickguards, is looking like the upper limits.
I think the duncans and the nice top, as well as a real ebony fingerboard and more versatile controls give this bass legs.
I'n thinking the pickguard would interupt the top too much, and the ramp is a bit niche anyhow.
I'll still be making one for mine though.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1009679' date='Nov 2 2010, 03:24 PM']I'll see what happens when they're in my hands.
Looking at the costing sheet so far not factoring in the ramp and pickguards, is looking like the upper limits.
I think the duncans and the nice top, as well as a real ebony fingerboard and more versatile controls give this bass legs.
I'n thinking the pickguard would interupt the top too much, and the ramp is a bit niche anyhow.
I'll still be making one for mine though.[/quote]

Proper pickups and nice wood are much more fundamental to my mind than strange novelties like ramps. A clear pickguard could be cool, but should definitely be optional only if you want as much mass appeal as possible (IMO).

When I asked about getting one made in Blue, as a fretted Maple Neck...

[i]"We are lucky because we still have a body to use, please check the attached SBL burst and let me know your
thoughts.

Maybe we can make it with darker blue edge, not black one.

By the way, 2 finished Fretless basses have been sent to you via DHL yesterday."[/i]

I've asked them to soften the colouring a bit, the colour they've sent looks a bit G&L.

I'll add an update with regards to this, nice to have a Manufacturer recycling their parts bin to make me a bass :)

Anyhow, not far away now!

Great thread :)

Seeing the partial fretlines, and not every fret at that, is a fantastic idea and one which I've only seen on high-end custom stuff (or maybe I should get out more).

All in all it looks like it's going to be a great bass. The only problem could be that it has the wrong name on the headstock, but hopefully it'll be good enough to attract the players and not the badge wearers

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1010503' date='Nov 3 2010, 10:46 AM']I think the bass should speak for itself, brand name or not.
Just got to make sure it gets into peoples hands.[/quote]

Well if I end up in the market for a Jazz Bass-esque instrument I'll be looking at Farida first for sure, not a lot of people have shouted about them yet, but the ones who have know what they're talking about when it comes to Jazzes :)

Do you know what price this one will be coming in at yet?

Eude

Not entirely sure about the position markers especially that weird double one at the octave.

My preferred system is side dots at the "fret" positions for 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 17, 19, 21 and 24 and corresponding dots on the fingerboard between the G and D strings (but closer to the G) for the 12 to 24 positions to help with the parallax issues.

BRX, this is a working prototype, if it doesn't work like that i will ask them to change it.

If we put markers everywhere it would start to look a mess, these maple inserts are at the 'front' of the dotted notes, and being a relatively plain fingerboard, the side indicators are at the note too, like my unlined fretless rather than between positions (like on most lined fretless basses) which would be confusing for most people.

[quote name='mart' post='1008855' date='Nov 1 2010, 06:49 PM']That prototype looks fantastic. I'm really not a Fender fan, but the flamed maple really sets that thing off beautifully.

I personally don't like the pickguard - it looks like a bit of Jaco left over from another project! So I'd go for no pickguard.

And definitely no ramp - I know it's contentious, but hey, I'm just stating my preference. :)

At this rate I can see I might be parting with some hard-earned and adding a J-style to my stable. I'm really impressed![/quote]
Totally with Mart here.

I think your decisions re the ramp and PG are spot on.

[quote name='silddx' post='1010938' date='Nov 3 2010, 03:47 PM']Totally with Mart here.

I think your decisions re the ramp and PG are spot on.[/quote]

Actually that's quite ironic cos I realized I was possibly using the wrong terminology, and misunderstanding your proposals, and probably ensuring that nobody understood what I meant. :)

On a Jazz bass you've got a pickguard (around the pickups), and a separate control plate (which the knobs sit on). And Jaco removed the pickguard but left the control plate.

What I meant to say was that it looked odd just having the control plate, and that it'd be better to have no control plate at all, with the knobs fitted through the wood of the bass (like on Warwicks, for example). I'm guessing that might be way too expensive to machine, though.

A metal control plate and a clear pickguard wouldn't look bad, but I personally think your bass looks better without any pickguard, and then the Jazz-style control plate looks out of place.

Sorry for any confusion etc!

Edited by mart

[quote name='mart' post='1011799' date='Nov 4 2010, 10:53 AM']Actually that's quite ironic cos I realized I was possibly using the wrong terminology, and misunderstanding your proposals, and probably ensuring that nobody understood what I meant. :)

On a Jazz bass you've got a pickguard (around the pickups), and a separate control plate (which the knobs sit on). And Jaco removed the pickguard but left the control plate.

What I meant to say was that it looked odd just having the control plate, and that it'd be better to have no control plate at all, with the knobs fitted through the wood of the bass (like on Warwicks, for example). I'm guessing that might be way too expensive to machine, though.

A metal control plate and a clear pickguard wouldn't look bad, but I personally think your bass looks better without any pickguard, and then the Jazz-style control plate looks out of place.

Sorry for any confusion etc![/quote]
No mate, that's exactly what I meant too. I understood you perfectly. BUT, what people love about fender types is the easy customisability with things like PGs, and they are so often swapped, so to save on the RRP, let them put one on if they want but not feel like they wasted cash on the one already on there. They also like that Jaco look, and the custom types with no control plate is too far from the Fender style for a lot of people. I think your decesions were excellent from a marketing POV :)

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='1012140' date='Nov 4 2010, 02:58 PM']No mate, that's exactly what I meant too. I understood you perfectly. BUT, what people love about fender types is the easy customisability with things like PGs, and they are so often swapped, so to save on the RRP, let them put one on if they want but not feel like they wasted cash on the one already on there. They also like that Jaco look, and the custom types with no control plate is too far from the Fender style for a lot of people. I think your decesions were excellent from a marketing POV :)[/quote]

Many thanks! I was beginning to think I'd completely lost the plot - it's really good to know you understood exactly what I meant.

I think i see your point.

The control plate in chrome means they can use the current body blanks to put the thin Maple veneer on the bass, and to be fair, it's to capture the slightly 'modified' appearence of the bass.

I just think if I asked them to rear-rout the bass, it will look like a Blade Tetra, or Sadowsky modern 4.

I'm unsure what will happen once these 3 basses arrived after a meeting with the product manager today; he's of the opinion they may end up too expensive, i.e. same price as a Mexi Fender.

Depends, i think the bass has at least been an interesting experiment, and if it ends up in production then happy days.

Still no news on the Blue Fretted version, if they send it fretless, i'll have it fretted.

Hi Andy,

I 've only spotted this thread today.

The aesthetics on those prototypes look great.

Just one thought. The choice of an ash body. I'm all in favour of that, having enjoyed the dramatic difference, in switching from a basswood precision clone. Ash just sings. However, the reduced body weight can bring about a big change in the overall balance. Are you able to guage the balance of this project?

All the best to you and Farida with the project.

Balcro.

Edited by Balcro

Panic over, they're here and they aren't damaged at all!
The necks had settled in transit, and needed a tiny amount of relief putting onto the neck.
One fully satin, one fully gloss.

At the minute i'm over excited, but i have to do a report tomorrow.

Pics and review to follow!

Trav