Why become a member? ×

Fretless Farida FJB - Prototype Finished!

AndyTravis

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='1034268' date='Nov 23 2010, 07:27 PM']They look great, can't wait to see it in the flesh!!

From those pictures i think i'm preferring the gloss one.[/quote]

See...i prefer the look of the Gloss too, but the Satin one feels really cool, and looks more modern.

The Gloss one is pretty snappy and bright, the Satin one sounds much smoother and plays much quicker...

I compared them side by side with the Squier VM and they look soo much more expensive, feel much nicer and the Seymour Duncans are much nicer than the Duncan Designeds.

Here are the 3 of them together, Squier at the front, obviously.

The Vol/Vol/Tone/Tone setup is a masterstroke too - I've already got into the sound of Bridge pickup on full, tone right up and Neck pickup backed off a bit with tone fully off, sounds wierdly cool.

Gripes? If any?

The Tint on the neck is pretty dark, and I can't figure out if it's nice or not. Matches the bursts well - looks kind of 'Roasted'.

The Fingerboard Marker at the 12th fret on one of them is a bit wonky, but I suspect it was the first one they did, so had a teething issue, doesn't bother me at this stage.

Edited by AndyTravis

Wow dude!
You must be chuffed to bits with these.
They make the Squier look like a £90 ebay bass by comparison, and I'll bet they do the same tone-wise too.
Oddly I like the look of the gloss one too, gloss body with a satin neck maybe?...

Have you guys worked out a retail price on these yet?

Eude

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1034289' date='Nov 23 2010, 07:44 PM']See...i prefer the look of the Gloss too, but the Satin one feels really cool, and looks more modern.

The Gloss one is pretty snappy and bright, the Satin one sounds much smoother and plays much quicker...

I compared them side by side with the Squier VM and they look soo much more expensive, feel much nicer and the Seymour Duncans are much nicer than the Duncan Designeds.

Here are the 3 of them together, Squier at the front, obviously.

The Vol/Vol/Tone/Tone setup is a masterstroke too - I've already got into the sound of Bridge pickup on full, tone right up and Neck pickup backed off a bit with tone fully off, sounds wierdly cool.

Gripes? If any?

The Tint on the neck is pretty dark, and I can't figure out if it's nice or not. Matches the bursts well - liks kind of 'Roasted'.

The Fingerboard Marker at the 12th fret on one of them is a bit wonky, but I suspect it was the first one they did, so had a teething issue, doesn't bother me at this stage.[/quote]

Are they staying in dawsons Andy or are you taking them home, I'd love to come have a go on them.

I think you've sold me on the satin one, but I'm sure most punters would go for the gloss - so if you're actually looking for a product that sells, then I think it would have to be gloss. But I'd love to be proved wrong!

Both look absolutely stunning, I should say!

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='1034392' date='Nov 23 2010, 08:36 PM']Are they staying in dawsons Andy or are you taking them home, I'd love to come have a go on them.[/quote]

They have to stay at the Shop, i've got to write a few reports and sort the costings.

At the moment though...you're more than welcome.

Drop me a PM for times when you can get down to me.

They may be going around the country to the other stores so they can have a look, give feedback etc.

Looking forward to getting these in a few sets of hands...then i'm going to buy them, get the Gloss one Fretted and flog all of my other gear, haha.

[quote name='eude' post='1034337' date='Nov 23 2010, 08:09 PM']Wow dude!
You must be chuffed to bits with these.
They make the Squier look like a £90 ebay bass by comparison, and I'll bet they do the same tone-wise too.
Oddly I like the look of the gloss one too, gloss body with a satin neck maybe?...

Have you guys worked out a retail price on these yet?

Eude[/quote]

Yeah, welled up a bit when I opened them up - very exciting.

The Squier is a great bass for the money, don't get me wrong...but these are really good for hopefully not a fat lot more.

I think Satin neck is a must - Just feels so fast in comparison to the gloss one; I can see the gloss being fine as a Fretted neck.

No pricing, unless they're free samples (haha, as if), in which case...Woop, I'm sure i'll have to pay something.

I'm debating what should be the cut off point, price wise.

[quote name='mart' post='1034398' date='Nov 23 2010, 08:40 PM']I think you've sold me on the satin one, but I'm sure most punters would go for the gloss - so if you're actually looking for a product that sells, then I think it would have to be gloss. But I'd love to be proved wrong!

Both look absolutely stunning, I should say![/quote]

Gloss looks best to me, Satin Feels better...both sound ace.

I think the Satin looks more modern.

I'm not sure which I prefer, YET.

[quote name='Darkstrike' post='1034635' date='Nov 24 2010, 12:30 AM']Very very cool!

The 4 knob setup is a bonus too in the fact that it makes it easy to upgrade to an Audere Jazz Plate with a passive tone, or a J-Retro Deluxe.[/quote]

That was my thinking, or just having what i'd call a 'Les Paul' arrangement is just more versatile.

Like I'd suggested earlier on, a good passive bass will sound great through a nice outboard preamp too if you want active sounds, whereas sorting a bad active bass is usually a tougher proposition.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1034438' date='Nov 23 2010, 09:00 PM']......then i'm going to buy them, get the Gloss one Fretted and flog all of my other gear, haha.[/quote]

No!! Don't fret those poor beautiful things - leave them fretless as nature intended.

Actually, being serious for a mo, the double-line at the 12th will look rather odd if you put frets in. It's a bit late to point this out, but that might be a reason to re-design the 12th marker.

Got the chance to play this bass the other day and i've got to say, it really plays beautifully.

To my ears, the gloss one sounded better and i didn't think the glossed neck was too bad to play.
Aesthetically, they were a little too orange for my liking but i think Andy agreed with me.

Any guys in Manchester i really do recommend going to try these basses out, thanks again Andy.

Anyway, heres a picture of my mate Ian trying it out.

Cheers Jake, a pleaseure to meet you and your buddy.

Sorry I didn't spend more time with you - having one of those days (long story).

I've ended up off work for a few days, so i'm hoping other people have been introduced to them, you never know.

I think the Body colours are brilliant, they've just missed the point on the tint of the necks - something i've already discussed with them.

But they do play great, and sound fantastic, as you said, easily knocks spots of an MIM Jazz.

I'm unsure if any e-mails have come through regarding prices, will check when i'm in tomorrow.

• 4 months later...

After just buying a Farida FB20 for a bargain price, I am now scouring the interweb to see what i can find out about them. Unsurprisingly the most info i get is from here and many Dawsons links! What did surprise me is thats pretty much all i can find about them.

I have found the Farida to be a most excellent bass indeed, and as has been said before they easily surpass the Squier CV range as well as the Mex basses and at the very least equal the current crop of American Fender Jazz bass, from what i can tell

So i am interested to know what became of this project? Where are these basses now?