Why become a member? ×

Best flatwounds for P Bass

peety

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1002111' date='Oct 27 2010, 10:06 AM']Elites feel and sound like la bella's but cost much less. Also keep away from rotosound, they'l break your fingers[/quote]

I play Rotosound flats with a pick and they feel fine to me.

I use TI flats on my 'P'. They're a very versatile string, given the lower tension, which is great for fingerstyle & slap. I found the JJ set too heavy for slap work. Get the action low and you get a lovely 'growl' from the TI's. It's a very personal thing.

[quote name='daz' post='1002444' date='Oct 27 2010, 05:53 AM']I just put some Rotosound sm77 monel flats on my cv jazz and they sound most excellent.[/quote]

I put some ROTO 77s on my Squier P and just love them.

They are a smidge more tension than others, possibly, but I don't mind that if my bass-elbow doesn't get sore again.

As far as breaking a neck goes - I don't see any troubles at all and I never even had to change the truss setting to keep the neck in place. Same-o, Same-o for me. That was coming off Fender 7250 NPSs that were on it.

I would not use them on thru-body or acoustic basses though.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1002228' date='Oct 27 2010, 11:35 AM']Exactly, and I think the TIs are a fair whack more. I think its more the feel that people like to comment on with flats....and the ommph![/quote]

MM20, what's the tension like on the EBs? I've got Rotoflats on my SR5 fretless and am looking for a lower tension set up.

My bad - you answered my question a few posts back (should read the whole thread and stop skimming).

BurritoB. Wouldn't worry too much - I wouldn't call the Roto's tension on my SR5 - 'neck breaking' just a bit higher than my personal preference. I'd personally be fine with them on a fretted but prefer something more like TI's on a Fretless. I've got a Roto 5 string set - unused/unopened if anyone wants them for say £15 (plus post).

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1009143' date='Nov 1 2010, 11:15 PM']Thomastiks are usually thought to be safe through the body. However I have twice had an A string break at the bridge.[/quote]

Ooo, they ain't cheap either!! Maybe roundwounds on a Tele bass ain't so bad after all - just roll the tone switch up to 3 with the foam and its flatwoundish, I might try the TI's at a later date. Thanks for letting me know :)

[quote name='martthebass' post='1005134' date='Oct 29 2010, 12:18 PM']MM20, what's the tension like on the EBs? I've got Rotoflats on my SR5 fretless and am looking for a lower tension set up.

My bad - you answered my question a few posts back (should read the whole thread and stop skimming).

BurritoB. Wouldn't worry too much - I wouldn't call the Roto's tension on my SR5 - 'neck breaking' just a bit higher than my personal preference. I'd personally be fine with them on a fretted but prefer something more like TI's on a Fretless. I've got a Roto 5 string set - unused/unopened if anyone wants them for say £15 (plus post).[/quote]

Hi!

Yep, as I mentioned, it is kind of inbetween. Not tense, not too light. Nice.