Why become a member? ×

Agencies for TV shows i.e. X-Factor Backing Musicians

Captain Bass

Does anyone know any good Agencies for doing TV work i.e. like the musicians they use on shows like X-Factor?

Also does anyone have any experience of doing this kind of work, or know of anyone that has?

Are there any dedicated Agencies for Musicians looking for work like this? does this fall into session musician agencies??

Cheers,
Andy

From what I understand the backing tracks are made by Producers with session Guys/Girls in the week. There's a Producer for each Judge/Category.
The people that are on stage pretending to play along during the show are booked by the production company but whether that's through an agency or something similar I don't know.

I'm pretty sure one agency (Face Music) handles all the musicians for X Factor, quite a few guys I work with have been on. From what I know the rate for miming on X Factor isn't that great, but it certainly looks good on the CV. Other session agencies handle work for other shows, so it's a case of getting on their books and having the right look.

[quote name='risingson' post='998885' date='Oct 24 2010, 02:36 PM']It's all the same guys on rotation at the BBC, put together by the same people and it's incredibly competitive to get into. Don't know about ITV but X-Factor don't have a band (although a friend of mine mimed playing a guitar once and got paid for doing so).[/quote]

One of the guys who plays guitar at our church sometimes played in some Xfactor shows so they must have a live band sometimes?

[quote name='skej21' post='998984' date='Oct 24 2010, 04:24 PM']Or the guy at your church tells porky pies?

X Factor only use backing tracks because it avoids using LOTS of electrical equipment that might cause technical difficulties and could sound bad and because it's a fairer system (for example, if one act's musicians screwed up or had technical issues, that might affect the public vote), so it is HIGHLY unlikely that the sessionist players on the backing tracks would also be hired to mime live on the show too.[/quote]

Except on Big Band week :)

[quote name='skej21' post='998984' date='Oct 24 2010, 04:24 PM']Or the guy at your church tells porky pies?

X Factor only use backing tracks because it avoids using LOTS of electrical equipment that might cause technical difficulties and could sound bad and because it's a fairer system (for example, if one act's musicians screwed up or had technical issues, that might affect the public vote), so it is HIGHLY unlikely that the sessionist players on the backing tracks would also be hired to mime live on the show too.[/quote]

What about the Big Band/Swing night...? Live then i think.
As for Musicians screwing up - for TV, you are talking about top notch players, not buskers from Leicester Square.
I am sure there are other reasons, budget being one, production values etc.IE everything built around hundreds of hoofers.

Garry

A couple of the girl singers from (current and previous) Strictly shows have sung with my covers band and from what I understand it's very much word of mouth and being IN with the right people. The band and singers are given songs/dots on the Friday and rehearse prior to the live show.
They pay reasonably well for the amount of work involved.

"Fridrik karlsson" is a guitarist who plays a part in live X factor shows

This is the guy

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0sZCNTDD0E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0sZCNTDD0E[/url]

I stated this to assist the original poster, they do have live music, but I don't know how often or what door he went through to get the gig

As a said, he just plays in our church sometimes as I do (although clearly I am not a real musician like he is:))

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' post='999327' date='Oct 24 2010, 08:34 PM']"Fridrik karlsson" is a guitarist who plays a part in live X factor shows

This is the guy

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0sZCNTDD0E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0sZCNTDD0E[/url]

I stated this to assist the original poster, they do have live music, but I don't know how often or what door he went through to get the gig

As a said, he just plays in our church sometimes as I do (although clearly I am not a real musician like he is:))[/quote]

Yep you are correct about 'Frizzy'...
The connection is - he is a friend and has worked a lot with/for Nigel Wright the Musical Director for X-Factor. Same for Phil Mulford.

Garry

[quote name='lojo' post='998962' date='Oct 24 2010, 03:58 PM']One of the guys who plays guitar at our church sometimes played in some Xfactor shows so they must have a live band sometimes?[/quote]

I can't say I watch the show too much, however I'm very aware for most of the live show apart from one or two episodes there is no live band. ITV doesn't hold a candle to the BBC in house players anyway.

you will usually See Karl Brazil playing Drums on the Show (Robbie Williams, James Blunt and Feeder)
sometimes a left handed guitarist called Tom longmore (i think) he plays for Natalie Imbruglia
and sometimes Luke Potashnik who was in Rooster...

i believe it to be word of mouth and friends and favours etc etc..