Why become a member? ×

Fodera Yin Yang - what do people think aesthetically?

molan

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1024010' date='Nov 14 2010, 09:24 PM']*blip* me! Has anyone here ever heard of the term "each to his own"? or.... one man meat is another man's poison, why are you lot so *blip*ing harsh on bloke's choice of bass?

Don't like it? Fine, just STFU about it. It's rude!

end of.[/quote]
To be fair personal opinions on it's aesthetics are being asked in the thread title. You can't expect for only positive answers to be submitted.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1024010' date='Nov 14 2010, 09:24 PM']*blip* me! Has anyone here ever heard of the term "each to his own"? or.... one man meat is another man's poison, why are you lot so *blip*ing harsh on bloke's choice of bass?

end of.[/quote]

"Fodera Yin Yang - what do people think aesthetically?, Base opinion purely on looks not price "

end of.[/quote]

Didn't you read the thread title? :)

Personally I think it is total cheese. I wonder if Vic also has a busty amazonian warrior woman airbrushed onto the spare wheel cover of his Suzuki 4WD.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1024019' date='Nov 14 2010, 09:31 PM']To be fair personal opinions on it's aesthetics are being asked in the thread title. You can't expect for only positive answers to be submitted.[/quote]
Quite - and while I wouldn't go as far as Wayne, for what it's worth I don't think the yin-yang design works in this context, and the body shape of the Monarch to me is clunky, cluttered & half-finished looking, like the slightly wonky-looking home-made basses that pop up on Ebay from time to time.

Quite like the pretty butterfly, though. :)

Jon.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1024021' date='Nov 14 2010, 09:32 PM']"Fodera Yin Yang - what do people think aesthetically?, Base opinion purely on looks not price "[/quote]

That's exactly what I was looking for - I wasn't actually planning to buy one when I started the thread and genuinely wanted to see what people thought of them.

I've always been in two minds about them and totally expected a few people to hate the design / finish etc.

Having started the thread & spent some time looking at them I decided that I really quite liked them & I know I'll appreciate the craftsmanship (as I do on all of the custom Foderas I've tried!). Then, hey presto, one popped up for sale in the USA, 6 months old never really been played, etc etc so I thought I'd take the plunge and give one a try, lol.

Having tried out a fair few different basses over the last couple of years I know just how god the Monarch body shape is, as an actual 'players' bass anyway. Nothing I've tried has come that close to my old '86 for genuine playability (in my fumbling hands anyway!) and the newer ones have added some nice little touches that I like a lot as well.

Hopefully the YY will be a nice addition - might not see a lot of gig use as that's reserved for the '86 but I'm looking forward to many an hour playing at home with it :)

• 2 weeks later...

So the YY arrived this week and it surpassed all of my expectations :)

The quality of construction was exactly what I'd expected having tried a few Fodera customs in the last 6 months but it's way nicer in he flesh than the photos suggest.

From the pics the 'classic' YY basses look very 'black and white', however, up close you can really see the gorgeous woods of the ebony and holly and they feel much more 'organic' than I would have thought. The ebony is really lovely and there's lots of different textures to the colour with some really nice natural wood finishes coming through.

The neck may just be the nicest I've ever played, smooth, perfectly shaped (for me anyway!) and just beautifully finished. I'm no pro player (as anyone who's heard me can bear witness to) but I have had the chance to play a swathe of 'pro' basses and this one just knocks all he others into a corner as far as I'm concerned!

The core sound is, unsurprisingly, very articulate and is really responsive to player dynamics. It shows up technical glitches but when you really get things right it just 'sings' like nothing else I've ever played.

Fodera say that they are only going to produce 6 a year of these moving forwards because they are just so labour intensive, having one that was completed this year feels nice but it's really not any kind of major reason that I like it so much!
Is it 'worth' the current $12,500 price tag (about £10K in the UK after taxes) - well that depends on whether you can afford one and
So - apologi

Damn - iPhone glitches screwing with me and messed up the end of my last post'

Is the YY 'worth' the amount a new one costs?

If you can afford one and don't get wound up by the inevitable cliches of whether any bass is 'worth' this much then I think undoubtably, yes.

Having worked for 'the man' for 30 years then I kinda feel I can indulge myself with a Yin Yang without Gavin to feel guilty for it, lol.

Is one worth about 40 Squiers the definitely not - but, on purely personal preferences I know which I'd rather be spending my 'precious' bass plain time with :)

Edited by molan

[quote name='molan' post='1040698' date='Nov 29 2010, 04:08 AM']Fodera say that they are only going to produce 6 a year of these moving forwards because they are just so labour intensive, having one that was completed this year feels nice but it's really not any kind of major reason that I like it so much!
Is it 'worth' the current $12,500 price tag (about £10K in the UK after taxes) - well that depends on whether you can afford one and
So - apologi[/quote]

I for one cannot afford it (like 99% of the other people reading this...maybe I'm wrong?), but I would buy one in a heartbeat if I could. So my game plan is to start saving my pennies, scour the for sale forum and wait with baited breath for when the time comes in some years that you decide to sell yours...and then take out a loan for the remainder of the cash and buy it :) I think it could work...

I've always wondered what you need to do to afford some of the better instruments, since, looking at my pay slip I had assumed I was doing very well for myself - but, alas, I've only worked for "the man" for five years or so, so I have more time to graft before I draw rewards and comfort.

I'm quite enjoying the notion of relativity, however. The bass costs only slightly less than I paid for my Mini Cooper S 09 plate last year :)

Or, for a mere 17 YY Foderas, you could buy my three bed? I recently added a pizzeria on the Isle of Wight to the family business portfolio - the price? A snip at 7 YYs!

:)