Why become a member? ×

ACG Harlot 4 SOLD

GreeneKing

Waves hello - not been around these parts much I know :)

I'm selling my ACG Harlot. About a year ago I switched to playing 5 string and I'm not playing this absolutely stunning bass. If money weren't an issue I'd keep it but I need the cash to pay for one of Alan's Graft range (5 string Gallus) to keep me in ACG-ness while waiting for my headless Gallus to be built.

A winning lottery ticket or a job offer would save me selling this bass :lol:

This is a stunning example of Alan's work which really is up with the best. I've spent time with Alan while he works and his attention to detail and level of workmanship is remarkable.

Here are some photos Alan took on its completion. It is in immaculate condition. I'll take some photos myself this week.

It has a rich ebony fretboard with 34" scale. Front and headstock facing is Ambonyna burl. Core is Hondo mahogany and the rear is a beautifully contrasting sycamore. Spacing at the bridge is in the region of 18 to 19mm.

The neck is flame maple and Macassor ebony with Macassor ebony to the rear of the headstock and on the cavity cover.

The pre-amp is an ACG 01 filter based unit with the later upgraded frequency ranges and coil switching for both of the RFB humbuckers. 18v supply to the pre.

Bass comes with a Hiscox hard case and Schaller straplocks.

The bass is in Kendal and viewing is welcome.

£950 - no trades

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='984048' date='Oct 11 2010, 07:41 AM']Yo Pedro - sorry you're having to sell this, I know how much love it. Hope you're ok mate :)[/quote]

Hiya Nik, Alan and all :lol:

I'm well thanks, Uni finished and looking for a real job as someone saw saw fit to give me a social work qualification :)

I've got a job offer at ASDA, part time, 5 days a week, 4 evenings and every weekend at £6.15 an hour (desperately looking for something else before I start in a week). Got an interview for a 'Christmas seasonal job' (not Santa) today.

Band teetering and needs new blood. Lady and I very happy. Busy with biking too.

Pedro

The neck on mine was described as 'the most comfortable neck he's ever felt' :)

It's an asymmetrical neck (usually) which means thicker at the top than the bottom which is much more natural feeling.

Sound... Errrr... Worlds your oyster really!

The pups are Alan's RFB Hum-buckers so yes MM style.

This is drawn from another thread but written by myself:

[i]I've been meaning to get around to producing a short post that illustrates how a filter based pre-amplifier works.

It really isn't rocket science, it's just a different approach to the usual 2/3 EQ and you can't really relate to one via the other imo.

In addition to a volume/blend knob basically you have:

1. A Low Pass Filter

The ACG01 fitted to Alan's basses has one per pickup.

The ACG02 retrofitted to a (cough) few of my basses has just the one.

Imagine it's a bath tap. When the tap is shut it's leaking just low frequency sound, about 20Hz if I remember correctly. As you open the tap it allows progressively higher frequencies to be added to the flow. When the tap is wide open it's allowing everything through from the 20Hz right up to 3kHz.

There's another 'little tap' on top that let's through a little extra just at the cut off frequency i.e. when the big one is shut that'd be 20Hz and when it's wide open 3kHz and wherever it's set in between. This allows you alter the shape of the frequency spectrum. This knob I will call the resonant peak boost, cause that's what it does.

The low pass filters are always letting sound through. This tone is what I'd call the 'meat'. It's always there. The High Pass Filter can be shut right down like a 'non leaky' tap. I'd describe this as the 'gravy' in that you can add some if you need to but it's not essential. If the tone through the low pass filters up to 3kHz is good for you you can ignore the high pass filter.

2. High Pass Filter

It's not so easy to demonstrate what it does because it's not possible to listen to it's output in isolation like it is with the low pass 'jobbies'.

It works in the same way but the other way around. When this (hot) bath tap is shut it just leaks the very highest frequencies (sizzling) and as it's opened progressively lower frequencies are added in right down to about 1kHz. So you can see that it overlaps the low pass filter when wide open with it's lowest mids lower that the low pass filters highest mids.

The top knob on this filter isn't a resonant peak boost (this is important) but a straight boost with minimum boost being zero. So it can effectively be turned off.

Here's how I go about creating my available range of tones:

1. Isolate high pass filter by shutting down it's boost and removing it from the tonal equation.

2. Blend to the neck pup and using low pass filter get the tone I want from it (I think more 'P' tone here).

3. Use the resonant peak boost to shape the tone further.

4. Blend to the bridge pup and repeat 2. and 3. above to get tone required (I like some jazzy honk).

5. With the 'meat' sorted middle the blend and introduce higher frequencies (gravy) where you want them and at the level (amount of boost) you want them.

6. The above is all done as preparation. For tone when playing just use your blend to go from neck to bridge pups and access a whole seamless range of tone.

So why bother?

A normal 2 or 3 EQ pre allows you to tweak the colour that that individual pre-amp creates. The ACG filter based pre-amp allows you to create the colour itself.

That's how I see it.
[/i]

Hi Peter, hope you're well, good luck with the job hunting

[quote name='cocco' post='984524' date='Oct 11 2010, 03:40 PM']Can you fill me in some more on the preamp and what kind of tone I can expect? Are these the MM style pickups the acg site talks about? The body shape is really growing on me :)[/quote]

[quote name='cocco' post='984526' date='Oct 11 2010, 03:42 PM']Also how does the neck feel? What's the shape like?[/quote]

re the preamp, think of a tone, and you should be able to dial it in, they're incredibly flexible

re the neck, most comfortable I've played, my 6 string ACG is more comfortable than the 4 string jazz I was noodling on.

And they're very comfortable and ergonomic on the strap, absolutely no neck dive.

[quote name='cocco' post='984524' date='Oct 11 2010, 03:40 PM']Can you fill me in some more on the preamp and what kind of tone I can expect?[/quote]
Alan's preamps are for want of a word [b]awesome[/b].
You get a [s]broad[/s] phenomenal range of modern, top-end tones with just about any frequency you lust after dial-able. You are not just talking bass, treble, vol here so they do require a minute or two to sit down and digest the almost infinite possibilities that are at your fingertips.
And in the right hands you can do sweepy wah-wah tricks with it too. :)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='983832' date='Oct 10 2010, 09:50 PM']I need the cash to pay for one of Alan's Graft range (5 string Gallus) to keep me in ACG-ness while waiting for my headless Gallus to be built.[/quote]

Saw the Graft yesterday Peter. Droollllllllllllllllllllllllll

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='984745' date='Oct 11 2010, 07:20 PM']The bass is provisionally sold.[/quote]
Good and bad news as I know how much effort you put into the spec.

Someone is going to be a happy camper. :)

I always trawl through the forsale threads thinking I'd like something else but as soon as I play the Recurve I want for nothing.