Why become a member? ×

Allparts vs. WD vs. Others Parts Suppliers

Jono Bolton

Who are the best parts retailers in the UK? I'm looking to get a new scratchplate for my MIM Jazz and there's similar ones on both Allparts and WD but the price difference is a tenner. Has anyone had experience with the two companies? I have a WD scratchplate on my Precision and it's pretty good. Who would I be better off buying from? The Allparts site doesn't say what models their plates fit, while WD has plates for all models. Or is there another company thats better than the two and I just haven't come across them yet?

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='112171' date='Jan 2 2008, 11:15 AM']yeah the pickguard i bought from wd didn't fit my guitar either, but i've bought other parts from both of them which have been spot on.[/quote]

Come to think of it I don't reckon I've ever bought a scratchplate for a Fender bass that fitted straight off.

[quote name='Machines' post='112105' date='Jan 2 2008, 07:29 AM']The 2 scratchplates i've had from WD haven't actually fitted without modification. They were for a Stingray and a Mexi Jazz - hardly non-standard stuff we're talking about.[/quote]

fwiw, the scratchplate I got from Thomann didn't fit my 79 Precision but the one from Warmoth was spot on.

I've found WD a bit variable - generally good, but not always. I recently tried a very expensive tort plate for a Pbass and it was awful - nothing minor, it didn't even cover the routing properly round the jack. And it looked pretty bad. Bought the same thing about ten years ago and it was a perfect fit (on a 70's Pbass) and very close to the original in colour,ply etc.

I'd suggest "guitarpartsresource.com" or something very close to that, they've got a good bass section plus they deliver pretty quickly.

There's always a bit of "fitting" required, but nothing major in most cases - most important is to get the holes in the best alignment possible so you don't distort them all (basswood bodies can be very soft!)

BB

The scratchplate for my precision I got from WD didnt go on as easily as I'd hoped, a bit of force was needed to get it over the pickup but it was a pretty snug fit once I'd snapped it into place. I spent ages last night scouring eBay, and decided to get a genuine Fender one, seems the only way to avoid the will it fit/wont it hassle of buy from a parts supplier. Found one from the states, gonna be about £11 inc. postage.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='112708' date='Jan 3 2008, 08:24 AM']Make your own you wooos!

:huh:[/quote]

Don't have the time, materials, tools, money or skill :)
I posted a request for a 'plate in the Wanted section of the Marketplace, and was put onto Highly Strung, buying a new white pearl guard from there tomorrow after the wages are in! Some very positive feedback about them so I'm settled.

Also, I used WD myself when I was after replacement knobs for the Jazz and some new allen keys. After phoning to ask if the knobs would fit the pot shaft and being told they would, they didn't, and they didn't send the allen key I'd ordered. I returned them, and they sent me the same wrong parts again. Eventually had to ask for a refund, which they did, no problems at all. Bit disappointed, but the P-bass plate it excellent, really top drawer.