Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Appreciation Thread!

BASainty

Fair play you have done a great job on it :happy: Are you going to do anything with the body like re spray it or something? or will you let it age with grace? I've always like the idea of a little project for me to work on but always been put off by the fact im not great with electronics and stuff like that lol. What would you say is the best way to get into that sort of thing?

Just out of interest how much did the whole thing cost at the end?

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1350303418' post='1836956']
Fair play you have done a great job on it :happy: Are you going to do anything with the body like re spray it or something? or will you let it age with grace? I've always like the idea of a little project for me to work on but always been put off by the fact im not great with electronics and stuff like that lol. What would you say is the best way to get into that sort of thing?

Just out of interest how much did the whole thing cost at the end?
[/quote]

Och no, I'm just going to leave it as is, it's not awful looking and it also means that I wouldn't be apoplectic with rage if someone knocked it over or whatever (like I would be if say my Gibson RD Artist took a tumble!). The only thing that's bugging me now is the non standard tuners, they're licenced Schallers like you might find on a Fender product and while they do the job fine the buttons aren't "right" and I'd like to make it right if I can find some replacements :)

If you're just starting out with projects/rebuilds, in my opinion you can't beat getting hold of a Squier/Fender P or J. So much choice of replacement parts and all mostly interchangeable. It was pure luck that I managed to get all Yamaha BB bits for this one, replacing them with off the shelf stuff would probably have required some woodworking/ingenuity, some of which would have been irreversible (changing size/shape of pickup routs etc.)

All in all this cost me around £50. This was due to some very generous BCers being on board with what I was trying to do and basically giving me the stuff for not much more than postage costs or even taking that on the chin in return for a wee contribution to ped's Greggs fund ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1350308306' post='1837058']
Och no, I'm just going to leave it as is, it's not awful looking and it also means that I wouldn't be apoplectic with rage if someone knocked it over or whatever (like I would be if say my Gibson RD Artist took a tumble!). The only thing that's bugging me now is the non standard tuners, they're licenced Schallers like you might find on a Fender product and while they do the job fine the buttons aren't "right" and I'd like to make it right if I can find some replacements :)

If you're just starting out with projects/rebuilds, in my opinion you can't beat getting hold of a Squier/Fender P or J. So much choice of replacement parts and all mostly interchangeable. It was pure luck that I managed to get all Yamaha BB bits for this one, replacing them with off the shelf stuff would probably have required some woodworking/ingenuity, some of which would have been irreversible (changing size/shape of pickup routs etc.)

All in all this cost me around £50. This was due to some very generous BCers being on board with what I was trying to do and basically giving me the stuff for not much more than postage costs or even taking that on the chin in return for a wee contribution to ped's Greggs fund ;)
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice I will look into it =) I actually might have a set of BB tuners up for sale soon as I might be changing mine off my BB414, all depends on how much I can live with the neck dive lol. If they become available I will give you a shout =).

£50!? Thats the bargain of the year you were very lucky indeed.

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1350309176' post='1837076']
Thanks for the advice I will look into it =) I actually might have a set of BB tuners up for sale soon as I might be changing mine off my BB414, all depends on how much I can live with the neck dive lol. If they become available I will give you a shout =).

£50!? Thats the bargain of the year you were very lucky indeed.
[/quote]

Cheers for the offer but if I remember correctly (I had a BB614) those tuners have the wrong buttons (fairly normal elephant ears) - the ones for my era of bass have more chunky, slightly heart shaped ones like this:

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1350313522' post='1837140']
Cheers for the offer but if I remember correctly (I had a BB614) those tuners have the wrong buttons (fairly normal elephant ears) - the ones for my era of bass have more chunky, slightly heart shaped ones like this:

[/quote]

Ahh ok man no worries well if I come across any I will remember to let you know =) What era is yours anyway?

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1350313778' post='1837147']
Ahh ok man no worries well if I come across any I will remember to let you know =) What era is yours anyway?
[/quote]

If I've read everything correctly (serial number and years of availability of this particular model) then mine is a 1985 BB450.

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1350252124' post='1836515']
Welcome to the club ;) I love the BB424X and you got it in the best colour!
All types BB are pretty special in the sense that they punch way above their weight.

Can you post any cheeky pics of it up? :D
[/quote]

Here you go -

[IMG]http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj640/mudpup1/Guitars/1e5c0d9ebbca5abb620f89ded1fc8836.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj640/mudpup1/Guitars/9cb7b282d631de22f7a2ae25e3ecdc0e.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj640/mudpup1/Guitars/ffdf3b3ba01f8acc61b80eb46c419dc6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj640/mudpup1/Guitars/4fbed82c5e5926e54c499ccda05fe13a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj640/mudpup1/Guitars/1c18b89133273dd34836ef0770de89f4.jpg[/IMG]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was quite lucky with the TRB, it was listed on Ebay as a "Yamaha 7RB" so it didnt get much interest so it ended up going for £170. The body had quite a few surface scratches but a couple of minutes with a buffer soon sorted that out.

Its probably my favourite bass

Oh yeah, Ive got a no name jazz bass with a Yamaha neck pickup. Does that count? :D

Edited by BassHertz

Oich! What a bargain! I love TRBs. . . I think I've had too many. I've been downsizing. If anybody is keen on a beautiful old TRB 6P, I'm selling one! (shameless plug alert?)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/184881-l1100-fsft-1988-yamaha-trb-6p-pure-brilliant/page__st__20__p__1880594__hl__trb__fromsearch__1#entry1880594"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1880594[/url]

Damn, that blue finish looks better than I thought on the TRB6ii.
Only thing I got tired of with mine is the amber finish on it...Not really to my tastes. Didn't mind it to begin with but oh well, price I pay for an excellent bass.
I do want another one day though and it will be in that finish.

Anyway, today I got a Yamaha TRB1006. Figured as the price was right I'd try one. I mean, narrower spacing has it's benefits in places and the more modern neck profile is welcome. 17mm is still comfortable to slap with to me.
Have to say, not sure why people say these are a poor version. 1st off, it's not really fair to compare them as the specs are different (Spacing, neck profile, body, Korean made etc). I'm quite impressed personally and I've been using a '98 TRB6II for almost 5 years now as my main bass.

Tone is a little darker. Still sharp and aggressive but the mids are different. Action sits 3mm off the frets, just like my TRB6II. Same inlays as the BB's of today as well, which I quite like and do I love the trans red over quilted maple finish.
It's missing the "TRB" motif off of the headstock but I guess that's just to show it's a "lower end" model...If you could call it that.

All in all, I think the 1000 series are great basses in their own right. There's a reason they have a different numerical name. :-P

...And I can't upload pics atm it seems so I shall get back to that, along with my other Yammies. :-)

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Kongo' timestamp='1354666216' post='1889043']
Damn, that blue finish looks better than I thought on the TRB6ii.
Only thing I got tired of with mine is the amber finish on it...Not really to my tastes. Didn't mind it to begin with but oh well, price I pay for an excellent bass.
I do want another one day though and it will be in that finish.

Anyway, today I got a Yamaha TRB1006. Figured as the price was right I'd try one. I mean, narrower spacing has it's benefits in places and the more modern neck profile is welcome. 17mm is still comfortable to slap with to me.
Have to say, not sure why people say these are a poor version. 1st off, it's not really fair to compare them as the specs are different (Spacing, neck profile, body, Korean made etc). I'm quite impressed personally and I've been using a '98 TRB6II for almost 5 years now as my main bass.

Tone is a little darker. Still sharp and aggressive but the mids are different. Action sits 3mm off the frets, just like my TRB6II. Same inlays as the BB's of today as well, which I quite like and do I love the trans red over quilted maple finish.
It's missing the "TRB" motif off of the headstock but I guess that's just to show it's a "lower end" model...If you could call it that.

All in all, I think the 1000 series are great basses in their own right. There's a reason they have a different numerical name. :-P

...And I can't upload pics atm it seems so I shall get back to that, along with my other Yammies. :-)
[/quote]

I've been interested to know how these 1000 series TRBs compare and they sound pretty good to me, how much do they go for S/H? I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to collect TRBs now because I love them that much! My excuse is that I always need a back up... And a backup of a back up ;) I'm also going through the same phase with the BB models as well (Damn you Yamaha stop making good basses!).

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1354691019' post='1889100']
I've been interested to know how these 1000 series TRBs compare and they sound pretty good to me, how much do they go for S/H? I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to collect TRBs now because I love them that much! My excuse is that I always need a back up... And a backup of a back up ;) I'm also going through the same phase with the BB models as well (Damn you Yamaha stop making good basses!).
[/quote]

Hmmm, it's pretty damn hard to put into words and as current I still do not have any video's up or recordings with it.
I got it, I guess with the excuse of a "back up" but I'm using it more atm. It goes side by side with my TRB6II fine though, they both sit in the band mix fine.
I'd say the TRB1006 still has that aggressive tone I like, and with new ProSteel strings on, popping will sheer your ears off until they simmer down a bit.
The pre-amp seems to have more punt, same 9-volt but turning them puts more gain than the TRB6II. Also, it has centre indents you can actually feel haha, so retuning to flat is much MUCH easier.

The neck is still quite "chunky", but it's a little flatter compared to the roundedness of the TRB6II. Not to use lettered shapes too much but it feels more like a D than a C.
The build is extremely high, seems to use a very similar bridge. Pickups look the same, though not sure of the internals. Visually the load out looks the same, so your right hand won't feel any difference. Spacing is 17mm instead of 18mm, so slightly closer but a welcome edition; means there's an actual difference between them.
Has the same inlays as the BB series as well, which is nice. Oh and the flamed maple top is delicious!
Body is still quite large but the top horn is shaped a bit different, more like the higher end RBX's. There's a cut-away on the bottom horn as well but I think it's mainly aesthetic because as any TRB user will know; you can't reach up to those easily because of the HUGE heel join. X-D

My TRB6II was set up at The Gallery before I bought it and the huge neck means it never moves, so I've never had to adjust it.
Not sure if the frets were re-done (the varnish was sanded off the neck and waxed, giving a less sticky feel) so can't actually say about it's original build but Japanese built I'm sure it was near perfect, if not.
The TRB1006 is close, but there's a couple of frets, the 3rd on the B-string and 4th on the G-string that buzz a little more than normal. Still frets but I'm gonna get them sorted by a pro soon. I'm being honest in that fault but before the hate may come on these Korean built basses, compared to other brands it's a minor niggle, and may only be on mine.
They aren't glued in, unlike my TRB6II, but that's to be expected. Weather could lift them but again, huge neck doesn't move.
I have the action low, but it's 5mm off of the frets instead of the 2mm my TRB6II has, understand that's crazy low though! 5mm is still lower than most.

As for opinion, the band loves the way it sounds. There is a difference, it's slightly darker, but other than when solo'd it's hard to tell which I'm playing.
I think the TRB6II has more "girth" to the note, but then...Ah tone is hard to explain.
It can be really velvet when you play the higher strings, slap or tap with it. It sounds and feels high end, defo no cheap bass and if anyone saw it they wouldn't think it cheap either.

Long story short, I've owned a perfectly built TRB6II that has played 100% faultless, even here in the UK, even when left in the band room which currently is freezing cold without the heater on.
I am currently happily playing the TRB1006, currently more so than my other because it's newer to me. So what I'm saying is; despite the way these are looked down on, I personally as a player and avid lover of all things Yamaha think it's a great quality instrument.
If you can get one, you should. They seem to sell for the same price as the TRBxII series, because they are "newer", so it'd be a tough choice. But like yourself, I got one because I wanted it for my collection and wanted to judge it by my own experience.

As said, I think they should be treated as they are; a difference part of the series. It's unfair to put them up with the others, but if you were to I'd say they ain't far off. If you want a more modern neck profile and slightly narrower spacing, these are definitely more for you than the TRBxII series.

• 1 month later...

...and here's a photo of my TRB5PII (Bubinga) that just arrived this morning from a bass shop in the UK named [i]The Gallery[/i]. I want to give a huge THANK YOU to [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/8222-chris-horton/"]Chris Horton[/url] for PMing me back with a heads-up about a previously owned TRB5PII for sale at The Gallery. :D Alex Carter, the manager at the Gallery, was a pleasure to deal with. The biggest challenge was convincing my MasterCard customer rep that, yes, I really was buying a bass from a shop in the UK. :lol: But two phone calls with them plus them calling Alex directly to confirm my purchase sorted all that out, and Alex shipped the bass out the same day (Monday afternoon his time). It arrived this morning (Wednesday) at 10:30 AM. So now my TRB5PII quest is finally over! According to the serial number it was created in December 2007.