Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Appreciation Thread!

BASainty

[quote name='tonyf' post='982033' date='Oct 8 2010, 09:19 PM']Here's my Yamaha Nathan East Signature.

It's a Mk 1 brought new around about 1994 to 1995. All original apart from the preamp. I found the original Yamaha one to be the only weak point in the otherwise stunning bass. It was replaced with a Bartolini 3 band not long after recording with it for the first time. The Yamaha preamp just seemed a bit hissy, even when flat. Once the Bartolini was in it, it was like night and day. A brilliant bass even better.

It's been my only constant, I've had so many basses come and gone but I've always hung onto this. Guess it's because it was my first "serious" instrument, all the previous basses I had seemed a bit amateur to this. I'm proud of the fact that every single dent and mark, scuff and ding, is mine. Particularly the couple of dozen cufflink dents on the upper horn where i got carried away pounding it on a new years eve gig!

Realised as I'm typing that I really should take it out more. Seem to play 4's mostly with a pick nowadays as I'm in a rock covers band but I think there's a case for taking it out next rehearsal and getting the love back ;-)

[attachment=60918:Basses_61.jpg][attachment=60920:Basses_68.jpg][attachment=60919:Basses_65.jpg]
[attachment=60917:Basses_60.jpg][attachment=60916:Basses_54.jpg][/quote]

Lovely! - I remember seeing rumours on TalkBass about a 6 string version coming out, but it never happened IIRC. I think I would have gotten one had I have not discovered my current flock.

[quote name='dood' post='988031' date='Oct 14 2010, 01:35 PM']Lovely! - I remember seeing rumours on TalkBass about a 6 string version coming out, but it never happened IIRC. I think I would have gotten one had I have not discovered my current flock.[/quote]

Was this the BBNE2 6 string like Nathan plays currently? I asked Nathan about it at Bass Day and he said that it was always meant to go on sale to the public but it never materialised. The only BBNE2 6 strings are Nathans :) Still, the 5 string is still an awesome beast. The finish quality is staggering... about as good as it gets. Of course, it sounds great too... its one of my favourite sounding basses... but when you look in it, the preamp is quite comprehensive!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='986413' date='Oct 12 2010, 11:19 PM']I am very very VERY VERY VERY jealous that you have a Super BB!
I wish I could afford one I want one so badly!
What are they like to play? Are they worth the money?[/quote]

In answer to your question, yes they are very very VERY VERY VERY good indeed. So much so that I just had to have a fiver too. Epic 34" 5-string, ultra resonant and it has the best J pickup on the planet, it is huge.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='988228' date='Oct 14 2010, 05:51 PM']Was this the BBNE2 6 string like Nathan plays currently? I asked Nathan about it at Bass Day and he said that it was always meant to go on sale to the public but it never materialised. The only BBNE2 6 strings are Nathans :) Still, the 5 string is still an awesome beast. The finish quality is staggering... about as good as it gets. Of course, it sounds great too... its one of my favourite sounding basses... but when you look in it, the preamp is quite comprehensive![/quote]

Ooooh! I didn't know that! Thanks, I'll go have a search for some pics! I only ever saw him with a TRB. I just noticed I typed IIRC instead of AFAIK too in my post! doh!

[quote name='Sean' post='998586' date='Oct 24 2010, 01:40 AM']In answer to your question, yes they are very very VERY VERY VERY good indeed. So much so that I just had to have a fiver too. Epic 34" 5-string, ultra resonant and it has the best J pickup on the planet, it is huge.

[/quote]
Gorgeous! Are you bringing it to the SE Bash next month Sean?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1207913' date='Apr 22 2011, 09:01 AM']Quality stuff - I've become a big Yammy fan of late - here's my contribution, a TRB6 JPII[/quote]

It was you that made me think twice about Yamahas Al! I've got to admit, I've fallen quite in love with my BB424 now! Really meaty, especially compared to my jazz.

That TRB is possibly the nicest I've ever seen!