Why become a member? ×

G&L in UK

D-COOPER

Hi folks.Im really interested in buying a custom l2500 and was wondering if anyone can recommend the best UK dealer to order through?Iv looked at the G&L website but only one dealer is listed.Has anyone had experience with ordering a G&L before?Also it would be great to see some pics of fancy G&L's as well!!Cheers.

It's a bit of a famine in the UK, I'm afraid. Even looking for a Tribute, I was told: "we get what we're given". Buying direct from the States, or flying over there and bringing one back is probably the best solution. You can have a holdiay on the money you save.

Otherwise, there's a [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10595"]L1505[/url] and a nice red [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10714"]L2500[/url] on this site if you want so save yourself the hassle!

EDIT: just seen your other questions about taxes. Add 20% to the total cost of the bass [u]and[/u] shipping and that should give you an idea of what UK customs will want.

Edited by stingrayfan

Depending what spec you want, but the [url="http://badassbassplayers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7777&sid=a4bbc978727fe95b7e7cc835000921d2"]Badassbassplayers forum is currently running a L2500 LE order[/url]. Blackburst with solid black headstock, plus no dot rosewood, maple or fretless ebony fretboard options.

Will look like this but in 5 string:

Edited by RichardH

Thanks Stingrayfan.I really want a new L2500 with some custom list options.I contacted the UK distributer but got no reply.I sent an email to Guitaradoptions who seem to have loads of G&L's in stock.They said i could order a new bass through them no problem but to expect a $350 shipping charge and then VAT when it arrives.With the pound so strong at the moment i think this could be the best plan.

[quote name='D-COOPER' post='115550' date='Jan 7 2008, 03:49 PM']They said i could order a new bass through them no problem but to expect a $350 shipping charge and then VAT when it arrives.[/quote]
$350's a bit steep. And they'll be shipping tax on top of that. Might be cheaper to get a return flight to Illinois (where the company says it's based) and pickup yourself. If you're lucky, you won't get stopped at customs in the UK.

Edit: you're right, they've got some lovely G&Ls on that site. Had to cross my legs. :)

Edited by stingrayfan

Speak to Gary at Sounds Great in Manchester. They deal in G&L although mostly guitars not basses when I was looking at ordering mine Gary was very helpful. I was told that you need to order a G&L as they are made to order not carried in stock even at the factory.

BIGd

Going back to the Badass stuff, the guy organising that LE run is Matt from [url="http://guitarmannyc.com/"]Guitar Man[/url]. He is a G&L dealer in New York, and worked directly with G&L to spec it up, so I would imagine he has a good relationship with them. It may be worth getting in touch with him re a custom order. He's been doing some good deals for BABP members, so it may be worth joining the forum anyway - and the [url="http://badassbassplayers.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=48"]G&L forum[/url] on there is full of knowledgable people - reason in itself to join.

P.S. I enquired about the last remaining L2000 LE (before it sold), and IIRC Matt quoted $150 shipping to the UK in hard case.

Edited by RichardH

[quote name='RichardH' post='115546' date='Jan 7 2008, 03:47 PM']Depending what spec you want, but the [url="http://badassbassplayers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7777&sid=a4bbc978727fe95b7e7cc835000921d2"]Badassbassplayers forum is currently running a L2500 LE order[/url]. Blackburst with solid black headstock, plus no dot rosewood, maple or fretless ebony fretboard options.

Will look like this but in 5 string:

(the above L2000 LE had ebony board - no longer available apart from on unlined fretless though now).[/quote]

Just corrected the code so we can see the pic.

You wont regret getting one--theyre great basses and extremely well made. That LE looks great--problem with shipping over here is Customs/VAT--its about20/25% of price plus shipping and although euro is strong to dollar its still pricey. I got my L2000 thru small ads from a guy who stated hed brought in in from Germany---theres only one dealer over here that deals in them and last I saw had a meagre 1 in stock.

I actually already have an El Toro from the late 80's but its been neglected over the years in favour of a couple of "boutique" basses.I played it again recently and realised just how good the bass is.The bass control is more powerful than my other two basses combined and it just feels RIGHT!!

Cheers for that code fix - I tried to do it myslef, but the forum died - I had a nasty feeling I was the one who caused it for a moment - when it came back up it looked like my image wasn't in there - all sorted now though!

There's one of those L2000 LEs up for sale in Europe at the moment - I'm toying with the idea of selling my '97 red swirl and getting the LE instead.

Here's my bass:

I ought to just stick with what I've got, I guess.

Edited by RichardH

[quote name='D-COOPER' post='116077' date='Jan 8 2008, 09:51 AM']I actually already have an El Toro from the late 80's but its been neglected over the years in favour of a couple of "boutique" basses.I played it again recently and realised just how good the bass is.The bass control is more powerful than my other two basses combined and it just feels RIGHT!![/quote]
I've not really touched my Stingray since getting my L2000s. And they're only Tributes!

• 7 months later...

[quote name='mistahbenn' post='271379' date='Aug 27 2008, 10:25 PM']I got serious GAS for an L2500 now! Cant decide what colour to go for but am gonna get one made, with a flame top, RW board, but just gotta decide on colour, I really like these 2 so far...[/quote]

thats a cracking looking pair of 5s. hows about a plain old burst? (not mine - I wish)

you thinking of any other options? (gun oil tint neck,matching headstock etc)

it might also be worth checking if you can get the single coil option on the L2500 :)

I'm sure it will be a fantastic bass whatever you go with

Edited by dub_junkie

Dub - is that honeyburst?

Im thinking of having binding, prob not matching headstock, and normal Pickups for that full sound. The factory have a blueburst and a sunburst with binding in right now, but I think I can wait the 8 - 12 weeks for one to be made...

What ultimate G&L would you go for then?

What’s the story about the older G&L Tribute basses having “Tribute” in large capital letters on the headstock and bridge, but the newer ones only having “G&L”? Are there any fundamental differences with the older Tribute basses compared to the newer ones that have made G&L want to play down the “Tribute” badges on the newer basses?

I might be able to find some pics through google if people don’t get what I’m on about…