Why become a member? ×

James Taylor and Carole King

squire5

Anyone watching this?Some nice tracks from them both.Lee Sklar is on bass and he's using what looks like a battered old Precision,covered with graffiti and sporting 2 Precision type pickups.He's sounding great as per usual.He played some great bass on Taylor's albums early on,especially 'You've got a Friend' and 'Carolina in my Mind' to name but two.
The BBC is doing us musos proud tonight. :)

[quote name='squire5' post='974727' date='Oct 1 2010, 11:33 PM']Anyone watching this?Some nice tracks from them both.Lee Sklar is on bass and he's using what looks like a battered old Precision,covered with graffiti and sporting 2 Precision type pickups.He's sounding great as per usual.He played some great bass on Taylor's albums early on,especially 'You've got a Friend' and 'Carolina in my Mind' to name but two.
The BBC is doing us musos proud tonight. :)[/quote]

James Taylor is the man, talented beyond measure! Leland Sklar is sick too, that would be his Franken-bass of no particular brand if I'm not mistaken. I saw him a few years ago, Steve Jordan on kit and Jimmy Johnson on bass and it was too good.

Damn, missed that. Huge fan of James Taylor, Carole King & Lee Sklar. Great tunes that all stand the test of time, played really well. Most of her stuff is really do-able on just an acoustic guitar too. Really works well.

Bit cheesy for some on here but "How sweet it is etc" with Sanborn on the solo is one of my fave tracks.

I thought I caught a glimpse of a 'Fender' logo but I may have been mistaken.Taylor's some kid though,I've been listening and watching him for many years now.Read a couple books about him too.He had an 'eventful' life,let's say,a lot of which was not good,on a personal level,for him.But,hey,he's fine now!
I love his music and the sound he achieves on record,and live too,is mainly due to the balance of his guitar sound,the bass player's sound,mainly Jimmy Johnson now,and his voice.

It must be good to have a bass that you can read when you're bored :)

Edited by squire5

Yeah, it was a good night on BBC Four; I watched the other singer-songwriter programmes too. Great stuff.
Loudon Wainwright III is always good for a chuckle too...
(e.g., shouts to audience: "Put your hands together! No - don't clap...!!" :) )

Just watched the James Taylor thing again.Maybe it's just me,but did anyone else get the impression that she was more into him than he was her.I got the distinct air of aloofness on Taylors part.She looked at him like a lovesick teenager all night,but he hardly glanced at her at all,and when he did,there was precious little love or admiration there.Even on the very last number,when he finished playing,he got up and went to put his guitar on it's stand and barely glanced at her.I wonder why.......?

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='974745' date='Oct 1 2010, 11:41 PM']Hmm, we're watching it too, and admiring Mr Sklar's splendid beard, but our TV makes the bass pretty much inaudible.[/quote]
Not your TV just not a bass friendly mix. I turned on my very bass centric stereo to listen to it and it made no difference to Lee's level. I want that beard though!! Apparently, according to the man himself, he hasn't been clean shaven since high school.

A nice enough gig, but Carole King's voice is shot these days and you can only hear that James Taylor hammer on/pull off so many time before it becomes a cliche. Having said that it was still better than any of the other music progs of late.

Just watching this now. I love Carole King and actually quite like the way her voice has broken up over the years - seems to have added an even more plaintive edge to her slower, more emotional, songs. Doesn't work as well on the more up tempo songs though :)

JT has kinda grown on me over the years but he does grate on me a little after a while. Whilst I like Lee Sklar as a player I prefer to hear Jimmy Johnson with JT.

I've been watching out for interplay between the two of them and there does seem to be some contact from JT, just feels like he's a bit more reserved that CK to me.