Why become a member? ×

Fretless Players - What's the best?

bassatnight

How long is a piece of string?

My Aria Pro II SB-R150, custom fitted with an unlined ebony touchboard and Alembix AXY pickups and tone circuit, is as close to perfection as I've had. Fretless basses that have passed through my hands have included CLF (designs for Fender, MusicMan and G&L), Wal, Pedulla, Goodfellow, Tyler, Jaydee, Kubicki, Status, Warwick, Sadowsky, and Yamaha.

Strings make a huge difference, I use black nylon wound some like the ebony board/rounwound combo, there must be those who favour regular flats.
It might be worth getting a cheap bass de-fretting it and experiment with string types even pickups to narrow your options before you splash out on something special.

As has been said it's horses for courses. My defretted MM SUB floats my boat nicely YMMV. If your asking what's the most expensive, then a quick trawl through the boutique luthiers price lists will get you an answer.

It's really only a question that you can answer, by trying as many fretless basses as you can.

All that's going to happen if you post a question like this is that people will chime in with what their favourite fretless bass is. i would sooner give up music completely than have to play some of the basses mentioned in previous posts - that doesn't mean those basses are bad just that they don't suit me.

Is this a serious question to try and find the best fretless bass for you or are you just "tyre kicking"? If it's the former, post back with the maximum you're prepared to spend and I'll make some recommendations for instruments you should at least try before you part with your money on anything.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Bilbo' post='973630' date='Oct 1 2010, 09:54 AM']Mine is the best one that money [b]can't[/b] buy......:lol:[/quote]

Yep. Has to be a Wal.
I PX'd my fretless Wal in a moment of madness...& have been traumatised by the memory for the last 20 years.
:)