Why become a member? ×

Picking up a DB on Saturday

waynepunkdude

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='975411' date='Oct 2 2010, 08:57 PM']Don't you have a tuner on your phone Wayne? That's what I use to tune my DB.[/quote]

No mate but I did find that the DTR-2000 didn't work but my trusty £3 Qwik Tune did. WINNER

There is something a wrong with the 'A' at the bridge but I'll worry about that another time, I'm enjoying playing the damn thing.

Yeah the only thing that bothered me when I got mine was that I didn't have the stamina to play it as much as I wanted to, I had to build up to it over the first month or two. I still can't walk past it without playing it. I've got it leaning in a corner of the dining room so whenever I'm waiting for something in the kitchen (kettle to boil, pan of pasta to cook, etc.) I can have a bash. :)

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='975452' date='Oct 2 2010, 09:55 PM']Yeah the only thing that bothered me when I got mine was that I didn't have the stamina to play it as much as I wanted to, I had to build up to it over the first month or two. I still can't walk past it without playing it. I've got it leaning in a corner of the dining room so whenever I'm waiting for something in the kitchen (kettle to boil, pan of pasta to cook, etc.) I can have a bash. :)[/quote]

I wanted to keep it downstairs but the missus was very insistent that it be moved to the bass room. :lol:

I can now play 'Smooth Criminal' on it, not the trickiest but it's a start.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='975466' date='Oct 2 2010, 10:05 PM']Oh, top tune to learn since it has a lot of open strings and steady tempo: Time bomb. :)

Also, in the ska vein: Dandy Livingstone's original 'Rudy', Drop The Ratchet, Stupid Marriage (all can be based around open strings), Racist Friend, Ghost Town...[/quote]

I already know Time Bomb so it'd be a gooden to try but your right about the tiredness I'm going to leave it till tomorrow.

The first thing i figured out was johnny cash - walk the line. Open, 1st and 3rd "frets".
No offence but playing punk on a double bass just seems wrong, they're made to be slapped! :)

edit: and bowed. I'm no good at it but it's ace!

Edited by JoshJ

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='975749' date='Oct 3 2010, 09:53 AM']I give you Punk on the DB[/quote]
Yuck... I downloaded a Living End album a while ago thinking it was psychobilly and was sorely disappointed.

I'm not trying to put the double bass in a box (case?), obviously you can do whatever you want with them but this is how they're meant to be played IMO:

Edited by JoshJ

[quote name='blackmn90' post='976326' date='Oct 3 2010, 07:28 PM']Just knock the bridge up a bit, sorted out the action on my DB :)[/quote]

I think I've worked out that the core has gone in the string, I'll get a replacement tomorrow but playing it is amazing, what an instrument and so physically exhausting.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='976361' date='Oct 3 2010, 08:02 PM']I think I've worked out that the core has gone in the string, I'll get a replacement tomorrow but playing it is amazing, what an instrument and so physically exhausting.[/quote]

are you playing with a bow? its the mental strength to remember how to use the blummin thing that shatters me :) But OMG it sounds awsome, even for a cheep chinese! Hopefuly it is just the string, it looks very nice

[quote name='blackmn90' post='976594' date='Oct 3 2010, 11:53 PM']are you playing with a bow? its the mental strength to remember how to use the blummin thing that shatters me :) But OMG it sounds awsome, even for a cheep chinese! Hopefuly it is just the string, it looks very nice[/quote]

No, adding another implement will just confuse matters.

Any cheap pick up recommendations?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='977537' date='Oct 4 2010, 07:37 PM']Any cheap pick up recommendations?[/quote]

Hi,

How about [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=103749"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=103749[/url]?

I use one and it's not bad.

I picked up a Shadow p/u on BassChat and seems to work well (similar to an Underwood, they squeeze into the wings of the bridge).

FYI, just had a lesson with jakesbass. Highly recommended if you can sort out the distances involved (he's in Surrey and I know you're nr Canterbury). My left hand postioning and plucking technique was pants beforehand and already sounds massively better (much more volume) and more precise.

[quote name='Clarky' post='977739' date='Oct 4 2010, 10:03 PM']FYI, just had a lesson with jakesbass. Highly recommended if you can sort out the distances involved (he's in Surrey and I know you're nr Canterbury).[/quote]

Wayne. why don't we send your helicopter to collect Jake and bring him to Canters for a few lessons?

C