Why become a member? ×

Epiphone Goth Thunderbird

Delberthot

Aafter 15 days, my latest purchase arrived from the US, complete with Hipshot Supertone bridge already fitted.

I decided that before i do anything else, I am going to make a couple of changes.

The first was to move the strap button to the heel of the neck.

The other thing will become apparent :brow:

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' post='972051' date='Sep 29 2010, 08:12 PM']Looking good mate - those hipshot bridges are the nuts, i'm going to get one for my Jack casady bass if it's bridge gives me any trouble.[/quote]

That'll be an interesting exercise with the carved top... agreed about the Supertone bridge being outstanding though.

[quote name='neepheid' post='972104' date='Sep 29 2010, 09:29 PM']That'll be an interesting exercise with the carved top... agreed about the Supertone bridge being outstanding though.[/quote]

Nah it's no problem.... I contacted the fellas at Hipshot and they sent me a few photos of a JC bass with said bridge on it and explained how they put it on..

mmmm got an idea for the repairs and tech area thread.

I've decided against getting myself a Gibson, especially since the cheapest I can find a new black T-Bird is £1150, I'm not a fan of neck through basses and I don't like the strap button on the back of the body so I am going to make a couple of subtle changes such as changing the tuners for Gotoh GB7s and trying to find a set of Gibson Thunderbird or Les Paul pickups.

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' post='972680' date='Sep 30 2010, 01:53 PM']Nah it's no problem.... I contacted the fellas at Hipshot and they sent me a few photos of a JC bass with said bridge on it and explained how they put it on..

mmmm got an idea for the repairs and tech area thread.[/quote]

ooh - do tell !

Looks smart, but why change the pups? My Alpine white Epi TB had a monstrous tone totally stock. I like you intended to upgrade the pups on mine before I even bought it, until a friend told me to leave it and gig it a couple of times first, he assured me the stock pickups were more than up to the job. He was right. I never did upgrade a single thing on that bass, it was just fantastic as it was out of the box. Beautiful fretboard too. In fact I preferred it to a Gibson TB I tried a while later.

Having had a really, realy, really good look around at what's available and reading reviews on them all, the Mike Lull ones are the best but I could buy another 2 or 3 of these brand new for that price so I'm going to keep it standard and just add some small touches to it as I go.

Ive had an Epi TBird for years, its totally standard apart from the stickers scuffs and dents, ive been using it again recently for recording bits and bobs with and its really giving me the horn again, The only problem ive had with it is when ive been forced to stand too close to a stack at gigs and ive had a bit of feedback whistling.
Apart from that its been a real workhorse....really works well using the butt of it to hammer the drummers ride cymbal too, oh and as a battle axe to keep him from killing you afterwards! :)

• 1 year later...

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' timestamp='1285851236' post='972680']
I contacted the fellas at Hipshot and they sent me a few photos of a JC bass with said bridge on it and explained how they put it on..
[/quote]

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but what did the guys @ Hipshot say you needed to do Hooky?