Why become a member? ×

Hey there

Neko

Hey, I'm a total newbie to all this! Been leaning bass for all of maybe a month now, moved on from acoustic because all I ever really wanted to do was play bass (and chords got REALLY boring...)

Anyway, I have a Squier P-bass (she's lovelyyyyy :) ) and a 15W Ashdown amp, since at the moment I pretty much only play to myself and I don't think the neighbours would be too happy if I was rattling their windows! As I'm really new to this, I've not got much of a musical repertoire, but I like to play rock and alt stuff. I'm also a total geek as I'm learning the Tetris theme right now!! :)

I've been told I'm 'too old' to start learning bass (I'm 24) with the idea of eventually playing little gigs with my own band and that I need to 'grow up'. I decided to join here because I'm looking for less negative conversations about bass :)

I really am rubbish at these intro things and don't know what else to put now! So hi, that's me, be nice and I'm sorry if I get confused at all :lol:

Welcome to Basschat.

Yr certainly not too old to start doing something that you enjoy. It seems that people who don`t play an instrument hear someone say they want to start, and say/think "you want to be a famous rockstar then?". They then add, to anyone over 20 "and yr too old".

This is their failing, not yrs. Carry on, learn the instrument, and have fun with it. Play in bands and have all the highs of gigging to packed audiences, and the lows of getting £20 between 5 of you for that gig that was 100 miles away, to 3 people and a dog.

There are many experiences that can be had by playing an instrument, don`t let the detractors put you off. This website is a good indication of how playing bass has improved peoples lives (may sound melo-dramatic, but sure its true).

Welcome, and don't believe the negative crap. You go for it.

Maybe get a good teacher to speed things up for you and give you confidence. I wish I'd done that early on.

Believe me, 24 looks plenty young from where many of us are standing :)

Edited by fatback

Wow, thank you to everyone, you're all so kind :) hopefully I'll be able to stop lurking soon and actually contribute to some meaningful discussion here!

I'm glad I'm not too old, I love music so much! All I've ever wanted to do was play for the enjoyment of other people :lol:

[quote name='fatback' post='975277' date='Oct 2 2010, 06:36 PM']Maybe get a good teacher to speed things up for you and give you confidence. I wish I'd done that early on.[/quote]

I've got the most amazing teacher, he's so entusiastic about music in general!! He knows his stuff, but also knows how to make the lessons really fun, where all teachers I've come across before have been pretty boring and only like to work from books!! I get to go at my own pace (which is apparently faster than is normal...I THINK that's a good thing...) and play stuff that interests me. Also, he spurs me on, telling me I'm doing really well and stuff. He's keeping an eye out for people around my ability so that I'll be able to see what it's like to play in a band environment ^^

I agree with you so totally and completely about getting a teacher, though I keep getting told it's a waste of money, I should sit and work it out on my own (bleh), all by other guitarists and bass players! So much negative thought around me! But yeah, I'd recommend it to anyone :)

[quote name='fatback' post='975277' date='Oct 2 2010, 06:36 PM']Believe me, 24 looks plenty young from where many of us are standing :)[/quote]

Ain't that the truth!

Welcome Neko. Whoever told you to grow up is obviously dead inside, I think I can say the the whole of BC has two words for them, the second one being "off". Enjoy the forum and get ready to lust after more gear (it's almost obligatory :lol:)

[quote name='Neko' post='969267' date='Sep 27 2010, 11:17 AM']Hey, I'm a total newbie to all this! Been leaning bass for all of maybe a month now, moved on from acoustic because all I ever really wanted to do was play bass (and chords got REALLY boring...)

Anyway, I have a Squier P-bass (she's lovelyyyyy :) ) and a 15W Ashdown amp, since at the moment I pretty much only play to myself and I don't think the neighbours would be too happy if I was rattling their windows! As I'm really new to this, I've not got much of a musical repertoire, but I like to play rock and alt stuff. I'm also a total geek as I'm learning the Tetris theme right now!! :D

I've been told I'm 'too old' to start learning bass (I'm 24) with the idea of eventually playing little gigs with my own band and that I need to 'grow up'. I decided to join here because I'm looking for less negative conversations about bass :lol:

I really am rubbish at these intro things and don't know what else to put now! So hi, that's me, be nice and I'm sorry if I get confused at all :)[/quote]
Who ever told you you are too old at 24 was talking out of his or her JACKSIE.......................FACT.....I played Drums from 6 to 19....lead & rhythm from 14 to 42 and bass from mid 30s till today some 20+ years on...I taught my Son Dan who is an acomplished Musician and Im currently teaching my Grandaughters....like Phil Lynot once said..." Dont beleive a word"
Crack on son enjoy it your half way there

MrT....the short white one :)