Why become a member? ×

Strap Screw lost off of its bite :(

civictiger

Hey guys..
I use Jim Dunlop strap locks, rather than the custom buttoms, and now the screw on the bottom of the bass has lost ALL of its bite, I regret using them SO much..
it wasnt until my friend told me to put the strap under the buttons that come with the bass and then screw the buttons over the strap so its screwed on that I feel even worse.. Im gonna have to now drill a longer hole than what it is stocked for :)
very upset!!

does ANYONE know of an alternative? I really dont want to drill a longer hole in and get a longer screw, incase it again looses its bite and then im back to square one..
another reason is cause I treat this bass well and I dont really want to 'modify' it in any way.. its my first professional bass and its a rare one too so I dont wanna change its value to me!

That might get you into trouble if you ever need to take them out again.^ [b]edit : I was replying to College.[/b]

One of the easiest fixes is to pop a matchstick or toothpick in the hole and then send your screw home. You could accompany the matchstick with a bit of wood glue but leave it overnight before putting the screw back in.

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='civictiger' post='968699' date='Sep 26 2010, 06:59 PM']would I have to cut the match-stick up? I am really really not a wood type of person![/quote]

Nah!

Stick the match in the hole, snap the remainder off, and you're done. It this still isn't sufficient to grip the screw, repeat again with another match.

Jennifer

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='968847' date='Sep 26 2010, 09:24 PM']Cocktail sticks are hard wood, some of them and glue is my favoured,[/quote]
+1

A bit of wood glue in the hole, insert as many cocktail sticks as you can by hand, rolling each one in the glue, then gently tap in another one, maybe two, with a small hammer. Leave overnight and cut off the protruding sticks in the morning. Good as new - well, for a new screwhole anyway.

Just as a sort of reverse reply, the button screw came loose in my bass and I found out it was due to the longer button plus bit on the strap of the strap lock touching the floor when I put the bass on its stand. The weight of the bass being plomped straight down on the button when I thought it was onto the body on the rubberised arms of the stand. Might be worth a check if you have one of those collapsable stands like me.

I had an Ibanez bass in for a setup last week. The owner had bought it for a song and wanted it setup before a gig at the weekend.

However, I found a problem with the strap button. This is what can happen if you the matchstick/cocktail stick fix without gluing it :)

I drilled the strap button hole out to 3/16" for a piece of dowel. One end of the dowel is shaped into a blunt nose and the sides have small slits in them so the glue can squeeze out. I then hammered it in flush and use a punch to push it in fraction more. I left that overnight then drilled a small pilot hole before drilling a larger hole to accept the strap button screw.

Edited by 7string

thanks for all the replies guys :)

I just used 3 cocktail sticks soaked with wood glue and shoved it in, its now gonna leave to dry til arounf 1pm tomorrow :lol:

the glue is around 10 years odl but I hope its still effective!!!
I also am going to put my strap over the hole and THEN screw the strap buttons on.
my guitarist does this rather than use strap locks, its a much more effective method.

since straplocks like 'come out' a bit in length over the bass, it means the weight is being held away from the bass, not next to it, so its much more strong and efficient.
i'd recommend every doing it, really.

free straplocks for all!