Why become a member? ×

NYC Sadowsky at Guitar Guitar!!!

CHRISDABASS

[quote name='Mark Latimour' post='965496' date='Sep 23 2010, 12:32 PM']As I said, I didn't take issue with the rest of your post, I just used your opening line as an example. If that wasn't stated clear enough for you, I apologise, but I am not sure how much more clearly I could have stated it. As for me being a Sadowsky fan, to be honest I rarely play my Sadowsky at the moment, I prefer my other basses based on what I am playing at present. I think of myself more as an "anti-internet sillyness" fan rather than a Sadowsky fan. Its just you seem to see a lot of coincidence of internet sillyness in threads about basses like Sadowsky, Fodera, Ritter etc.[/quote]

My reasoning for not enjoying Sadowskys as basses is purely personal, but you used the first line of my post to display an attitude of a few posters that you didn't like, or as you described it, 'silly'. What's silly about it? You might disagree that people have taken exception to Sadowskys being criticised, but there were a lot of people who definitely were in this post and got defensive about it very quickly.

[quote]If this is directed at me its just a straw man. I never said that.[/quote]

Not directed at you, rather another poster earlier on who said this:

[quote]This thread is hilarious. A bunch of people who don't own Sadowsky basses telling those who do and gig them regularly that they're poor sounding basses.[/quote]

Snobbish and condescending, also proof that people are taking criticism of a totally the wrong way. It's the problem with Sadowskys. I don't like them but that's just me, I'm sure people like Will Lee or Rickey Minor would disagree with me and I trust they know what they're talking about, but Sadowsky's suffer from internet hype and being the current trend which suddenly makes them immune to criticism on boards like this. Sorry, but having tried in excess of 5-6 Sadowskys now and now liking a single one then I'm as entitled to an opinion as anyone.

How could i ever be upset about being lucky enough to own what i consider to be absolutely cracking basses!?!

I couldn't give a monkey's what anyone else thinks! im happy! :)

If they're not for you dont waste your time trying to tell others how they're not worth it etc

If you love something your naturally gonna spread the word about it right?? just in case even the smallest percentage of fellow players agree with you and find their perfect instrument :rolleyes:

:lol:

How could i ever be upset about being lucky enough to own what i consider to be absolutely cracking basses!?!

I couldn't give a monkey's what anyone else thinks! im happy! :)

If they're not for you dont waste your time trying to tell others how they're not worth it etc

If you love something your naturally gonna spread the word about it right?? just in case even the smallest percentage of fellow players agree with you and find their perfect instrument :rolleyes:

:lol:

As for the internet "fad" talk, Sadowsky's were "trending" on alt.guitar.bass in 1996 when I first started to post on there. That's over 13 years ago. I used to post with my name so if anyone doubts it you can seach for the posts. Even then I remember Roger actively participating in discussions about his basses (again people complaining they were overpriced parts assembled jazz basses). Since 1997 then I have never seen them be "out of fashion" as a choice for bass guitars amoung fans of the modern jazz bass. So yeah, you can call it a fad or internet hype, why not? But given they have been consistently invouge on the internet for at 13 years and even longer in the professional bass community, it does make me wonder when this "fad" will end. LOL.

Edited by Mark Latimour

So that's it then, Sadowsky once again remains immune to any detractors or any possibility that they are less than perfect :) I'm a fan of modern Jazz basses, but not Sadowsky, the sound let me down significantly every time. However, I wouldn't profess to tell people how to spend their money and I am in total agreement that if you like a product enough then of course whatever the asking price, it is a justified purchase. My opinion is that the asking price is too much for the product itself, and that you're paying a lot more for a brand as opposed to anything else. Sorry if it's not a popular opinion but it is my opinion.

[quote name='risingson' post='965581' date='Sep 23 2010, 01:43 PM']So that's it then, Sadowsky once again remains immune to any detractors or any possibility that they are less than perfect :) I'm a fan of modern Jazz basses, but not Sadowsky, the sound let me down significantly every time. However, I wouldn't profess to tell people how to spend their money and I am in total agreement that if you like a product enough then of course whatever the asking price, it is a justified purchase. My opinion is that the asking price is too much for the product itself, and that you're paying a lot more for a brand as opposed to anything else. Sorry if it's not a popular opinion but it is my opinion.[/quote]

I think your opinion is entirely valid, as is mine and I don't really give much of a stuff if people take exception about my expressed opinion.
I don't mind people having their own and I am pleased for them if they have a bass that they enjoy and even love. That is most people's goal. It is not as though we are even talking about woefully hypep up gear, by all accounts no one says they aren't well-made..although I do remember a paint job so dissappointing, that I can't believe it came out of a decent spray shop like that. From that POV, I'd accept that wasn't the norm and may not even have been an original job. But I never got on with the vintage playability of that one either, too blocky, but since it was about 1994 or thereabouts when I played it, it was probably made for someone to be like that feel-wise. The sound was getting there at that time tho..with that one.

But ..........to take exception at a post with a curt one-liner ..well, I could have suggested that poster take a leaf out of his own book and think somewhat before he buys some of the hi-end gear that he ends up trying to sell a few months later...

I have no problem with someone saying, hey, I use that gear and I don't think that is the case and so there are for and against posts etc and then that way we just agree to disagree.

[quote name='Mark Latimour' post='965615' date='Sep 23 2010, 02:11 PM']Hyperbole FTW.[/quote]

Hardly. You only have to take one look at a Talkbass post on Sadowskys to notice any criticism of current trending or popular brands is taken badly, and I do think this thread has become a pretty classic example of this.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='965645' date='Sep 23 2010, 02:40 PM']Im finding this thread rather entertaining :)

I love some good old banter :rolleyes:

At the end of the day folks try before you buy and only buy what YOU like :lol: be it a £100 squire or a £6000 Fodera, who cares?

What matters is that you find something that inspires you to play :o[/quote]

I completely 100% agree with this, hopefully this has been clear in what I've posted.

[quote name='risingson' post='965646' date='Sep 23 2010, 02:41 PM']Hardly. You only have to take one look at a Talkbass post on Sadowskys to notice any criticism of current trending or popular brands is taken badly, and I do think this thread has become a pretty classic example of this.[/quote]

I'm not convinced you know what "hyperbole" is. :)

Here's the last major "blowup" thread on Sadowskys on TB.....TBH I don't really see your point: [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=687759"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=687759[/url]

[quote name='Mark Latimour' post='965655' date='Sep 23 2010, 02:52 PM']I'm not convinced you know what "hyperbole" is. :)

Here's the last major "blowup" thread on Sadowskys on TB.....TBH I don't really see your point: [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=687759"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=687759[/url][/quote]

You're good at the patronising thing aren't ya? You've been doing it all thread and it's not particularly endearing. Done arguing though, I think I've made my point and I don't think you've understood it.

[quote name='risingson' post='965671' date='Sep 23 2010, 03:04 PM']You're good at the patronising thing aren't ya? You've been doing it all thread and it's not particularly endearing.[/quote]

If you say so. Ironically, now I think you don't know what patronising is. I wasn't treating you with apparent kindness when I said I don't think you know what "hyperbole" means, I was just telling you what I thought. Patroning you would be saying something like "did you look up that big word all by yourself?". Ya dig?

[quote]Done arguing though, I think I've made my point and I don't think you've understood it.[/quote]

Don't assume that because I don't agree with all of your points that it means I don't understand them. We both clearly agree that people should buy the bass they want. We both agree that you didn't dig the Sadowsky basses you played. We disagree with your general that Sadwosky basses are some kind of untouchable sacred cow that are imune from criticism. That assertion was, IMO, hyperbole.

Edited by Mark Latimour

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='965696' date='Sep 23 2010, 03:27 PM']............ :)

i like Sadowsky's more than you do!! :brow:[/quote]

Probably - I am still thinking about selling mine. I bet that's gonna blow their minds! (okay...now that's a little patronising) <-= actually so is that! :rolleyes: LOL

Went to GuitarGuitar Birmingham a few weeks ago, tried one of the Sadowskys. Can't remember what model 5 string Jazz) it was but it was about £2500. It was a nice bass, but didn't blow me away at all - seemed very expensive for what it was. I'm sure I'd need to play it through my own rig to fully appreciate it but - I wouldn't ever consider one.

[quote name='Mark Latimour' post='965686' date='Sep 23 2010, 03:18 PM']If you say so. Ironically, now I think you don't know what patronising is.[/quote]

Haha, but you are still slightly insulting his intelligence now. Please dont get the nearest copy of the dictionary out! It does seem that you dont even realise you are doing it.

Nay mind! Group hug?!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='965719' date='Sep 23 2010, 03:47 PM']Haha, but you are still slightly insulting his intelligence now. Please dont get the nearest copy of the dictionary out! It does seem that you dont even realise you are doing it.

Nay mind! Group hug?![/quote]

Considering English was always my strongest subject I'm not in too much of a bind I don't think :) Group hug indeed!

[quote name='Machines' post='965706' date='Sep 23 2010, 03:35 PM']Went to GuitarGuitar Birmingham a few weeks ago, tried one of the Sadowskys. Can't remember what model 5 string Jazz) it was but it was about £2500. It was a nice bass, but didn't blow me away at all - seemed very expensive for what it was. I'm sure I'd need to play it through my own rig to fully appreciate it but - I wouldn't ever consider one.[/quote]

You could probably get that same bass for around £1100-£1200 second hand :) im sure that would be more appealing

Try not to focus on the new retail prices :rolleyes:

There arent many basses i'd buy new at the moment, i find most seem over priced for one reason or another :lol:

The second hand market opens up a whole new set of options all of us!:o

For £1000 i could either buy a brand new fender (or any other similar priced bass) or a used Sadowsky, for me personally the sadowsky makes more sense, but thats me :o

I was lucky enough to buy my NYC at a time when the exchange rate was in my favour, which enabled me to get a great deal compared to todays prices! (i paid £2000, today it would be more like £2700)

[quote name='Mark Latimour' post='965760' date='Sep 23 2010, 04:12 PM']When all's said and done....MTD for the win! I have two and they poop on all of your basses! (runs and hides....)[/quote]

I don't suppose this would be the right time to tell you about the bad experience I had with a MTD 535 a few months ago now would it? :)

[quote name='risingson' post='965769' date='Sep 23 2010, 04:16 PM']I don't suppose this would be the right time to tell you about the bad experience I had with a MTD 535 a few months ago now would it? :)[/quote]

Funnily enough I think more people dislike MTD than Sadowsky basses. MTD are quite player specific. Now...poop on my Ritter and I will be upset! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Mark Latimour' post='965780' date='Sep 23 2010, 04:27 PM']Funnily enough I think more people dislike MTD than Sadowsky basses. MTD are quite player specific. Now...poop on my Ritter and I will be upset! :)[/quote]

Each to their own, eh? I just wish I had the money to purchase that F-Bass BN5 I tried in NYC a few months ago, now that was a sick bass!

[quote name='Mark Latimour' post='965686' date='Sep 23 2010, 03:18 PM']We disagree with your general that Sadwosky basses are some kind of untouchable sacred cow that are imune from criticism. That assertion was, IMO, hyperbole.[/quote]

And I think I at least agree with you on that one Mark! They are of course, open to criticism! Hence I shall wade in and be honest and truthful!

They're overrated, under performing basses that are very middle of the road. They're not the best basses around, nor are they the worst. They are of course very popular, which if anything gives great insight on just how conservative bassists as a whole are, sticking with "old school" stuff like the jazz bass. Of course, they're a hit with session players, probably because session players are asked to constantly recreate a very small palette of overdone tones. I guess this is conservatism and stagnation at large in the American pop music world, which I'm sure we all agree has been in a state of relentless degradation for some time now.

Quite frankly though, if you like playing what you play, then good. It keeps the great basses on the market for me ! :)