Why become a member? ×

Sans Amp BDDI

King Tut

[quote name='Musicman20' post='961908' date='Sep 20 2010, 10:07 AM']It does, a little. It has an inherent tone, which a lot of players like. Then again, its all down to if it suits your tastes.

It does suck the mids, and give you quite a modern 'Ampeg being thrashed at hi gain' when you crank the gain, but I love it. Excellent bit of kit![/quote]

+1

I can detect a little compression when I use it. I love the sound of these.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='962160' date='Sep 20 2010, 01:49 PM']I love mine but the loss of mids is starting to bug me a little. I'm thinking I should have held out for a Tone Hammer.

And yeah, I hear a little bit of compression but it's not too pronounced.[/quote]

Wanna sell it?

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='963590' date='Sep 21 2010, 05:50 PM']Hmm, not really. Bumping the mids up on the amp helps if you go through the front end. I'll live with it for now thanks! Unless you want to swap it for a VT bass deluxe....[/quote]

No problem, doesnt hurt to ask.
If i had a VT i would swap as i had normal VT Bass and it only lasted one gig. It wasnt my cup ot tea.

I do have a Sadowsky DI/Preamp that sounds really nice but ive not found much use for it.

So far my Berhinger BDI21 seems to be the best of the bunch but i want something a bit more hard wearing.

Yeah, agree on that, the Beringer BD121 is a nice piece of kit, just wish it were made of chunky metal like the Sansamp. Still, great value item to keep in your gig-box, just in case. Also recorded through mine a few weeks ago - came out ok, needed a bit of eq-ing, but was most impressed considering the cost of it.

To the original question, I had the Sansamp a few years ago, and the sound did have slight compression to my ears, used to put it through a Trace to warm it up, which it did nicely, made the sound nice and "chunky" hence me thinking compression.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='963631' date='Sep 21 2010, 06:33 PM']Yeah, agree on that, the Beringer BD121 is a nice piece of kit, just wish it were made of chunky metal like the Sansamp. Still, great value item to keep in your gig-box, just in case. Also recorded through mine a few weeks ago - came out ok, needed a bit of eq-ing, but was most impressed considering the cost of it.[/quote]

I cant really fault it, its just never having used a BDDI i cant help wonder if getting the real deal will add a bit more magic. I could end up buying one and not hearing any difference. At about 5 times the cost of a BDI21 its a gamble.

I had a BD121 and it packed up. I think it was worth the gamble though at the price. I've had three bits of Behringer kit that either broke down or were faulty on receipt, however I've got one of their power amps that's been faultless and quite pokey to boot. Had a desk for a while, that although a bit underpowered was totally reliable!

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='963919' date='Sep 21 2010, 10:56 PM']Why not get a pre-drilled enclosure and a decent footswitch and migrate the insides of the Behringer?[/quote]

The Behringer is plastic with a metal base. In all honesty, unless there's an elephant running around on stage you're not gonna break it. I think peeps are more concerned about Behringer's reputation for unreliability.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='964061' date='Sep 22 2010, 07:42 AM']Mine just sits on top of my amp so no danger of it getting broken. I also can live without it if it packed up.
But for some reason I still want a BDDI. It just looks slot better and has more output options.[/quote]

Its definitely, IMO, a great bit of kit. Solid and plug n play.

When I started playing more gigs a few years back, EVERY bass player had one even if they didnt have other pedals. SOme used it for putting it through the amp, and some used it for DI'ing. Ive used it for both at once and it works well.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='964129' date='Sep 22 2010, 09:33 AM']Its definitely, IMO, a great bit of kit. Solid and plug n play.

When I started playing more gigs a few years back, EVERY bass player had one even if they didnt have other pedals. SOme used it for putting it through the amp, and some used it for DI'ing. Ive used it for both at once and it works well.[/quote]

I originally brought my BDI21 for just one big gig where i wasn't going to have any back line. I didnt see the point of getting a BDDI for one gig, and didn't see me using anything like this again.
It sat in a bag for about 3 years until last Christmas when i got it out to see if it was still working as i was going to chuck it away. I used it on a few gigs just for one or two songs, mainly to see if it would make my jazz sound a bit more rocky. And now i use it all the time.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='964384' date='Sep 22 2010, 12:40 PM']Keep your eyes peeled on here and on e-bay, I'd pretty much given up when I came across my pedal with a BIN of £120. It even came with it's own flight case and 9v PSU. I threw a tuner and patch cable in there and and it's not my pedalboard.[/quote]

Yeah, ive already got a wanted add and also an add to trade my Sadowsky for one.

Im sure it wont take too long. I missed out on one last week and was beaten by Clarky to it.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='964061' date='Sep 22 2010, 07:42 AM']Mine just sits on top of my amp so no danger of it getting broken. I also can live without it if it packed up.
But for some reason I still want a BDDI. It just looks slot better and has more output options.[/quote]

I too have a BDI21, and a hartke VXL, trying to get the same tone as mr Chancellor, Well yesterday I bit the bullet and bought a BDDi, and to say I am happy is an understatement. The difference between this and my other 2 pedals is huge! cant recommend it enough!

[quote name='blind pilot' post='972392' date='Sep 30 2010, 09:47 AM']I too have a BDI21, and a hartke VXL, trying to get the same tone as mr Chancellor, Well yesterday I bit the bullet and bought a BDDi, and to say I am happy is an understatement. The difference between this and my other 2 pedals is huge! cant recommend it enough![/quote]

Very timely response as im doing a lot of reading at the moment to see if its worth me getting a BDDI or Paradriver, or sticking with the BDI21.

I am tempted to go for the BDDI as i do like what im getting out of the BDI21 at the moment.

Can you comment on the difference in tone between the two?

I wouldnt worry much about the mid control. Your amp can deal with that if necessary. That Schroe cab throws out the mids anyway so youll be fine.

The BDDI is, I do believe, their biggest selling bass product because it not only gets the job done, its small and fairly well priced.

If I had the choice between BDDI and Para id go BDDI, because the inherent tone of the BDDI is that quite compressed slight mid suck 'SVT being pushed' tone. Turn the gain up and its very tube like....even just a hair is nice.

Ive used mine through countless PAs without a backline because of space when touring and because the less we took, the less problems we would run into.

Cheers Gareth.

I know you cant go wrong with the BDDI but my thinking is, if its so close the the BDI21 then it might be money wasted, where as the Paradriver is different so might be worth investigating.
Like you say, my cab is very middy anyway so its not really a problem, but i do find some notes still get lost (this D string problem again) so i dont like to loose too much midrange and was wondering if the Paradriver would be the answer.

Although the BDDI might well be their best selling product, its very old and we now have other contenders like the TH, MXR80 etc. While none of these appeal to me as much as the BDDI i have considered each of them but still keep coming back to the Sansamp gear, but this is still based on my BDI21.
I nee dot know the difference between the two before i can go forward.

I was actually going to start a thread about this mid scoop issue that keeps coming up. I cant see why people complain about it if you can just boost the mids on your amp. I know the freq the scoop is at so im going to give this a go at the next gig and see what happens.
I suppose if you only use one bass and have the BDDI on all the time then its easy to compensate for it, but if you need to use more than one bass or turn it on and off then i guess you wouldn't want to boost the mids too much on the amp.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='972406' date='Sep 30 2010, 09:56 AM']Very timely response as im doing a lot of reading at the moment to see if its worth me getting a BDDI or Paradriver, or sticking with the BDI21.

I am tempted to go for the BDDI as i do like what im getting out of the BDI21 at the moment.

Can you comment on the difference in tone between the two?[/quote]

I found the BDI21 very good, dont get me wrong and as stated previously its great for the money, and does give a good tone, but i just felt it didnt do the job for me, kind of sounding "artificial" and a bit to "digital" if that makes sense.

I play a lot of Tool stuff, and am a bit of "tone Chaser" and when i tried the Sansamp, with a p bass!, and a small solid state amp, i was literally blown away, the guy in the shop actually came over to listen, i was playing schism, and his comments were " You couldnt sound any more like Justin Chancellor if you tried"

That sold it for me, It has such a nice warm gritty tone, and has bags of bottom end.I got my perfect setting within seconds. there is a good clip on you tube [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG9OJdPtb5I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG9OJdPtb5I[/url], may help you!

Im an colchester, so if you are local, you are more than welcome to come over for a try if you wish!