Why become a member? ×

Hi Bass Chatters

voxylady

Hi,

I have been playing bass for about 6 weeks now; after a 6 month search for a bass player I got practising and filled the bottom end frequencies for my band, The Flotels.

I have a '69 Gibson EB-0 copy, an Avon Rose Morris job and am looking for a Fender Jazz Geddy Lee for my small hands to tinker on.

Rig wise, the Ampeg SV-T Classic would be most welcomed under (or beside) the Christmas tree this year but I have got a Hartke/Ashdown head cab setup now.

Style wise I am a James Jameson, Donald Duck Dunn afficionado. Old school rn'b/stax pop and rock.

Plonking and singing at the same time is the hard bit but I'll get there!

welcome to the forum. I only picked up a bass at last xmas myself. I have found this forum a good plce for advice.

As for playing and singing at the same time. I was watching Talking Heads last night, and noticed that David Burns on Whistle Test was clearly keeping his head angled at his fret fingering hand and the mic was in a close position where he could sing into it at the same time as he played, but the playing was obviously taking the bulk of his concentration. Maybe thats the way to go about it.?

Edited by daz

Thanks for the playing and singing advice, I seem to be going down the Macca route of keeping the neck high and angled and playing groove riffs over and over again until I can sing the right line over. I don't want to compromise interesting bass lines for singing cause I have been singing for ages.

What a lovely welcome to the bass community! Great to have this kind of forum for advice and information. I will be checking out Babbit, thanks.

www.theflotels.com

Hi & welcome to the forum.

Always good the hear about bass players doing the vocals as well. I got the hang of backing ok but take my hat off to anyone who does the lead vocals as well. I've always fancied a go and I have a song in mind.

Enjoy the forum, it gets a bit addictive!

Welcome! Bass-playing frontperson? Go fer it! Wish I could do more than backing vox...

Edit: And unless ye be WonderWoman, or have BIG hairy mates, you'd be well advised to stay off the SVT route...
(So says old, knackered, and much surgically abused bassist).
:)

Edited by Telebass