Bit tired of amps for sale

munkonthehill

my advice would be to highlight the title of the amp

press ctrl+c (cmd+c on macs)
then in the searchbar at the top of your browser
press ctrl+v
press enter.

that wasn't that hard was it?
Plus if you're not doing your research into 'what it is' how on earth do you know if you're paying the right price???

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='947992' date='Sep 7 2010, 09:38 AM']....
It may save folk reiterating what the previous person had said in this thread[/quote]

Isn't that telling you anything? or do you just not want to hear it?

Watts don't mean anything anyway. I've had 120W combos that have been louder than 200w ones.

Edited by TimR

Other information that might also give a prospective buyer a 'feel' of the item being sold is the context which the amp is being used. For instance if I'm in a 4 piece rock band that mainly plays pubs and I'm looking for a replacement combo and someone put something like 'I use this in a 4 piece rock band for pub gigs and I've never needed to have it above volume 3 to be heard' I'd have more confidence about buying it that just raw output specs alone. Not suggesting anectdotal evidence should replace specs but that kind of additional info (assuming accurate) could also help.

[quote name='KevB' post='948008' date='Sep 7 2010, 09:47 AM']Other information that might also give a prospective buyer a 'feel' of the item being sold is the context which the amp is being used. For instance if I'm in a 4 piece rock band that mainly plays pubs and I'm looking for a replacement combo and someone put something like 'I use this in a 4 piece rock band for pub gigs and I've never needed to have it above volume 3 to be heard' I'd have more confidence about buying it that just raw output specs alone. Not suggesting anectdotal evidence should replace specs but that kind of additional info (assuming accurate) could also help.[/quote]

aye thats a good point too, as we all know you get loud and quiet amps at the same wattage. personally,,I like the loud ones hahahahaa

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='947966' date='Sep 7 2010, 09:20 AM']Seriously, though - how long does it take to Google a combo to find out the spec? Less than five seconds?[/quote]

Exactly.....and you are going to get every minor detail, if you want it.
A seller might have purchased an amp thats several generations old and things get missed or even glossed over.
Always worth doing your homework,
Even if its just to pass onto [b]your [/b]buyer when you sell the combo because it aint loud enough. :)

Garry

I have notice that there have been lots of threads about prospective buyers, saying.

"I want to see this in an add" "Why don't people do so and so"

Sorry but most posts in the sale section have more info than you usually get on a online shop (depending on the shop) and a lot more than what you get if you walk into Bass Cellar, probably they don't even know what an extention cab is.

If you are interested you have to do your research or ask the seller, but don't take it as gospel, because if I said to anyone I play in a rock band and never use the volume above 3 and if the buyer wanted to return because its not loud enough for their band I'd refuse.

People are getting lazier and lazier nowadays, what's wrong with doing some research.

I see you're currently running a 500W head into a 4x10 also 500W.

BUT according to the manual the 4x10 is 4ohm and at 4ohm the amp runs at 300W. To get the 500W out of the B5R you need an extension cab. But two 4x10s would give 1000W.

How did you come to make the choice of the ampeg gear as to me the speakers seem massively oversized for that amp?

What size combo are you looking for and why? You would get a 2x10 that would comfortably handle the Ampeg B5R.

OK so you were up late last night posting and fed up but you're coming across as quite grouchy :)

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' post='948054' date='Sep 7 2010, 10:24 AM']I see you're currently running a 500W head into a 4x10 also 500W.

BUT according to the manual the 4x10 is 4ohm and at 4ohm the amp runs at 300W. To get the 500W out of the B5R you need an extension cab. But two 4x10s would give 1000W.

How did you come to make the choice of the ampeg gear as to me the speakers seem massively oversized for that amp?

What size combo are you looking for and why? You would get a 2x10 that would comfortably handle the Ampeg B5R.

OK so you were up late last night posting and fed up but you're coming across as quite grouchy :)[/quote]

the ampeg b4x10hlf is 400watt at 4ohmes, so having 2 of these would give me 500watts from my head, thats 250watts into each cab.

i wouldnt say im grouchy(maybe a tad) it just scunners me sometimes that a view on this forum can be squashed or trodden on.

your bang on about a 2x10 cab though,,,,,im looking into this as we speak.

Edited by munkonthehill

OK, I just got the specs from the Ampeg website.

Thinking about it logically and in my experience.

If a combo can have an extension cab fitted then it is unlikely that it will be at full power with just the cab supplied. Otherwise why have an "extension" cab?

If a combo cannot have an extension cab fitted then it definately will be at full power on its own.

Unless you have an example to the contrary?

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' post='948078' date='Sep 7 2010, 10:48 AM']OK, I just got the specs from the Ampeg website.

Thinking about it logically and in my experience.

If a combo can have an extension cab fitted then it is unlikely that it will be at full power with just the cab supplied. Otherwise why have an "extension" cab?

If a combo cannot have an extension cab fitted then it definately will be at full power on its own.

Unless you have an example to the contrary?[/quote]

yeah, my old hughes and kettner bk200 combo had an extention cab port. however adding this would have lowered the wattage.

[quote name='TimR' post='948054' date='Sep 7 2010, 10:24 AM']What size combo are you looking for and why? You would get a 2x10 that would comfortably handle the Ampeg B5R.[/quote]

im mainly looking for a nice high powered combo for portabilty and space saving.

I may be getting a smaller company car, so I thought i would get in and see what kind of combos I could get.

Also, my band only seems to gig 1 every 1-2 months these days, so i feel the 4x10 is just a tad overkill in my rock'n'roll life style.

I had the combos in the past and the were fine, but as gas gets to us all I really fancied a rig. So although I love it to bits, I think a combo would be fine and a bit more practical.

I have adjusted my advert though and now states im looking for a 2x10 :)

I bought a new Warwick 211pro cabinet for £300 two years ago. 400watts might go nicely with the Ampeg. There don't seem to be many secondhand ones around which indicates to me that either not many people bought them or no one wants to sell theirs. I'm quite pleased with it. Depends on how loud and what sound you're after.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' post='948117' date='Sep 7 2010, 11:20 AM']I bought a new Warwick 211pro cabinet for £300 two years ago. 400watts might go nicely with the Ampeg. There don't seem to be many secondhand ones around which indicates to me that either not many people bought them or no one wants to sell theirs. I'm quite pleased with it. Depends on how loud and what sound you're after.[/quote]

i play loud and like a rough dirty sound. its the usual blues/rock i play. this is why the B5R head suits me. It has an OD channel, so thanks to you Tim I have convinced myself to keep it and try getting a 2x10 or a 2x10 and a 1x15 to get the max 500watts if need be. both 4ohmes of course

I can understand the annoyance of people not being entirely accurate in ads, but does anyone really buy gear based purely on an advert?

Surely people already have in mind the stuff they want to acquire, based on detailed experience or having already read-up on things, so they already know pretty much all about the item in question.

Or maybe not?

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='947917' date='Sep 7 2010, 08:15 AM']just incase none of you know me,,im not a novice at buying or selling gear, I have had many amps. I just think it may save my time in telling me if an ext. cab would be required for maximum output of an amp,,,,,,simple[/quote]
well you can assume it wont do full output if the internal speaker is 8ohms

Edited by umph

[quote name='xgsjx' post='948418' date='Sep 7 2010, 03:53 PM']Erm, I'm not getting this. If your B5r runs 400w at 4 ohm & you have a 4 ohm, 500w cab, you're only gonna get 400w into it. Adding a 2nd 4ohm cab won't give you 1000w, but is more likely to blow your amp up.[/quote]

B5R head runs at 300watts 4ohmes, 500watt 2ohmes. my cab runs at 400watts 4ohmes. adding a 2nd 4 ohme cab takes the head to 2ohmes and gives 500watts.

Im not sure where your getting your numbers from.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='948435' date='Sep 7 2010, 04:10 PM']B5R head runs at 300watts 4ohmes, 500watt 2ohmes. my cab runs at 400watts 4ohmes. adding a 2nd 4 ohme cab takes the head to 2ohmes and gives 500watts.

Im not sure where your getting your numbers from.[/quote]

I thought this thread was discussing whether sellers should highlight the possible power output of a [b]COMBO[/b] amp, not a head and cab/s set-up?

Edited by skej21

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='948440' date='Sep 7 2010, 04:17 PM']if you dont like it you dont have to contribute....[/quote]

I'm just trying to help the people who might want to find out how to find the possible output of a combo amp, like your thread was supposed to.

Not everyone on here is an expert in buying, selling and owning lots of amps like yourself.