Why become a member? ×

Battle of the Squier Jazzes: Classic Vibe vs Vintage Modified?

lanark

I'm wanting to upgrade my Squier Affinity P-Bass but am still on a pretty heavy budget. I've seen a lot of love for these two basses, but I'm wondering what the difference is between them and which people would recommend. I played the Classic Vibe in York today and it was a really nice guitar to play ... even with the stock roundwounds, which I've never before managed to get a decent sound out of.

Now, bearing in mind that I'm pretty certain to be putting flats on as soon as I get it (as as part of the setup if I buy from Mormusic) which is these two Squier Jazzes would people suggest is best and why?

Plus ... apart from the retro styling of the Classic, what are the differences between the two models?

Thanks - I'm pretty sure I'll be getting one or the other and any direction will be gratefully received.

Classic Vibe wins in my opinion.

CLASSIC VIBE:

No.1 CV's have an excellent Hi-Mass bridge and brass saddles
No.2 They are better built and the basswood adds resonance, and maintains an overall lighter weight.
No.3 They are made in a more advanced Chinese factory where Jackson's (Owned also by Fender) are built
No.4 Neck / frets on CV's are dead perfect I have tried many and never seen a naff one.

VM's just don't look that well made in comparison and they come with the old style bent tin bridge, the neck pockets are lousy (big gaps on one side on a few that I have tried) the paintwork doesn't look that clever either.

You decide.

No issues with finish or neck joint on my VMJ, but as always with fenders I tried a few first and a couple were rough.

Been extremely pleased with my one, done a good few few gigs with it and can't really fault it.

All the best, Gary

Edited by gary mac

CV!

They are a bit lighter than the VM, the VM is chunkier all round, I'm used to a 62 which the CV is closer to.
The stock pups in the CV sound more livelier to my ears.
The CV is better put together.
The CV has a superb glossy neck (not for everyone).
The CV would make a great modding/replica project. I'm thinking reverse vintage tuners. stacked knobs etc.

Bob.

VMJ :)

Austin Powers 60's CV v Cool as Shaft '70's funk n groove VMJ styling :lol:

.......I still have mine, many basses have come and gone but the VMJ still with me.

....I asked the same question some time ago, answers back then, well it seemed the CV is built a little better although my own VMJ is very good (not Yamaha good though, only a Yamaha is that good :rolleyes: ) but VMJ has 'better' sound, whatever that means...some said warmer, more 70's funkee'ish'type'thang....

...VMJ's maybe more consistant nowadays, I know they were selling very quickly at the start of the year, so much so, I struggled to find a one new, my build date was a only a few weeks from when I received it....heck...I'd like and want both!

Prices have gone up too, mine was £230 new I think?

I don't think you will be dissapointed with either, I have had some very good bassists play my VMJ (well, anyone is better than me!) and they were all amazed at how a budget bass can be so good nowadays, likewise seen no bad press regarding the CV, so it may be down to the look of it at the end of the day....that's how I choose!

Edited by iconic

[quote name='gary mac' post='940788' date='Aug 31 2010, 11:16 AM']A used vmj went for £310.00 on ebay last week, did include a hardcase. Must have been some over enthusiastic/drunken bidding going on.[/quote]

That's (a LOT) more than new! (including a hard case!). Never ceases to amaze me how some people just get click-happy and ebay becomes a game they're determined to "win".

Edited by lanark

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='940566' date='Aug 31 2010, 01:06 AM']No.2 They are better built and the basswood adds resonance, and maintains an overall lighter weight.[/quote]

The CVs are certainly lighter, and better made, but IMO the wood of the VM is much richer tonally, the unplugged sound is a lot warmer on the ones I tried. QC was an issue though. For future modding, I'd get the best VM I could find. For just keeping as-is, probably the CV, but I don't think it'd ever be the tone monster the VM has the potential to be. Maple is an unusual body wood, I think it's a good one if you can stand the weight.

Ill also vote for a CV, seeing as i own one.

I never felt the VM looked as nice as the CV, and i much prefer to have a better bridge and smaller frets. The neck on my CV Jazz is one of the best (or most comfortable) ive ever played.

Build quality is better than three MIA jazz basses i had during August.

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='940921' date='Aug 31 2010, 01:25 PM']CV all the way.

I have a CV James Johnston and a VMJ Fretless and although the VMJ is still really nice the CV is in a higher class in terms of fit, finish, sound and quality of construction.

But....play em both and pick for yourself.[/quote]

Yeah - I've played the CV and loved it ... a lot. I haven't found anywhere nearby that has a VMJ in stock though.

I've only played the one VMJ so can only give my opinions on that. (and I was in the same position as you, choosing between the pair)

It was heavy, not as well built as the CV series, looked cheap (the neck blocks and binding appear to be just drawn on in felt tip), but I felt it sounded better than the CV. Of course, these have the Duncan pickups, but I'd say electrics aside the CV was better quality.

Depends what you want I guess. I've just chucked a different pickup in my CV.

Aren't the standard CV roundwounds D'addario XL's?

I'd be suprised if you couldn't get them to sound nice!

[quote name='lanark' post='940923' date='Aug 31 2010, 01:30 PM']Yeah - I've played the CV and loved it ... a lot. I haven't found anywhere nearby that has a VMJ in stock though.[/quote]

Well the VMs are prefectly respectable and really nice to play. If you got one i'm sure you'd be happy with it...but for me the CV is just a better instrument all round and if I had to choose i'd be going for either the white CV Jazz or the James Johnston (which is great BTW).

Mormusic in York have just quoted me £299 including a full setup, for the CV, with a two week delivery time. I'm trying to get a good deal on a set of flats (as GAK are still quoting £260 inc delivery), because I'd really want to support such a great shop, but that £40 difference is a lot.

[quote name='lanark' post='940973' date='Aug 31 2010, 02:07 PM']Mormusic in York have just quoted me £299 including a full setup, for the CV, with a two week delivery time. I'm trying to get a good deal on a set of flats (as GAK are still quoting £260 inc delivery), because I'd really want to support such a great shop, but that £40 difference is a lot.[/quote]

Yeah seems a little pricey. Do they not do a price match?

[quote name='jim_bass' post='941055' date='Aug 31 2010, 03:32 PM']I tried both the CV and VM Jazz when I was looking and found the CV had a much nicer feel. I love the feel of the neck - really well finished.

I picked mine up on here for about £200 second hand.[/quote]

Damn - nothing cheap ever appears when I want to buy it! :)

[quote name='lanark' post='942682' date='Sep 1 2010, 09:13 PM']Damn - nothing cheap ever appears when I want to buy it! :)[/quote]

There are two Fiesta Red Classic Vibe Squiers in the For Sale section at the moment, both £200.

You may need to search for them though, as things move quickly on BC!

ok I'll do it.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=96453&hl=Classic+vibe"]HERE[/url] is one and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=91987&hl=Classic+vibe"]HERE[/url] is the other.

Get em while thy're hot!

[quote name='lanark' post='942682' date='Sep 1 2010, 09:13 PM']Damn - nothing cheap ever appears when I want to buy it! :)[/quote]

I have just been in to Dawsons Chester. Their price for a classic vibe Jazz is now £379!. Glad i bought mine in the spring for £280. Though even then, those "in the know" were predicting that Fender would have to increase the price of this guitar, as too many were buying them and declaring them as good as if not better than the mexico Fenders. In fact i read this in every bass forum i went to, to research it before buying.

ps: Their Squier James Johnston Jazz Bass was £389! has the entire range gone up ?

Edited by daz

Yeah, i was looking on Dawsons site this morning. Quite (very) expensive.

I paid £249 for my CV Jazz from Soundslive in June. They still have one in stock for £289

I do like the look of the amber VM P with maple neck. Might go for that soon.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='daz' post='944591' date='Sep 3 2010, 02:48 PM']I have just been in to Dawsons Chester. Their price for a classic vibe Jazz is now £379!. Glad i bought mine in the spring for £280. Though even then, those "in the know" were predicting that Fender would have to increase the price of this guitar, as too many were buying them and declaring them as good as if not better than the mexico Fenders. In fact i read this in every bass forum i went to, to research it before buying.

ps: Their Squier James Johnston Jazz Bass was £389! has the entire range gone up ?[/quote]
Yikes! Reidys are still offering the CVJ at £269 on-line / £279 in-store, which if memory serves was what I paid when I got mine from them last year.

They've also got the VMJ at £227.99 on-line / £249.00 in-store. Think mine was just over £200 back in January 2008.