Why become a member? ×

Battle of the Squier Jazzes: Classic Vibe vs Vintage Modified?

lanark

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='944629' date='Sep 3 2010, 03:30 PM']Yeah, i was looking on Dawsons site this morning. Quite (very) expensive.

I paid £249 for my CV Jazz from Soundslive in June. They still have one in stock for £289

I do like the look of the amber VM P with maple neck. Might go for that soon.[/quote]

Its actually a fine shop, (a kid with his dad was twanging a guitar whilst i was in there)I think the only problem with [url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/"]Dawsons[/url] is the lack of competition. Apart from those prices its a good shop with knowlegeable staff who let you try instruments. There is one other music shop in Chester though, just off the town hall square. [url="http://www.backalleymusic.co.uk/index.html"]Back alley music[/url]. (dont know anything about the staff here, though i must say i never heard anyone playing on or ask to try an instrument in there) The prices there are:

Back Alley price: Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass Olympic White £269.00 - Dawsons price £379
Back Alley price: Squier Classic Vibe 60s P Bass Sonic Blue £279
Back Alley price: Squier Classic Vibe 50s P Bass Lake Placid Blue £289 - Dawsons price £389
Back Alley price: Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Natural £249 - Dawsons price £299

I certainly know where id go if i were in the market for a squier bass.

I have no affiliation with either shop.

sorry for thread hijack. Let us know how you got on with your choice.

Edited by daz

Okay - I succumbed and now have a lovely white CV Jazz on order. MOR Music in York will conduct a full set-up when it arrives and are even going to change the strings to flats for no charge (AND give me the stock strings in case I want to change back to the XLs it comes with). So, for £299 I have a lovely bass a setup that would probably have cost me £30 and a set of strings that would have cost me about £25 too.

Take that GAK!

Edited by lanark

[quote name='lanark' post='945275' date='Sep 4 2010, 11:03 AM']Okay - I summumbed and now have a lovely white CV Jazz on order. MOR Music in York will conduct a full set-up when it arrives and are even going to change the strings to flats for no charge (AND give me the stock strings in case I want to change back to the XLs it comes with). So, for £299 I have a lovely bass a setup that would probably have cost me £30 and a set of strings that would have cost me about £25 too.

Take that GAK![/quote]

Nice one, im sure you made the right choice.

Just be aware those strings are Fenders, not XL's. Made by the same company (D'addario) i believe but they are definitely Fender strings.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='945279' date='Sep 4 2010, 11:07 AM']Nice one, im sure you made the right choice.

Just be aware those strings are Fenders, not XL's. Made by the same company (D'addario) i believe but they are definitely Fender strings.[/quote]

Ahhhh - my mistake. I think someone on a nother thread about the CV line had said that the stock strings were XLs. Anyway - I normally hate roundwounds and even I could get on with the ones on the display bass I tried out, so I reckoned it woudl be nice to have them in case I decide to swop them back for any reason.

Should be coming in a week or so, so I'll let everyone know when it arrives and post pics.

Doesn't have to be the end of this thread though - someone else has to stick up for the VMJ. I liked that one too, actually, but it didn't quite feel as nice.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='945401' date='Sep 4 2010, 02:05 PM']I also thought they were XL's when i got mine but i was pointed to a large thread on TB explaining what was going on.

I look forward to hearing what you think of it as im still very tempted to get one.[/quote]

Now that I've put the deposit down on what will be my very first brand new bass, I'm in that worrying phase - have I made the right decision. I'm used to a big boomy P-bass sound, wiith flats and a sponge mute.

Although the Jazz was really easy to play, will I be able to get anything approximating that low end with the Jazz?

Well I'm no expert but I would say if you like the p tone you miss that with the jazz.
I'm the same but I did want a jazz so I don't mind. I've put in wizard pups and that's got me a bit more thump but In my experience a jazz will do the job but won't sound like a P.
This is why I'm getting a CV P as I do miss that P thump. I wouldn't bother if I didn't have the jazz neck already, and I like my HW enough to not want to spend a lot on a P but I think if you want a P tone you need to get a P.

Edited by dave_bass5