Why become a member? ×

Rehearsal areas

Colledge

Over the years ive practiced in all sorts of places from a small barn to massive function halls to expensive floating room studio set-ups.
Finding decent practice can sometimes be a pain in the arse because the drummer i mostly work with finds it impossible to play quietly, forcing the rest of the band to play at near gig level, so alot of places have had complaints.

where do you guys get your rehearsals in? and how much do you usually pay to use the practice space?

always paid rehearsal rooms. I've never had the luxury of space enough for rehearsals at a house plus there's the neighbours issue.

Very recently with my current band we've managed to get a residency room at rehearsal studios which has made things much cheaper and easier. I'd recommend it if you want to practice frequently.

One band I'm in rehearses in the lead singers garage, partly because he has the space and partly because he's a lazy bum! The deciding factor though is a set of neighbours who don't complain although we play at about 80% gig level (for the bar gigs which are admittedly quite quiet by normal standards)

The other band I'm in doesn't practise at all. Never. I'm actually slightly proud of the fact and will use this smug looking smiley :)

Edited by Commando Jack

Our drummer has a basement for all his kit so we practice down there. It's not too loud and his family are ok with it. There isn't much headroom, so both he & I sit down. The singer and guitarists are short arses so they can stand up.

In the past I have done just about all the other options, but it's now that counts.

Paid practice room but as two of the band aren't local we don't let them pay as they pay more in petrol... mildly annoying as I've played in a couple of bands 50+ miles away where the other band members still wanted my fifth! It's a nice idea though and I'll adopt that practice in future.

We also have access to a local community hall for free acoustic rehearsals but we don't use that one so much

The singer's garage on a Sunday afternoon. On the bright side, it gives a decent sound and it's right at the back of the garden, so there's not too much noise in the house. Unfortunately, the neighbours don't seem to take too kindly to repeated cursing through the mic and our drummer's need to beat the kit at every opportunity :)

[quote name='Colledge' post='940577' date='Aug 31 2010, 01:32 AM']How much do you guys pay for a proper equipped rehearsal studio?[/quote]

Between £8-10 per hour,
Drum kit is extra but nobody bothers with the hire kits.
Backline is free but nobody bothers with that either, IME.

Edited by JTUK

I've voted "friends farm/barn" but it doesn't quite give the full picture - yes it's a farm but it's also a outdoor activities/team-building centre, so there's a building for meetings/briefings etc that we use. Plenty of power, internet access, kitchen etc etc. £25 when-ever we use it. Which is a bonus if we want to rehearse all day at a weekend. Bit pricey for mid-week rehearsals as we can get proper rehearsal facilities for the same price. Especially now that the owner where we rehearse has stipulated that he wants paying in notes and won;t take coins anymore (there's 4 of us, so until they come out with £1.25 note one of us ends up with a pocket full of change).

Blues rock covers band - paid rehearsal studio.

Other covers band and originals band (which are pretty much the same band) - guitarist's dad's studio at the bottom of his garden, properly soundproofed and we pay a nominal sum so I'll class that as paid rehearsal studio too.

Ceilidh band - the pub.

Acoustic duo - our lounge, as it's me and Mrs Zero.

Most of the time my main band reherse at our guitarist / singer's house. It's pretty handy as it's fairly central for us all, there's loads of space so we can keep everything there ( I just turn up with basses, drummer turns up with sticks etc) and it's a downstairs room too, so we never have to lug stuff up flights of stairs. Plus, the upshot is the neighbours really like us provided we're quiet by half 8 (kids have to go to bed) Win win :)

Other projects I've rehersed in studios, churches, rehersal rooms and such too, so really it depends what and where I'm playing :rolleyes: