Why become a member? ×

Where do you get your stage garb?

oldslapper

When I play on stage, I always like to make a bit of an effort on the old clothes front (probably a throw back to the 70's when the bands tried to look better than the audience), nothing spangley, or lycra at my age, but dress up a bit,
You know, black shirts/troos/pointy shoes/, or black suit with something red underneath,,,,blah, blah

Anyway Friday night's gig with Hollywood Killers, I get my clobber on and realise it's all from Charity Shops, I was a complete walking advert for "Man at Oxfam".

So wondered, does anyone else get their slightly quirky stage clothes from cast off's from the fat/rich/dead? Or am I the only saddo who does this? Or wouldn't you dare be seen in anything from a "Charidy" shop mate?

EBay too. 70s shirts and coats etc are easily sourced there. I bought a 70s jacket yesterday from a random word search using the words "Gene Hunt"! I have a few bit from the charity shops but living in a small town online seems to be better. I like the idea of bands looking cool and looking like they are in bands, even if sometimes your image revolves around pretending you didn't make much effort.

I get all of my shirts from charity shops. I've picked up loads shirts from Ted Baker,YSL,Jaeger and Armani and others
for under a tenner.
The quality of gear in charity shops has really improved over the last few years.

[quote name='Johnston' post='940256' date='Aug 30 2010, 07:37 PM']Wasn't Kylies famous gold hotpants from a charity shop??[/quote]

And now they're worth millions.

Nothing wrong with rocking the vintage look, I picked up a tweed jacket for £15 that looks the busniess and own various hideous 70's shirts for playing live in.

Usually just my own clothes, preferably a bit scruffy/ripped, and sometimes I'll wear my Dad's old leather jacket, which I've cut the sleeves and zip off.

That said, we do have a Halloween gig where we'll be dressing up as women, so I'll probably be after a dress from a charity shop. Also probably wear a pair of my friend's ripped tights, which I saved from being thrown by putting them over my head, jumping out at her Father and demanding 'Your money or your life', leading to some very funny looks I get from him whenever I'm over her house :)

[quote name='the_skezz' post='940895' date='Aug 31 2010, 01:04 PM']That said, we do have a Halloween gig where we'll be dressing up as women, so I'll probably be after a dress from a charity shop.[/quote]

You're braver than I would be.

"Dorriiiis - we've got another pervert in!!!!"

Edited by spinynorman

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='940995' date='Aug 31 2010, 02:30 PM']Oh, and Oxfam has got a bit pricey these days, tip from me and the wife, any charity shop with offal in the name is still good and cheap, kidneys, hearts, livers etc.
Go to the offal shops my friend.
:)[/quote]
:rolleyes: :lol: :o :o :P ;) :rolleyes: