Why become a member? ×

Whats this on the rear of a Fender Precision headstock?

coffee_king

That is a strap button. I am no fender autority but i believe they used to, or maybe still do put these on the vintage reissue basses. I seem to remember they were fitted to allow players switching from upright bass to play the electric bass in a position they were more accustomed to. So basically strap from back of the body to headstock for extreme angles.

As I said I am no Fender expert so I wouldnt be suprised if what I have just said in nonsense.

Andy Rourke's precision was a 1964 and that is a strap button, as Cosmo said.

Fender put strap buttons up there for upright players... I can't remember ever seeing one used that way. My 62RI Jazz has the strap button at the back of the headstock and I can report, having tried it, that it really doesn't work!

Apparently it's called a "hootenanny" and can be found on Fender basses made between 1960 and 1970 (and reissues)

[url="http://fenderbassplayer.com/80-article/98-precision-bass-timeline-1951-1982"]http://fenderbassplayer.com/80-article/98-precision-bass-timeline-1951-1982[/url]

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1368623494' post='2079330']
That is a strap button. I am no fender autority but i believe they used to, or maybe still do put these on the vintage reissue basses. I seem to remember they were fitted to allow players switching from upright bass to play the electric bass in a position they were more accustomed to. So basically strap from back of the body to headstock for extreme angles.

As I said I am no Fender expert so I wouldnt be suprised if what I have just said in nonsense.
[/quote]

You are now a Fender expert as this is correct!!

I have one on the rear of my Jap re issue 57 P.

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1368748020' post='2081163']

What are the chances of two guys on here from Paisley both with 57RI P basses?
[/quote]

I've been to Paisley, bought basses from Jezza, and got a Squier 57 JV with one of those strange strap buttons! Weird huh!
Oh I've never tried using the button, but I may now.