Why become a member? ×

SOLD!

ajerthebadger

I'm currently looking to upgrade to a better bass and just want to aks a quick question. How does the sound and neck compare to a standard US Fender Jazz? Please excuse my ignorance, but I've never tried a Sterling (or any Musicman) before.

At a price like this I really want to go for it - even doing a round trip from the Northwest!

Edited by Bidd

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='950965' date='Sep 9 2010, 07:21 PM']I thought this was sold! :)[/quote]

Yes it had! The perils of the BC market place.

[quote name='Bidd' post='951339' date='Sep 10 2010, 12:23 AM']I'm currently looking to upgrade to a better bass and just want to aks a quick question. How does the sound and neck compare to a standard US Fender Jazz? Please excuse my ignorance, but I've never tried a Sterling (or any Musicman) before.

At a price like this I really want to go for it - even doing a round trip from the Northwest![/quote]

I haven't A/B'd a Sterling and a Jazz but people do say the feel is quite the same. Soundwise, you can definitely get a USA Std sound from the Sterling. I tried a new Jazz not too long ago and it was very modern and burly and loud which is easy to create with the 3-band EQ and toggle switch.

Some more experienced BC'ers will be able to shed more light on differences and feel etc, there is a thread on Sterlings in the 'Basses' forum, that will hopefully answer any queries you may have. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Bidd' post='951339' date='Sep 10 2010, 12:23 AM']How does the sound and neck compare to a standard US Fender Jazz? Please excuse my ignorance, but I've never tried a Sterling (or any Musicman) before.[/quote]

The Sterling neck feels slightly thicker front-to-back and more rounded than the jazz basses I've played. The nut width is the same. I've got pretty small hands (long-ish fingers but a very narrow palm). It feels slightly different from a jazz neck but I got used to it pretty quickly.

As regards the sound, you can set the pickups switch to single coil and play with the EQ to approximate a Jazz with the rear pickup played solo, though it doesn't nail the sound, partly because the Sterling pickup is closer to the neck than the rear pickup of a Jazz bass. Works better when using roundwounds.

It's a good compromise if you've only got the one bass, as I currently have.

Sterlings are fantastic basses and this is a really good price for one for this country. In fact I don't think you'd find one cheaper by importing in the current financial climate. If you can spare the cash you should go for it.