Why become a member? ×

Scott Thunes with Zappa 1988 - I love this!

xilddx

[quote name='KevB' post='923679' date='Aug 13 2010, 11:56 AM']Ah, but he's using a pick so will get an automatic thumbs down from all the 'proper' bassists on here... :rolleyes:[/quote]

No ........I've already said that it's great :)

Dude I've listened to Scott Thunes play with pick and without and he is great!! a truly great musician.
Scott is a very weird guy, he once said that he started playing with pick for two reasons:

- He wanted to get the sound of another Zappa ex-bassist he listened too and fell in love with the sound.

- As the awkward guys he is, he always loved to go against the crowd just for the fcuk of it.

He used to play I think was an Ibanez active and he changed everything to P & Jazz basses with pick and Ampeg. At least that's was he said in one of his interviews.

[quote name='Mcgiver69' post='923797' date='Aug 13 2010, 01:11 PM']- He wanted to get the sound of another Zappa ex-bassist he listened too and fell in love with the sound.

He used to play I think was an Ibanez active and he changed everything to P & Jazz basses with pick and Ampeg. At least that's was he said in one of his interviews.[/quote]

He wanted to get the sound of Tom Fowler on,I think 'Roxy and Elsewhere'. Hence P-Bass with a pick.
He actually used Carvin basses early on rather than Ibanez-he started using the Precision live on Zappa's '84 tour.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='923931' date='Aug 13 2010, 02:34 PM']I remember reading an interview that Scott did a few years ago and man, was he saying some controversial stuff! I think most of it related to falling out with band mates on Zappa tours and waging war across the stage every night![/quote]

At least he's not a complete turnip like Warren Cuccurullo.

[quote name='grahamd' post='923883' date='Aug 13 2010, 01:54 PM']was privileged enough to see Zappa at Wembley in '88, I think they were his last shows here. just magical. Thunes a great fit for Zappa I always thought, punky and contrary[/quote]
I was there too, amazing evening.

I see that Scott Thunes is involved with the Zappa 70th Birthday thing at the Roundhouse. Does anyone know whether he's in ZPZ now? I hope so.

Also, didn't know there was a dvd of the '88 tour. What is it called?

Hi Nige

Do you have a link for this - I'm having problems on this computer seeing embedded videos for some reason!

I always thought that Thunes seemed to be a bit of a d1ck as a person, but still a great bassist in a truly great band......

Edited by peteb

[quote name='peteb' post='926280' date='Aug 16 2010, 11:19 AM']Hi Nige

Do you have a link for this - I'm having problems on this computer seeing embedded videos for some reason!

I always thought that Thunes seemed to be a bit of a d1ck as a person, but still a great bassist in a truly great band......[/quote]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bksTWhelw0Y&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bksTWhelw0Y...player_embedded[/url]

He just seems to speak his mind and won't tolerate liars. He does seem a bit odd though.

[quote name='silddx' post='926390' date='Aug 16 2010, 01:04 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bksTWhelw0Y&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bksTWhelw0Y...player_embedded[/url]

He just seems to speak his mind and won't tolerate liars. He does seem a bit odd though.[/quote]
Still a good player thru!

Cheers for the link dude......