Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Green Paint

charic

[quote name='charic' post='103575' date='Dec 12 2007, 09:19 PM']Ok heres the deal i want to find a NICE metallic green for my pbass. Green being my fave colour, however these seem hard to come accross. Wondered if u had any ideas?[/quote]

Find a car colour you like... then track down the paint code?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='103712' date='Dec 13 2007, 09:17 AM']I've just had my Warwick sprayed with Lamboughini Muckylargo orange, supplied by car paint suppliers and applied by a luthier.[/quote]

my friend had a bogey green bass guitar which he bought on e bay for about £40. it was a westfield 5 string or something...
he sprayed it black with a green line down the fretboard. Really nice

tbh i dont think you should spray it... there are more wacky ideas ...
Syd Barret from pink floyd stuck broken mirrors to his guitar...

you could just wear a green suit instead? =D

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='103712' date='Dec 13 2007, 09:17 AM']I've just had my Warwick sprayed with Lamboughini Muckylargo orange, supplied by car paint suppliers and applied by a luthier.[/quote]

Is it expensive to get a luthier to do that? I also want a green p-bass.

[quote name='Alfie' post='104147' date='Dec 14 2007, 12:14 AM']Is it expensive to get a luthier to do that? I also want a green p-bass.[/quote]

It really depends on the quality of finish you desire! If you are spraying a bolt on Fender 'style' bass worth a couple hundred quid that you are going to beat the cr*p out of, then you may as well get your friendly local back street body shop to do it, probably for £50 - £100. If it is a genuine expensive article or something unusual (my bass is a Warwick with the centre neck-thru left revealed with no shouldered edges), then £200-£400 will get the job done. Prep work is what eats up the budget, so the more that you can do the better. However, do you want to spoil a good job for the sake of paying someone to do it properly. I wouldn't trust someone who knows nothing about basses to sand and prep my pride and joy but putting a belt sander to a Squire... go on then! Also consider what your local panel beater and sprayer knows about neck pockets, bolt recesses etc and go from there.

Another option is to keep the original body as it is (or sell it) and get a brandoni alder precision body for £90.Then spray it with paint from a larger branch of halfords where they mix the paint to your requirements - last time I did this there were three large books of colours and my daughter chose a pale lilac for her musicmaster bass.

Yeah sorry i should of thought about what i was typing :) i know how to go about getting it done. I was asking for examples of what you consider to be a nice metallic green. Altho the idea of green n black stripes on a pbass is great i reckon haha

This is the colour bass I want.

I have a Squier P-Bass that I don't really use very much. I was thinking about getting it painted and sticking in some new pups, but is it worth it? The thing is probably worth about £100 so can I really justify spending the same again (and more) to make it look good, even though it will still have its inherent problems with high action and lack of sustain?

[quote name='Alfie' post='105648' date='Dec 17 2007, 11:23 PM']This is the colour bass I want.

I have a Squier P-Bass that I don't really use very much. I was thinking about getting it painted and sticking in some new pups, but is it worth it? The thing is probably worth about £100 so can I really justify spending the same again (and more) to make it look good, even though it will still have its inherent problems with high action and lack of sustain?[/quote]

In short no! However, the action should be treatable... lack of sustain is trickier. Not sure without playing the bass why you have that problem. Though if the strings are a mile from the pup then you may be losing it there and/or the neck bolts aren't tensioned correctly... bridge sh*gged... body wood cr*p... tuners kapput... pup shot. I'd still not throw £10 at the aesthetics of a bass that is unplayable. Sort that first then decide.

[quote name='Alfie' post='105648' date='Dec 17 2007, 11:23 PM']This is the colour bass I want.

I have a Squier P-Bass that I don't really use very much. I was thinking about getting it painted and sticking in some new pups, but is it worth it? The thing is probably worth about £100 so can I really justify spending the same again (and more) to make it look good, even though it will still have its inherent problems with high action and lack of sustain?[/quote]
I'd avoid it.

why not keeping an eye out for any better basses in the same color you want? :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='105656' date='Dec 17 2007, 11:37 PM']In short no! However, the action should be treatable... lack of sustain is trickier. Not sure without playing the bass why you have that problem. Though if the strings are a mile from the pup then you may be losing it there and/or the neck bolts aren't tensioned correctly... bridge sh*gged... body wood cr*p... tuners kapput... pup shot. I'd still not throw £10 at the aesthetics of a bass that is unplayable. Sort that first then decide.[/quote]

Cheers for the input

I might use it for a project. I'm not going to sell it, so I might as well have a go myself. The action is much better than is was thanks to a little tweak of the truss rod, however I can't get the strings much lower at the bridge because of some pretty uneven fret wires. My best option with the action is to change the nut.

I think I will give painting it a go- there are some pretty good walk-throughs on the internet. I don't think buying a green one is an option as I have never seen a P-Bass that colour for sale. So I don't think I have anything to lose- if I balls it up, then I have ruined a bass I don't really need. If it turns out great then I have a good looking thing that is by no means unplayable- it just isn't as tempting as my other basses.

How green are we talking?

Candy Apple Green...

Sage Green Metallic (a standard Fender MIM colour and previously available on US models, there's a MIM P on eBay at the mo)...

Surf Green...

Foam Green...

Sherwood Green Metallic...

Teal Green Metallic...

Emerald Green...

Personally I'm not a lover of green guitars but quite fancy the idea of a green flip/flop paint job. Saw a car once that had one which had an orangey-yellow as the flip colour.

im an artist so no idea.
But if it is acrylic spray paint then look for a shop that sells to local graffiti 'artists'. Its bassed on car paint. Is a load cheaper (£3 ish for a can) comes with a range of nibs.
If it doesnt really play that well anyway see if you dont mind messing it up